Notices

changing to vf34

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2011, 12:25 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing to vf34

Im slowly getting the supporting mods to go from td04 to a vf34 ( which I cant afford to get yet) what I want to ask is what down pipe and uppipe would I need? STI or WRX decat pipes or are they the same? What I mean is can I take the td04 off and bolt a vf34 to my wrx pipes? Not that I would Im just trying to improve my knowledge and understand a bit more of what I would be buying and how easy it will be to do on my back on the driveway lol
cheers Lee
Old 25 August 2011, 01:06 PM
wimpy
Scooby Regular

When i changed the turbo on my classic to a vf34 i hade to get a 90 degree silicon pipe and it then went on no problem. my decat down pipe went straight on.
Old 25 August 2011, 01:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On new age(on yours) will be straight fitting VF34,Up pipe STi will be good(WRX is restricted) if you could go Hayward and scott is good for money,but for these money you have Harvey Up pipe.

Headers you don't need,if you are fit aftermarket headers(eBay jobies or GT Spec) you will loose spool,for this i would go with ported headers which will give you more top end.

Downpipe if you are go with 3" you will need 3"center pipe or backbox,but at this i would go with 3" full decatted exhaust for future...

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 01:21 PM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

I have a 2001 bugeye with td04 at the moment soon to be upgraded to td05 20g!!!! but i have a prodrive sports cat down pipe fitted at the moment and just purchased an sti up-pipe which i was informed will fit my bug. The vf34 i believe is a direct fit to a newage which i assume from your pic thats what you have. But if you are not upgrading either pipes im sure it will be ok, but upgrading these will help with spooling and help the engine breath better, also a remap highly advised mate.
Old 25 August 2011, 01:33 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
On new age(on yours) will be straight fitting VF34,Up pipe STi will be good(WRX is restricted) if you could go Hayward and scott is good for money,but for these money you have Harvey Up pipe.

Headers you don't need,if you are fit aftermarket headers(eBay jobies or GT Spec) you will loose spool,for this i would go with ported headers which will give you more top end.

Downpipe if you are go with 3" you will need 3"center pipe or backbox,but at this i would go with 3" full decatted exhaust for future...

Jura
Thanks Jura exactly what I was after....I have ported OEM "headers" lol already and will be sticking with them, I wasnt sure if the vf34 had different fittings to the td, So I can just get any 3" turbo back exhaust for newage without having to specify WRX with a vf34 etc same with the uppipe ( I will be going for Harvey) cheers Jura Lee

Originally Posted by fingerscooby
I have a 2001 bugeye with td04 at the moment soon to be upgraded to td05 20g!!!! but i have a prodrive sports cat down pipe fitted at the moment and just purchased an sti up-pipe which i was informed will fit my bug. The vf34 i believe is a direct fit to a newage which i assume from your pic thats what you have. But if you are not upgrading either pipes im sure it will be ok, but upgrading these will help with spooling and help the engine breath better, also a remap highly advised mate.
Yeah I have a bug was thinking of TD05 but Jura advised me against ( unlessI got the WG ported) but will be upgrading just didnt know what fitting would be required but youve both cleared it up ......RE the remap Im planning an all in one go fitting session the a **** drive off boost to get a map done LOL cheers Lee
Old 25 August 2011, 01:40 PM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

Old 25 August 2011, 01:43 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fingerscooby
I know
Old 25 August 2011, 01:52 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leeturbo2000
Thanks Jura exactly what I was after....I have ported OEM "headers" lol already and will be sticking with them, I wasnt sure if the vf34 had different fittings to the td, So I can just get any 3" turbo back exhaust for newage without having to specify WRX with a vf34 etc same with the uppipe ( I will be going for Harvey) cheers Jura Lee

Yeah I have a bug was thinking of TD05 but Jura advised me against ( unlessI got the WG ported) but will be upgrading just didnt know what fitting would be required but youve both cleared it up ......RE the remap Im planning an all in one go fitting session the a **** drive off boost to get a map done LOL cheers Lee
Hi Lee

Harvey up pipe are proven and help to spool turbos,these eBay up pipe are oversized and don't have good impact on spool.

you can fit any 3" exhaust(classic or newage,both will fit),just must be from single scroll turbo.

About the TD05 are OK,i was been against VF35 which need have ported WG due boost creep.

20G is overkill for your needs,VF34 will be nice and spooly turbo,try source Silicone induction hose,due better flow,less turbulence etc.If you are going FMIC,good induction kit will be need as well,3-port boost solenoid will be needed too,STi pink injectors will be needed too.

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 01:53 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Have a read of our project, weve fitted a vf35 which is similar in performance to the vf 34, it will give you an idea of what happens when you change turbo/exhaust/headers etc etc.....
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...test-mule.html
Old 25 August 2011, 02:02 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Hi Lee

Harvey up pipe are proven and help to spool turbos,these eBay up pipe are oversized and don't have good impact on spool.

you can fit any 3" exhaust(classic or newage,both will fit),just must be from single scroll turbo.

About the TD05 are OK,i was been against VF35 which need have ported WG due boost creep.

20G is overkill for your needs,VF34 will be nice and spooly turbo,try source Silicone induction hose,due better flow,less turbulence etc.If you are going FMIC,good induction kit will be need as well,3-port boost solenoid will be needed too,STi pink injectors will be needed too.

Jura
thats right VF35 lol classic downpipe/ exhaust will fit ? I knew the backbox would but didnt know the rest would? The mods you have listed are what im going for, with the FMIC would I need to change my KnN panel filter? I ts just that JGM said this was best for bug?
Old 25 August 2011, 02:04 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought an STI up pipe for £30 and Jimmy of JS Engineering ported it for me. Apparently the modifications done by Harvey are pretty simple if you know what you're doing .

I'd also go for an 18G if you want more poke, as the VF34 will run out of steam earlier than that, but at the expense of slower spool up. I know two guys who've run VF35 / TD05 18G setups and both said the 18G was way more fun to drive with.

Having looked at figures, it looked like the VF34 will give you a little more top end than a VF35 but is it worth the extra money you'll shell out for it......?

If you want some info on the differences an up pipe, sports cat etc will make, I was running a cat back 3" system with green panel filter on my Bug WRX mapped to 248bhp.
On fitting the ported STI up pipe, prodrive sports cat and centre section, the car was re-mapped again and made 281bhp on a bog standard TD04 with 80,000 miles on it.

I'm due to fit STI injectors and a VF35, with an STI top mount soon and am hoping to see around 330-340bhp.

If you're thinking of more power, do be aware your gearbox and clutch will probably living on borrowed time if they're standard. HTH
Old 25 August 2011, 02:04 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WMS
Have a read of our project, weve fitted a vf35 which is similar in performance to the vf 34, it will give you an idea of what happens when you change turbo/exhaust/headers etc etc.....
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...test-mule.html
Now reading..........read and subbed

Last edited by leeturbo2000; 25 August 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 02:21 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

thats right VF35 lol classic downpipe/ exhaust will fit ? I knew the backbox would but didnt know the rest would? The mods you have listed are what im going for, with the FMIC would I need to change my KnN panel filter? I ts just that JGM said this was best for bug?
Yes classic exhaust will fit,just one hanger on classic backbox will not fit,but you can rewelded this to right place.I've run Classic Nur Spec on mine wagon few months back without the problem.

If you have STi TMIC don't go for FMIC,but still i would go rather for FMIC like STi TMIC,if you don't have.

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 03:39 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Yes classic exhaust will fit,just one hanger on classic backbox will not fit,but you can rewelded this to right place.I've run Classic Nur Spec on mine wagon few months back without the problem.

If you have STi TMIC don't go for FMIC,but still i would go rather for FMIC like STi TMIC,if you don't have.

Jura
INC downpipe? I have wrx IC think I will go for FMIC just for looks
Old 25 August 2011, 03:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

INC downpipe? I have wrx IC think I will go for FMIC just for looks
Yes including DP,i've fitted before full exhaust from classic on mine(including DP).
Your WRX IC will struggle pass 320-330bhp and still think FMIC will do better job on longer run.

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 05:24 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
I bought an STI up pipe for £30 and Jimmy of JS Engineering ported it for me. Apparently the modifications done by Harvey are pretty simple if you know what you're doing .

I'd also go for an 18G if you want more poke, as the VF34 will run out of steam earlier than that, but at the expense of slower spool up. I know two guys who've run VF35 / TD05 18G setups and both said the 18G was way more fun to drive with.

Having looked at figures, it looked like the VF34 will give you a little more top end than a VF35 but is it worth the extra money you'll shell out for it......?

If you want some info on the differences an up pipe, sports cat etc will make, I was running a cat back 3" system with green panel filter on my Bug WRX mapped to 248bhp.
On fitting the ported STI up pipe, prodrive sports cat and centre section, the car was re-mapped again and made 281bhp on a bog standard TD04 with 80,000 miles on it.

I'm due to fit STI injectors and a VF35, with an STI top mount soon and am hoping to see around 330-340bhp.

If you're thinking of more power, do be aware your gearbox and clutch will probably living on borrowed time if they're standard. HTH
Sorry I missed this post yeah the reason I decided on 34 is on Juras advice on sppol up time and boost creep with the 35, plus fully standard internals/clutch I was hoping to land around 300/ 320 and maybe 300 torques would be nice, Im not a number chaser and just want a nice quick daily driver but as it is standard it feels a bit gutless.....TBH I dont enjoy driving it as much as I should 'cos I know its potentially a much better car
Old 25 August 2011, 06:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Sorry I missed this post yeah the reason I decided on 34 is on Juras advice on sppol up time and boost creep with the 35, plus fully standard internals/clutch I was hoping to land around 300/ 320 and maybe 300 torques would be nice, Im not a number chaser and just want a nice quick daily driver but as it is standard it feels a bit gutless.....TBH I dont enjoy driving it as much as I should 'cos I know its potentially a much better car
If you are looking for these BHP i would go with VF35 or TD05-16G,i was been against VF35 due boost creep and in my view slower spool up.

I was run VF34 and this turbo has been amazing on WRX,i've tried before VF35 and i wasn't too impressed..

I would have look on this thread,he done on VF35 360bhp which is very good result.

https://www.scoobynet.com/854408-382...a-vf35-33.html

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 08:13 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for these BHP i would go with VF35 or TD05-16G,i was been against VF35 due boost creep and in my view slower spool up.

I was run VF34 and this turbo has been amazing on WRX,i've tried before VF35 and i wasn't too impressed..

I would have look on this thread,he done on VF35 360bhp which is very good result.

Jura
Really would you not expect 300 bhp on vf34? Then again saying that I want a nice quick responsive car not numbers per se you recommend 34 il stick with that......when I get the money lol Il get all the supporting mods together 1st then see whats available turbo wise....yours might be for sale by then Jura......£150
Old 25 August 2011, 08:25 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Really would you not expect 300 bhp on vf34? Then again saying that I want a nice quick responsive car not numbers per se you recommend 34 il stick with that......when I get the money lol Il get all the supporting mods together 1st then see whats available turbo wise....yours might be for sale by then Jura......£150
VF34 is 350-360bhp turbo,i've make with mine 350bhp with supported mods.

Mine VF34 has been sold few months ago sorry there.

With supported mods and good mapper i would expect at least 320-330bhp nothing less.

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 08:44 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

VF34 is 350-360bhp turbo,i've make with mine 350bhp with supported mods.

Mine VF34 has been sold few months ago sorry there.

With supported mods and good mapper i would expect at least 320-330bhp nothing less.

Jura
Would be very happy with any of those figures!
what have you got now td05? Theres alot of td06s on Ebay at the mo lol
Old 25 August 2011, 08:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Would be very happy with any of those figures!
what have you got now td05? Theres alot of td06s on Ebay at the mo lol
I've now something little bit bigger Blouch Dominator 3.0XT-R(500bhp turbo)

Here are few pics from build

I wouldn't touch any ebay turbos

Jura
Old 25 August 2011, 08:57 PM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Impressive! Are you running mafless or you not put it in yet? lol your gonna fly with that badboy you going for the full 500bhp?

ps was joking about ebay turbo
Old 25 August 2011, 09:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Impressive! Are you running mafless or you not put it in yet? lol your gonna fly with that badboy you going for the full 500bhp?

ps was joking about ebay turbo
Thanks there

Yes we will run mafless(Syvecs ECU),but at this time when these pictures has been taken we are want stick with autobox and OE ECU,but we are change almost everything on our wagon to run manual and our plan has been at start just 400bhp.

Here is mine project here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...s-project.html

Jura
Old 26 August 2011, 07:44 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Jura
Jura,

I believe it's the 34 that's slower to spool out of the two (I did plenty of research on this before buying), and that the majority of the boost surge problems of the VF35 can be solved by a simple porting of the wastegate?

Plus, for the money you spend on a VF34 you could port and wrap your headers

Like I said I believe the '34 is better more stable top end, but most of us won't be hooning around at 120mph down a country road .
Old 26 August 2011, 08:32 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Jura,

I believe it's the 34 that's slower to spool out of the two (I did plenty of research on this before buying), and that the majority of the boost surge problems of the VF35 can be solved by a simple porting of the wastegate?

Plus, for the money you spend on a VF34 you could port and wrap your headers

Like I said I believe the '34 is better more stable top end, but most of us won't be hooning around at 120mph down a country road .
Hi there

i've run only VF34 which has been amazing on WRX,ask people which running this turbo and you will know why i'm recommending this turbo mainly.And spool depends on setups/mods i must say.

Boost surge/creep can be solved by porting WG(some people porting inlet too),but on this i would ask Ian@Big D or Harvey.

For VF34 in good condition you can expect price at most £400,i've seen for £250-£300 too on PH.

For VF35 in good condition you can expect price at most £200-£250,yes i know is cheaper but i would go rather with VF34 still..

Yes VF34 have better top end,its not about the top speed or high speeds,but mainly how this turbo run on roads/streets and i would recommend try VF34 if someone have this turbo fitted from your friends

Jura
Old 26 August 2011, 10:25 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Bugeye Scoob :
If you want to pass comment on what I do then do your self a favour and know what you are talking about or button up.
I do NOT port uppipes and the reason for this is that after extensive flow bench testing I found that porting the uppipe was a waste of time but there were good gains to be had from a redesigned uppipe, especially when run with my ported header sets.
There are six uppipes in my two bolt uppipe range because obviously one uppipe cannot cope for all turbo and spec requirements.

Lee : The VF34 is a good choice of turbo. It is roller bearing. It is on a par with a good TD05-18G and a level above the VF35 which is sleeve bearing.
If I were fitting either a VF34 or 35 I would port the wastegate and the exhaust entry as a matter of course. All my 18 and 20Gs come suitably modded with uprated actuators as standard.
Best go with a 3" open neck downpipe. For the above turbos and a bit beyond it does not matter if it reduces to 2.5" but go 3"x3" if possible as it future proofs. Also dump the CAT if possible and you will pick up more power.
Old 26 August 2011, 11:09 AM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey

Lee : The VF34 is a good choice of turbo. It is roller bearing. It is on a par with a good TD05-18G and a level above the VF35 which is sleeve bearing.
If I were fitting either a VF34 or 35 I would port the wastegate and the exhaust entry as a matter of course. All my 18 and 20Gs come suitably modded with uprated actuators as standard.
Best go with a 3" open neck downpipe. For the above turbos and a bit beyond it does not matter if it reduces to 2.5" but go 3"x3" if possible as it future proofs. Also dump the CAT if possible and you will pick up more power.
Thanks Harvey, I did put a thread up a few weeks ago " sti vs Harvey uppipe" and the general consensus was that yours are far superior so I already made my mind up regards that TBH though its gonna be 1 of my final purchases as im getting everything bit by bit and doing 1 big fitting session lol so until I know exactly what im gonna need 'zorst wise they can wait
Old 27 August 2011, 08:01 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by harvey
Bugeye Scoob :

If you want to pass comment on what I do then do your self a favour and know what you are talking about or button up.
I do NOT port uppipes and the reason for this is that after extensive flow bench testing I found that porting the uppipe was a waste of time but there were good gains to be had from a redesigned uppipe, especially when run with my ported header sets.
There are six uppipes in my two bolt uppipe range because obviously one uppipe cannot cope for all turbo and spec requirements.
Fair enough, I was only passing on what my mech had told me as he said he'd seen them being done! If he wasn't accurate my apologies.
Old 27 August 2011, 08:25 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Fine Bugeye.
told me as he said he'd seen them being done!
I doubt he has ever been anywhere near my workshop.
There is a lot more to porting than most people understand. It is not just opening up the diameter as some people mistakenly believe and without a flow bench you do not know the positive or negative result of your efforts, what is effective and what is not.Many years ago I did port uppipes but it quickly became obvious it had very little effect whereas the purpose designed uppipes do show a good improvement.