Notices

WRX Bugeye needs some assistance maybe from Trader!

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2012, 12:13 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Bugeye needs some assistance maybe from Trader!

hi all

still been playing around with the WRX to try to cure this runing issue where the turbo and the uppipe has been glowing red.

it does it after a hard run of full boost a couple of times, but when driven easy doesnt do it.

ive just changed the plugs to NGK platinums it has 7's but ive put 6's in and gapped to 0.6. the miss seems to have gone and she is running lovely.

the problem seems maybe to be the boost soloniod. the boost goes all over the place.

it boosts up to 1.3 bar then backs off the 0.5bar then bounces between the two. the only way is to feed the throttle gently to stick it at 1bar or just above and it runs fine.

when i changed the plugs they showed no sign of detonation etc the plug end was a brown red colour and the electrode a brown colour

not sure what ecu is on it and i know i need to sort it but I am struggling to find someone who can look at it quickly.

can anyone help me tomorrow? got cash etc no problem.

i am in northants, cant get hold of ZEN.

thanks
Old 03 January 2012, 12:34 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Stock boost is only about 1bar isn't it? Do you have some sort of boost controller on there?
Old 03 January 2012, 12:35 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

thought stock boost on a bug was 0.8bar

it runs when steady 1 to 1.2 bar
Old 03 January 2012, 12:38 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

I asked the same question ab while ago and I think the consensus was 0.98bar max boost. Have you got some sort of manual boost controller in yours to increase this?
Old 03 January 2012, 12:47 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Sounds like could be a few things mate check boost leak ..... which im sure you have done , but check again easy to miss one trust me , Turbo actuator or the actuator
pipe could be fu@# also try spraying some cleaner throw the boost soloniod thats what controls boost pressure . As for the up pipe glowing red sounds like a new one is in order
could be the gassis are not getting out fast enought check for a MBC stock boost for a bug is 0.8 bar
Old 03 January 2012, 12:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock boost is about 1-bar. Has the car been remapped in the past as they can run to about 1.2 bar before maxing the injectors out.

Does this happen in all gears or only the higher ones?

It sounds like it could be the boost correction tables need a tweak on the map as the car over-boosts on WOT and then over-corrects but will eventually stop oscillating and correct itself.

Try either Racedynamix (Duncan) or FB Tuning (Rich) to see if they are in your area and can look at the map. Both charge reasonable rates
Old 03 January 2012, 01:00 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Stock boost is about 1-bar. Has the car been remapped in the past as they can run to about 1.2 bar before maxing the injectors out.

Does this happen in all gears or only the higher ones?

It sounds like it could be the boost correction tables need a tweak on the map as the car over-boosts on WOT and then over-corrects but will eventually stop oscillating and correct itself.

Try either Racedynamix (Duncan) or FB Tuning (Rich) to see if they are in your area and can look at the map. Both charge reasonable rates

the problem is i dont know if the car has been remapped or not.

when i brought it it had a cat back system on the car, i beleive all the cats are fitted still certainly sounds that way as well. it had a itg panel filter fitted too.

car has also felt like it pulses under boost and fitting a boost guage confirmed this.

I cant remember if its all the gears as i generally dont give it beans until the higher gears anyway.

just need someone to look at it and tell me what the score is.

if the cat in the down pipe was block would it display these symptoms? could the uppipe and turbo glowing be just down to the over boosting heating them up?
Old 03 January 2012, 01:01 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mitman2501
Sounds like could be a few things mate check boost leak ..... which im sure you have done , but check again easy to miss one trust me , Turbo actuator or the actuator
pipe could be fu@# also try spraying some cleaner throw the boost soloniod thats what controls boost pressure . As for the up pipe glowing red sounds like a new one is in order
could be the gassis are not getting out fast enought check for a MBC stock boost for a bug is 0.8 bar
it hasnt got any boost controller fitted just standard solonoid
Old 03 January 2012, 01:12 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Take the solonoid off really clean it out check all boost pipes small ones are little fu'#ers 0.8 is standard mate you will get a little boost spike but should hold about there i had same problem with my old classic in the end i just got a new one sorted it right out sign of detonation on the plugs will be because your over boosting you should hit boost cut to stop this but mine didnt eighter crazy be careful mate by by engine you get my drift

Last edited by mitman2501; 03 January 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I had the same pulsing issues both before and after a remap, with and without cats which is why I'm suggesting the boost correction tables. A mapper would be able to tell whether or not it has been mapped when they plug it in.

If the internals of the up-pipe cat have collapsed, which is not unknown, the cat could be burning up and eventually the bits will enter and destroy the turbo and engine. There is normally and EGT sensor on the up-pipe that will throw an engine management light if it is over-heating; it is worth getting it checked out ASAP. I have fitted a decat up-pipe from an STI into mine
Old 03 January 2012, 01:17 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

Take the solonoid off really clean it out check all boost pipes small ones are little fu'#ers 0.8 is standard mate you will get a little boost spike but should hold about there i had same problem with my old classic in the end i just got a new one sorted it right out sign of detonation on the plugs will be because your over boosting you should hit boost cut to stop this but mine didnt eighter crazy be careful mate by by engine you get my drift
there is no sign of det on the plugs they seem completely fine which is why I thought it could be something else.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:18 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

I had the same pulsing issues both before and after a remap, with and without cats which is why I'm suggesting the boost correction tables. A mapper would be able to tell whether or not it has been mapped when they plug it in.

If the internals of the up-pipe cat have collapsed, which is not unknown, the cat could be burning up and eventually the bits will enter and destroy the turbo and engine. There is normally and EGT sensor on the up-pipe that will throw an engine management light if it is over-heating; it is worth getting it checked out ASAP. I have fitted a decat up-pipe from an STI into mine
i thought there were only cats in the down pipe and mid pipe ie two behind the turbo, is there one before the turbo as well?
Old 03 January 2012, 01:19 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy bird
i thought there were only cats in the down pipe and mid pipe ie two behind the turbo, is there one before the turbo as well?
On a standard bugeye WRX there is one in the up-pipe too, PITA to remove and something that is not fitted to later cars
Old 03 January 2012, 01:23 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

On a standard bugeye WRX there is one in the up-pipe too, PITA to remove and something that is not fitted to later cars
would that be making the exhaust housing glow on the turbo as well? i could understand the up pipe
Old 03 January 2012, 01:26 PM
russellgarwood4174
Scooby Regular

I had this on my bug was due to the CAT in the up pipe being knackered... removed up pipe cut out CAT then welded back together, have changed exhaust turbo back with a japspeed sports cat system passes emmissions fine and no more glowing.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:33 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russellgarwood4174
I had this on my bug was due to the CAT in the up pipe being knackered... removed up pipe cut out CAT then welded back together, have changed exhaust turbo back with a japspeed sports cat system passes emmissions fine and no more glowing.

did it make your turbo glow too?
Old 03 January 2012, 01:35 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

JonMc is Right guys but like I said if glowing gassis are not getting out ! does sound like you have a few problems thats makeing the other one worse try what i said and check the cats if your after more power get a better exhurst st

Last edited by mitman2501; 03 January 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:38 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

YES !!! just think how hot it gets...... if the gassis are not getting out it will just getting hoter and hoter

Last edited by mitman2501; 03 January 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

would that be making the exhaust housing glow on the turbo as well? i could understand the up pipe
As mitman says, it's just heat build up and basic thermal dynamics includes the transfer of heat to adjacent objects -it has to be basic because that's all I did

Think about it like a hot cup of coffee, coffee is warm, the mug then gets warm, and if you hold the mug your hands will get warm all heating up to the same temperature eventually
Old 03 January 2012, 01:49 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

well im gonna change the uppipe tomorow then and go from there. not looking forward to it as iv read it a pita!
Old 03 January 2012, 01:56 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

well im gonna change the uppipe tomorow then and go from there. not looking forward to it as iv read it a pita!
It is - 2 options, jack the drivers side of the engine slightly to let it drop down, or remove the turbo, I did the latter. The decat up-pipe fits on with none of these dramas
Old 03 January 2012, 02:06 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you have lots off light get's dark down there lol take your time with it
If it was me i would take it some where and have a full sytem fitted decat the lot mate even ebay it just take your time and look hard for a good one not a power flow tho poo!!!!

Last edited by mitman2501; 03 January 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03 January 2012, 02:07 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

It is - 2 options, jack the drivers side of the engine slightly to let it drop down, or remove the turbo, I did the latter. The decat up-pipe fits on with none of these dramas
dont really want to remove the turbo so im gonna see how i get on!

early start in the morning!
Old 03 January 2012, 02:21 PM
mitman2501
Scooby Regular

Heat shield a pain mate just letting you know now lol
Old 03 January 2012, 02:37 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Just make sure you have lots off light get's dark down there lol take your time with it
If it was me i would take it some where and have a full sytem fitted decat the lot mate even ebay it just take your time and look hard for a good one not a power flow tho poo!!!!
Don't forget remap as well lol.
Old 03 January 2012, 02:53 PM
andy bird
Scooby Regular

gonna get it remapped as well just got to get it booked in!