Notices

My 02 sti ecutec remapped by jgm

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2011, 08:16 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 02 sti ecutec remapped by jgm

Does a flashing ecu light then goes off suggest a missfire code ? Ive ordered a obd 2 scanner so wil know the code in couple of days but first the light come on a week ago when i started her up,well wile it was getting up to temp it come on.it stayed on for 4 or 5 ignition starts then went off,then last night i was going shop about 10 oclock i let it get up to temp then touched throttle and it flashed about 7 or 8 times and went off any thoughts till my scanner comes.
Old 27 October 2011, 08:43 AM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

You should give JGM a ring, see what he says
Old 27 October 2011, 09:28 AM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

On a bugeye it could well be the NPS switch causing it, and it will show up as a misfire on the obd2. Have had it on mine numerous times.
Old 27 October 2011, 09:30 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

May do that tez but wanted to know more bout flashing light.
Old 27 October 2011, 10:06 AM
Turbo Tez
Scooby Regular

Till you get the fault code checked I'd avoid driving it off possible or at the very least keep her off boost.

P.s when my NPS failed I didn't get a fault light, but my AVCS stopped working
Old 27 October 2011, 10:29 AM
dbrad
Scooby Regular

Text Simon, he's in N.Ireland but will get back to you. I'd always contact my mapper before posting on here as that way you will get an answer from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old 27 October 2011, 11:14 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Can I just say it was mapped well over two years ago with no problems what so ever till this light.I need the code lads first I know but wondered why it flashed and went off as I thought it only comes on and stays on.didn't know they flash too.also is there a flash mode with the ecutec map which means something ? Will get obs 2 soon.thanks.
Old 27 October 2011, 11:20 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Ok so was mapped 2 years ago. And you now have an intermittant check engine light?

So why mention jgm or that it was mapped.

And light on odd time like that could be knock sensor or nps.
Old 27 October 2011, 03:05 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could ne numerous things Carl, most likely a sensor faulty.

Get the code reader on it.

Simon
Old 27 October 2011, 11:07 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

What the f...,wind your neck in Legacy sti ! I cant mention that its been mapped u numpty,i thought the more info the better and did i say a wrong word about simon ? No ! dont ask me why i mentioned jgm you divvy Maybe YOU read between the lines wrong cause i have a ecu light on and mention its had map by jgm you think im slagging the guy or whatever you think or thought was wrong.

Just to add simon sorry,it had a cel light before map was done 0304 missfire on 4 but never found problem,changed nps and no joy so you cleared that cel for good via map.has been a dream ever since mate and still is too.just got light on and then off and then the flashing last night.should have scanner tomoz hopefully so will post outcome.cheers
Old 27 October 2011, 11:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

..Didn't seem to me that Legacy STi posted anything nasty......

Flashing CEL for the Bug STi usually means the DENSO ECU has encountered a sensor signal out of parameter which it doesn't need to go into limp mode or light a permanent CEL to prevent the engine going into meltdown....

The ECU should have stored a historic code..

Shaun
Old 29 October 2011, 04:01 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Got the scanner today and guess what ? No code ! so to recap,a week ago got cel light while car was warming up on drive,it was a fraction below normal temp and i touched throttle to drop revs as when on choke my car is loud,lol.as i did this light come on and stayed on for about 5 ignition turns which was about 24 hours.then couple of days after warming up on drive on choke and it started flashing fast,then went off ! Has not returned since and is showing no codes with my scanner ? Ive read on the net in america to not driveif its flashing is this true or sh1te,cheers.

Simon (jgm) have you seen this before at all mate ? Thanks - carl.
Old 29 October 2011, 04:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Firstly I dont agree with warming it up like that, you are wasting fuel and leaving the engine in its max wear point for longer. It will warm up quicker driving at low rpm.

Dont agree with not driving it with cel flashing, if it were a serious code it would go into limp mode. It is flashing because the condition to trigger it is coming and going.

You need to read error code when it happens, newage have tendency to randomly throw cels, if it were serious it would remain on.
Old 29 October 2011, 05:44 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Ok simon thanks again for your time,if it does come on again ill have scanner on hand to read it there and then.

Just to add.sorry for sounding cranky towards you legacysti I was a bit sharpe and out of order,it was just the thought of people thinking im the type to accuse reputable tuners of bad work,im am not that kind of scoobynetter and only mentioned jgm mapped it incase the flashing was something to do with ecutec map.so again sorry for the bad post.
Old 30 October 2011, 09:51 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Firstly I dont agree with warming it up like that, you are wasting fuel and leaving the engine in its max wear point for longer. It will warm up quicker driving at low rpm.
Sorry 2 sound like a complete indiot (this is going slightly off topic) but I and a few others I know leave their cars 2 warm up. Have been doing so since we got our scoobys. What is the best way 2 do it etc. The cooling down as well, does that have 2 be done differently. Or have I just misunderstood what u wrote.
Old 30 October 2011, 10:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

personnally.. start it up, seatbelt, and then slowly drive off, staying below 3000rpm until water temp reaches normal (oil takes a bit longer to warm fully) and then slowly increase revs as required..

cooling down.. only required if been on boost and a cruise through housing estate to drive is enough to cool it down.. the turbo is water cooled.. never seen an issue

Simon
Old 30 October 2011, 10:25 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply

I assume thats when it reaches the halfay point on the dials. I really need 2 get some gauges lol.

Oh so wasn't that far off, I normally do a similar thing when a hurry and couldn't wait for it 2 warm up by itself.
Old 31 October 2011, 09:16 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Well the v power ive waisted then simon,lol. When i have gone off quick tho when in rush it seems to not like it and is a bit lumpy till warm,off turbo obviousley.
Old 31 October 2011, 09:22 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

it will be then engines cold