Notices

Starting to think a scooby isnt for me!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2011, 04:08 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to think a scooby isnt for me!!

Hey peepz, once again i have a small problem with my scoob.....

it seems to spend more time in bits than it does on the road!!!! This weeks problem is........

After rebuilding the car after replacing the waterpump and cam belt, which all went fine with no problems. Drove the car around for a few days with no problems at all (a rareity at the mo!) Then the other day drove it for about half hour and parked up, returned to the car twenty mins or so later went to start it and was greated with a 'click' tried it several times and then it just started fine. Drove it home and once again it started fine when i tried it again. Next morning it started fine no problems. Then drove it a good thirty odd miles parked up and guess what.....'click' again. Left it for a few hours whilst shopping, came back and it was fine. This morning i went out to it and was greated with the 'click', tried again and this time it turned over but the battery was too flat to turn it fast enough to fire. A Jump start from the girlfriends getz and away it went.

Now im guessing its the starter motor, with the click coming from a knackered solonoid. they thing confusing me is why the battery suddenly went flat.....unless somehow the starter is draining it over night now!!

Are the starters on most scoobs interchangeable.....i.e would a starter from a 2000 turbo or even 1.8 fit a sport?? As i have found a few locally fairly cheaply!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Cheers peepz
Old 30 December 2011, 04:18 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

When its running check the voltage from the Alternator, as it may not be making charge.
If a starter is clicking its trying to start but not enough power to turn it over, I think your looking at the effect of the problem and not the cause.
Old 30 December 2011, 04:29 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jimbob
When its running check the voltage from the Alternator, as it may not be making charge.
If a starter is clicking its trying to start but not enough power to turn it over, I think your looking at the effect of the problem and not the cause.
Have checked that dude, its making 13.8v when its running so kinda ruled that out, but will check again
Old 30 December 2011, 04:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Starter motor solenoid possibly, had the same issue on my old Toyota.
Old 02 January 2012, 05:33 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Ok this is now really bugging me.......have tested to make sure the alternator is charging as i said before and all seemed fine. Tried a new battery on the car and the problem remained, so was sure it was a starter motor problem. However whilst driving the car home yesterday, i flicked the indicator on at a junction only to see the rev counter skipping in time with the indicator and both green arrows blinking at me got the car home and once again it would not start. Noticed last night when it was on the drive the the digital clock is constantly on....this may be something that always stays on and just noticed it doing it......but this is all starting to really confuse me now!!!!!
Old 02 January 2012, 05:36 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Right, have you got any light gauges, how long has the stereo been in, have you got a delimiter chip off eBay or the sort?
Old 02 January 2012, 05:39 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bad earth to me
Old 02 January 2012, 05:40 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

All the other dials and gauges seem fine, with no problems. And the headunit has been in it since i brought it
Old 02 January 2012, 05:55 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

I'd start by double checking all connections to any electrical accessories the gauges and stereo for example and make sure all connections are tight.
Old 02 January 2012, 06:01 PM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

As above, bad earth somewhere
Old 02 January 2012, 06:11 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Thankyou for any advice so far guys, guess i will start the trial and elimation process when i can! Looks like its mountain bike for work tomorrow

Anyone else with any other ideas please dont be shy as i really do need all the help i can get!! Want to actually enjoy owning a scoob and not stress about why i dont work!!!!
Old 02 January 2012, 06:26 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the main earth on the inner wing needs a clean. Also its well worth adding an extra engine earth. Direct from alternator body to battery is a good idea
Old 02 January 2012, 09:54 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the wiring harness below the radiator hasnt come adrift and melted on the headers - causes all sorts of weird and confusing electrical problems.

Mick
Old 03 January 2012, 12:36 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Could a bad earth really cause so many problems!!! I mean the weird indicating/ rev counter thing i can understand, but could this also be the cause for the starter motor clicking and refusing to turn one minute then firing up fine a few mins later???? really conused and really wet after walking to work this morning!!
Old 03 January 2012, 12:50 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jayp
Could a bad earth really cause so many problems!!! I mean the weird indicating/ rev counter thing i can understand, but could this also be the cause for the starter motor clicking and refusing to turn one minute then firing up fine a few mins later???? really conused and really wet after walking to work this morning!!
yes a bad earth can cause all sorts of wierd things. if its doing wierd things with your lights 99% bad earth

check the earth from your starter and the ones on the inner wing
Old 03 January 2012, 02:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The clicking one minute, starting the next does sound like a sticky starter solenoid.

Unfortunately, they can stick open, or shut, if it sticks shut: flat battery.
Old 03 January 2012, 02:55 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wagon Gaz
Sounds like a bad earth to me
Yes! OP have you removed/undione/disturbed any earthing straps or battery earths - check these, undo them, clean them up with wire wool or emery and re tighten them also check the battery + and - are tight
Old 03 January 2012, 06:10 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your help guys!!! A quick update.....

Had the battery on charge over night. Reconnected it and ran a jump lead from the negative terminal to the engine block, near the alternator, turned the key and away it went. Switched it on and off several times, let it get to normal temp ticking over then switched it off and on again. Looks like it could be a bad earth after all.

Will however be having a proper fiddle with it tomorrow when its not so cold/dark/wet!!

Again thanks for your advice peepz, will keep you all posted!!!
Old 03 January 2012, 06:48 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

if your clock is staying on it sounds like you could just have a parasitic drain?