Notices

Strange noise. Suspension related? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2011, 04:03 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange noise. Suspension related? HELP!

Hi guys,

recently changed the rear shocks as they were shot on my 01 bug wrx at the same time got some Tein lowering springs fitted since then there has been a strange noise from the rear of the car.
The noise only occurs if you go over any bumps or undulations in the road surface and is worse/more noticeable at slow speed.
The actual sound is difficult to explain its sort of a rubbery squeal with a knocking noise I think.
Have had my mechanic who did the work take a look and he is unable to locate the issue.
With enough force being pushed on the rear when parked up it can be made to make the noise but when i looked couldnt locate where it was coming from.

Any ideas, known causes?
Old 13 December 2011, 12:21 PM
stealthy1
Scooby Regular

Mmm! I have that rubbery noise too on the front.
Be interesting if anyone knows...
Old 13 December 2011, 12:38 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nic1911
Hi guys,

recently changed the rear shocks as they were shot on my 01 bug wrx at the same time got some Tein lowering springs fitted since then there has been a strange noise from the rear of the car.
The noise only occurs if you go over any bumps or undulations in the road surface and is worse/more noticeable at slow speed.
The actual sound is difficult to explain its sort of a rubbery squeal with a knocking noise I think.
Have had my mechanic who did the work take a look and he is unable to locate the issue.
With enough force being pushed on the rear when parked up it can be made to make the noise but when i looked couldnt locate where it was coming from.

Any ideas, known causes?
the bushes on droplinks/Arb may need greasing or the shocks a knocking
Old 13 December 2011, 01:04 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Any ideas, known causes?
i did EXACTLY the same to my classic, and straight after i had the EXACTLY SAME problem, for weeks it was driving me nuts so retraced my work to find out i had'nt tightened the nut on top of shock enough, bam prob solved, worth a try, but i did have to remove the shock to do it, dont know about newer scoobs, worth trying
Old 14 December 2011, 03:58 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
the bushes on droplinks/Arb may need greasing or the shocks a knocking
Thanks for that, once i noticed the noise i took it back to my mechanic who did the work, he re-checked all his work and as he is a friend of a a good friend I trust him. He greased the top mounts i think and was unable to find the cause.

I hope the shocks not knocking as they are new.
I did wonder about the Arb and drop links and the mechanic mentioned them too. Will have a look into them, is it likely that they need to be uprated or just greased?
Old 14 December 2011, 04:00 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hixxys STI
i did EXACTLY the same to my classic, and straight after i had the EXACTLY SAME problem, for weeks it was driving me nuts so retraced my work to find out i had'nt tightened the nut on top of shock enough, bam prob solved, worth a try, but i did have to remove the shock to do it, dont know about newer scoobs, worth trying
Cheers for that will see about getting the mechanic to look at that, as mentioned above did you have to do anything with your Arb or drop links?
Old 18 January 2012, 05:29 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Still got this issue anyone got any other suggestions please?
Old 18 January 2012, 12:14 PM
mybugeye
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be bush related to me.

How much lower is the car now though? Are you sure the knocking isn't the shock hitting its bump stop?
Old 18 January 2012, 09:25 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mybugeye
Sounds like it could be bush related to me.

How much lower is the car now though? Are you sure the knocking isn't the shock hitting its bump stop?
Got it lowered on tein spings they they lower it by 35mm?

Which bushes are possibly the problem?

Should the bump stop of been cut smaller to prevent it being hit?
Old 18 January 2012, 09:35 PM
mybugeye
Scooby Regular

Got it lowered on tein spings they they lower it by 35mm?

Which bushes are possibly the problem?

Should the bump stop of been cut smaller to prevent it being hit?
May be droplinks like mentioned before but I do think it could just be bump stop related, especially if you are going over a real nasty bit out road. Im pretty sure some other people have trimmed down the bump stop with certain springs on standard wrx shocks.
I still haven't lowered my wrx so I cant say from experience.

I did have a golf gti that I lowered though and that used to make noises and squeaks from the bump stop on rough road. Scared the sh#t out of me sometimes when I hit a pothole!!