Notices

yellow gunk

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2011, 09:58 PM
juggler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow gunk

doing my regular checks today on my wrx sti version 5 classic and found yellow cream in the filler neck for oil ! anyone know what indications this is ????
had a full service about 1500 miles ago .
would rather get it sorted before it ends in tears !!!!!

also anyone from the south coast know of any reliable garages that deal with scoobys in portsmouth area dont mind travelling a little way out but not too far just in case !!!!!

thanx
Old 29 August 2011, 10:14 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

Not sure but i heard that mayo coloured crud under the filler cap indicates oil and water mixing which in turns indicates head gasket needs changing, may be wrong though don't quote me on that hope it isn't.
Old 29 August 2011, 10:18 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

is the car running hot or is your car using coolant? could be start of a head gasket failure. It may not be that but would give you a good starting point to get some tests done
Old 29 August 2011, 10:36 PM
juggler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pramas
is the car running hot or is your car using coolant? could be start of a head gasket failure. It may not be that but would give you a good starting point to get some tests done
not using coolant or oil and the temp is steady as a rock oil pressure is too no oil leaks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 August 2011, 10:55 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

is it used for short start stop trips .....now the weather is cooling it can be a mix of oil and water vapour causing the butter mixture forming i have had several cars over the years which did this as they were used on short trips and didnt warm up properly during the colder weather... so it could be nothing major if the oil and waterlevels are steady..
Old 29 August 2011, 11:31 PM
juggler
Scooby Regular

only use it around town 20 miles at most on a trip and hardly used in week !!! maybe 1 or 2 tanks of fuel a month max !!!! ive owned it a yr and half and done 2000 miles
Old 29 August 2011, 11:46 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

take it for a good blast out to get oil up to temp and clear it all,might be worth changing your oil every 6-8month regardless of miles if doing short trips.
Old 30 August 2011, 12:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by juggler
only use it around town 20 miles at most on a trip and hardly used in week !!! maybe 1 or 2 tanks of fuel a month max !!!! ive owned it a yr and half and done 2000 miles

Thats why!!! Condensation from lack of use.

Combustion gasses contain alot of water (hydrocarbons plus oxygen equals water plus carbon..and some other stuff ). That finds it way into the sump and mixes with the oil.

Under proper use it would evaporate and find its way out through teh breather system. But in your case its building up and making sludgy mayonaise under the cam covers.

Poor car.

Change your oil more often or take it for some decent runs. No need for thrashing, just using it for a few hour long journeys on a regaular basis will suffice (cruising/motorway, not city).

By the way...classic imprezas should have the oil changed every six months anyway!

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 August 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 30 August 2011, 12:55 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

i only cover about about 100 a month, ill be watching for this now!
Old 30 August 2011, 05:42 AM
juggler
Scooby Regular

oil change coming uP then i reckon !!!!!
and thats it pramas bit **** aint it really !!!!! use it less gunk use it more....high milage cant win !!!!!
Old 30 August 2011, 08:15 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

and thats it pramas bit **** aint it really !!!!! use it less gunk use it more....high milage cant win !!!!!

ye but just think of the joy when you drive it
Old 30 August 2011, 10:41 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it had a service 1500miles ago - I assume a garage did it? got a feeling they use the cheapest oil they can find! With a correctly working breather system and good quality oil, a modern engine shouldn't get the 'mayonaise' or black sludge, as long as it reaches full working temp. for a reasonable time.
I know people cringe at using a flush in the Subaru engine but this sounds like a prime case for one!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 30 August 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 30 August 2011, 12:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't know about that, but I've seen mayo with pretty expesnive fully synth oils.

And if the car has endured this type of use for say, five years for example, then one oil change won't fix it. It needs using, combined with the oil changes to get it flushed through. As generally speaking mayo from condensation forms in the cooler parts of the engine like the cam covers more so than the sump. So draining out the old oil during the last service won't have much effect as all thats being removed is whatever is in teh sump (although the old oil WILL be contaminated with fuel and acids etc, so it is still of benefit).

In the end of the day get some oil - any oil (engine, olive, vegetable etc ), then add some water, and put it together in a blender. See what comes out....

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 August 2011 at 12:48 PM.