my new cage

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 10:39 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default my new cage

Following on from this thread https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...w-age-wrx.html , I now have a cage installed in my new age WRX.

In the end I plumped for a welded in cage from Nickson Motorsport (http:/www.nicksonmotorsport.co.uk), as it was made to my exact specifications and requirements. For example, I really wanted a harness bar, which is not available from the bolt in cages - at least not off the shelf.

The welds are very good indeed, and the cage itself is a very, very tight fit against the bodyshell - it's so close that the cage has been tied in to the b pillars and roof line without any need for gussetting. The welds have no undercut at all, and a nice flat'ish profile, so I'm happy that they're sound.

In the end I'm very happy I went with a professional for the cage. I could have installed a kit myself (I'm happy with my own welding), but I simply have not got the time anymore. It would have taken me probably a year to fit.

Anyway, enough of that, here are some pics:

Next project is painting the cage and mounting my OMP seats. No doubt that will keep me busy up until Christmas.

I have no affiliation with Nickson Motorsport apart from being a very happy customer
Old 26 July 2011, 10:50 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a tidy cage. . . hope the seats fit in!! ha ha Good luck and will keep eye out for updates!
Old 27 July 2011, 12:25 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Looks great, could you give me a idea of cost ?

Pm if you dont want to post. Thanks
Old 27 July 2011, 04:31 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Got mine from cc cost me 2.5k fitted that looks nice with the crossover behind seats .

what colour are you painting it ?
Old 27 July 2011, 06:50 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Cost 1750 including cutting the dash and extra bracing. I think the prices start from 1100 for a six point cage, and then increases as you add more bars etc. The new age will need a steering column cross bar made as well because the standard item is in the way, which adds about 100.

The cage is going to be painted white. It was either white or matt black, but then I remembered what a pain matt black was to keep clean on my old car