Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable Track Day Roll Cage - it's brilliant!

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2001, 10:49 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know safety isn't too sexy, but Performance Drivers' new removable track day roll cage is brilliantly simple, can genuinely be fitted in minutes and offers real roll-over protection. (And actually, it looks pretty sexy, too!)

I saw the first production version this afternoon and I've ordered me one. Ever since I went sideways down the grass at Craner Curves I've wondered what might have happened if I'd hit a bump and rolled the thing at close to 100 mph. (Sorry, that's not a very sexy thought.)

It's hard to describe how it fits but it's ingeniously simple. Key component is a bar that's attached to the three bolts on top of the rear suspension turret and runs down the side of the seat to be bolted into the outside rear seat-belt fixing. This stays fixed in the car and does not affect rear seat passengers or their seat belts in any way at all. It's very unobtrusive.

Another bar is then bolted from a lug near the seat belt point to the bottom of the roll hoop at the base of the B-post. A cross member secures the base of the hoop against the left and right hand sills. The final diagonal structure runs across the back of the car, secured to a lug near the rear suspension turret and another lug high up on the vertical of the roll hoop.

Does that make sense? Mike from Performance Drivers will take some snaps and hopefully post them here. There's absolutely no welding or drilling, and the whole thing can be removed just as quickly, leaving the car exactly as standard.

There's more. The cage will be sold with an optional track pack consisting of a four-point harness which fits perfectly to the cage at the rear, and two two simple brackets which are securely bolted to the end of the front seat runners. The harness clips in and out in seconds, leaving the normal front seat belts completely untouched. I think a fire extinguisher is part of the package, too.

Finally, the fitted cage also acts as the stiffest rear strut bace ever made!

The basic unit costs £400. Black, blue or red. Cheaper than my crash helmet. Until Mike gets his pics together, there's more info on
Old 06 June 2001, 11:10 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too have seen the finished product and indeed it is excellent. Visually it is appealing but above all it does the job that it was designed for (it could save your life).

I do have a pesonal connection with Mike, I have seen this product evolve from an idea to a *** packet sketch through to the finished article and am delighted for him that the end product has turned out as well as it has.

If Mike doesnt get his pictures up soon I will post some that I took in the rain this evening.
I am definately going to have a pack for my 22B after a spectacular off and spin at a recent trackday.

Geoff

[This message has been edited by Geoff P (edited 06 June 2001).]
Old 06 June 2001, 11:45 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

In the short term go to
Old 06 June 2001, 11:59 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Have these gone into production yet?

If so, what is the delivery time?
Old 07 June 2001, 12:00 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mike.
It looks stunning! A top job mate, well done.
You've clearly put an awful lot of time and effort into it. Your dodgy introduction of the system is now forgiven, by me anyway!
I'm sure CK1 will love having something so safe and yet so sexy inside it!

Stef.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:09 AM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stef. It will look great and do the job for you.... Hope you never need it though, then I will judge it as a true success.

Mike
Old 07 June 2001, 12:13 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

It will certainly be the first time, eh stef?
Old 07 June 2001, 12:20 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mike.
I hope so too.....

Adam.
I'll have you know that CK1 has encompassed many a top bit of totty, thank you very much!!!

Stef.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:20 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well Adam et al,

I am not below begging...

And I am genuinely serious in my interest (unfortunately I am not close enough to help in the development process).

Begging smiley anyone?

Cheers.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:21 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!:
<B>1st in queue @ Scoobysport[/quote]

hehehe. Puff, how the hell are you going to keep this one from the wife

Old 07 June 2001, 12:50 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Could this be the next "must have" accessory?! And one that not only looks the dogs but can potentially save your life..... pretty serious stuff but well worth thinking about. I think the black finish will look rather good in my black Scoob

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 07 June 2001, 01:59 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

posted for mike
Old 07 June 2001, 07:58 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike,

Looks great M8!!! Well done...

Look forward to speaking to you soon.

All the best

Tom
Old 07 June 2001, 08:58 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No that looks absolutely bl00dy brilliant!
I actually saw it in the flesh yesterday evening, and it does indeed look sexy and the level of fit and finish is superb. If I ever get round to doing a track day, then this is going in the car first. I might get one anyway as it looks the naccers!

Congratulations Mike!

All the best,

Mossman
Old 07 June 2001, 09:03 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Anybody know the insurance implications as it is removable (and not a fully fitted roll cage which most insurers wont touch) - Mike, Rum?

Cheers
Rich.

Old 07 June 2001, 09:29 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Rich

That's one of the best things about it. The minute you fit a cage, most ins co's will drop you there and then.

As this is removeable, and will only be used away from the road (yeah, right ), it need not be declared to your insurance company.

The other important point is that both Mike and I are certain that track owners will insist on something like this, for track day participants, within the next few years.

The inclusion of Safety Devices trade mark cross beam rear section and harness bars (ensuring the correct angle for harness attachment) make this a serious product.

Mike has asked Scoobysport to be his distributor for the cages and we eagerly await stock. You will be able to order via us or from Performance Drivers (Mike's company).

Interestingly, the WRX01 has a roll bar built into the chassis. Something Subaru have not revealed in press releases, but was discovered when the Lister's 01 rolled at Oulton Park.

Old 07 June 2001, 09:46 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks great!

But will it fit a 5dr?

Mark
Old 07 June 2001, 10:17 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Dark

Of course it will

PTMW! is getting one as soon as available

Old 07 June 2001, 10:52 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
May I ask how much?

Richard
Old 07 June 2001, 11:06 AM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Speaking of Trade Marks.......

Thanks to Adam M for his excellent service in making our Patent applications and to Pete Croney for putting me in touch.

For reference, the Patent number is 0113546.6 and applies to the RTRS (removable trackday roll system) concept and not the specific Subaru product, so anyone thinking of buying a welder and making them for EVOs etc beware, I'll set Adam onto you !

Full details will be available soon (see my post immediately above the picture above) and apologies for the picture, it looks far better in the flesh!

Regards Mike

Old 07 June 2001, 11:19 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Gents,

Any chance of even a one off for a B4? I am sure I am not the only one interested...

Any idea of cost would be great...but to be honest, I'd love to have the security!

I guess the question of "mission impossible" or "mission not worth it" may come up too.

Cheers.
Old 07 June 2001, 11:27 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

1st in queue @ Scoobysport

Old 07 June 2001, 11:31 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Of course, other benefits include a nice and stable mouting for camcorders of all sizes. Get yourself a nice adjustable camera clamp and you are laughing. No more messing about with tripods and bungys

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Still think its a bit expensive though
Old 07 June 2001, 11:33 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

AJBasebloke, from what I gather, there is no reason why there shouldn't be one available at some point for the Legacy.

Mike,

have to say in real life it looks nothing like my drawings, but much better than I expected. Very impressive.

I saw black blue or red, but how about polished?

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 07 June 2001).]
Old 07 June 2001, 11:36 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

All very well and good, There have been a few pic's on the BBS of post accident scoobs with very flattened roofs so this product is welcomed.

However does anyone know exactly how long it would take to install (with out scratching the body work etc..) and how may hands needed to get it in place??

I have a 4 point harness in place already, will the roll cage interfere with the existing fixings as I use eye bolts??

...Ian

Old 07 June 2001, 11:50 AM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Ian

Whip the rear seat backrest out (10 mins) and fit the two struts which can be left in until you sell the car. Put the seat backrest back in.

Whilst the job can be done single handedly, I would always get another to help hold the parts whilst I put in the bolts.

From there its 15 mins to put in or take out max. The cage can easily be put in without mechanical skills or damage but of course you must take car when putting the parts near to the paintwork but that is true of anything. Mine has apparently been in and out about fifteen times or so during the build process and my car hasn't got a mark on it. As for the harnesses, I can't possibly engineer it to suit every possible scenario but there is no reason as to why you would have any problems with your existing belts.

Mike@PD

[This message has been edited by Mike@PD (edited 07 June 2001).]

Old 07 June 2001, 11:58 AM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Interestingly, the WRX01 has a roll bar built into the chassis. Something Subaru have not revealed in press releases, but was discovered when the Lister's 01 rolled at Oulton Park.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OT slightly.... When I was looking round the Subaru stand at the NEC Motor Show last year, at the back of the stand there was a cut away new shape Scooby with the new chassis / body reinforcements hightlighted in yellow. To me, it looked like there were two roll bars built in.

Could be wrong...

ChrisB.
Old 07 June 2001, 12:02 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

In Production now Adam, first ones off the line in 2 weeks
Geoff
Old 07 June 2001, 12:36 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Adam

Two weeks might be cutting it a bit fine but three might be possible. It all depends on a big session with the MD tomorrow after they have told me the price has gone up. Before you all panic, this will not effect the price to you....

More details will be posted when I have permission from SDB to post pictures. The car is available for viewing in Yorkshire now and I hope to have pictures on my website at
Old 07 June 2001, 01:04 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Hell......

I have just taken a call from Stef. Its official now, we actually do speak and all of the cyber abuse is history.... Great

I have just given him the loan of my demonstrator for the NBR at the end of June. Admittedly, it will be 17mm too low because mine is a sunroof model but he is cool about that. I bet he only wants it because it will make a great camcorder mount!

He will fit it at Croft a week on Friday for those who are interested.

Mike@PD

Quick Reply: Removable Track Day Roll Cage - it's brilliant!