Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default track day cages for new age WRX

I'm looking at having a cage fitted into my track day car, i.e. the subaru

The alternatives I'm looking at at the moment are:

Custom Cages club cage:

I see they're only 426+VAT for the CL4 here: http://www.customcages.co.uk/roll-ca...bman-rollcages

Nickson Motorsport:

Their six point cage seems to be 1100 fitted, which includes a harness bar as well:
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/nick...18-prices.html

His work also looks spot on from what I've seen. These cages will not be FIA approved though, if I understand things correctly? However, if I stretch to 1540, I can have a fitted cage with door cross bars, a main hoop cross and a roof cross too

Is a roof cross needed on a track car, or is that more for flying into trees when rallying?

Safety Devices cage from scoobyclinic:

Bolt in cage for 660. Doesn't seem too steep, but I'm not sure I like bolt in. Are they realistically any worse than a weld in cage? I'm only doing track days, and not entering into any competition events.

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_track.htm

I'd be really interested in a picture of the windscreen bar in a new age with this cage.

Are there any others I should consider? I'm not sure I need a turbo nutter full on FIA International 2010+ cage. As I said above, it's only for track days, and so far at least they seem relatively safer than e.g. rally stages with less hard objects to hit (I guess this is why we're let out with just a helmet, rather than needing a full cage). I've got up to about 1500 to spend, but ideally I'd like to spend less so I could get some new seats and harnesses too.

I'm half decent with a MIG welder (As in, I would trust my own welding), but it's a lot of work to install a weld in cage, isn't it?

I've only once paid someone to do work on my cars, but it would seem so luxurious to pay someone some money for once, and just pick the car up later with no aggro
Old 01 July 2011, 09:43 AM
Faststeve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am after a cage for my newage track car. I am lead to believe though that a classic cage will also fit a newage, which for instance the OMP classic is way cheaper than what they offer for the newage, plus you see quite a few s/h ones up for sale.

I think the guys at Scoobyclinic in Chesterfield have experience of this

With regards bolt in cages, all I can say is the bolt in cage I had in my old 306 track car was fine for what I required which was just track days.
Old 01 July 2011, 10:21 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'm looking at having a cage fitted into my track day car, i.e. the subaru

The alternatives I'm looking at at the moment are:

Custom Cages club cage:

I see they're only 426+VAT for the CL4 here: http://www.customcages.co.uk/roll-ca...bman-rollcages

Nickson Motorsport:

Their six point cage seems to be 1100 fitted, which includes a harness bar as well:
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/nick...18-prices.html

His work also looks spot on from what I've seen. These cages will not be FIA approved though, if I understand things correctly? However, if I stretch to 1540, I can have a fitted cage with door cross bars, a main hoop cross and a roof cross too

Is a roof cross needed on a track car, or is that more for flying into trees when rallying?

Safety Devices cage from scoobyclinic:

Bolt in cage for 660. Doesn't seem too steep, but I'm not sure I like bolt in. Are they realistically any worse than a weld in cage? I'm only doing track days, and not entering into any competition events.

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_track.htm

I'd be really interested in a picture of the windscreen bar in a new age with this cage.

Are there any others I should consider? I'm not sure I need a turbo nutter full on FIA International 2010+ cage. As I said above, it's only for track days, and so far at least they seem relatively safer than e.g. rally stages with less hard objects to hit (I guess this is why we're let out with just a helmet, rather than needing a full cage). I've got up to about 1500 to spend, but ideally I'd like to spend less so I could get some new seats and harnesses too.

I'm half decent with a MIG welder (As in, I would trust my own welding), but it's a lot of work to install a weld in cage, isn't it?

I've only once paid someone to do work on my cars, but it would seem so luxurious to pay someone some money for once, and just pick the car up later with no aggro

unless your planning to do any international events an FIA approved cage is unnecessary, a cage build to MSA regs will get you into UK events sanctioned by the MSA (races, sprints, hill climbs etc.) You can even build your own if it’s built to MSA blue book specification, although in reality unless you have the skill, bending welding gear plus access to suitable FE45 of cro-moly steel then making a one off is probably not cost effective.
IMHO your best option is a simple bolt in (6 or 10 point) don’t let the fact it’s a bolt in rather than weld in bother you if the mounting points are reinforced with suitable spreader plates (3mm mild steel sheet ) then the cages strength will give more than adequate crash protection and a big increase in chassis rigidity, if you need harness or door bars then OMP do these, you can add to the bolt in cage.

Another thing to consider is weight, multi point weld in international cages are pretty heavy, the OMP bolt in I’m fitting to my classic weighs in at a lightweight 29kgs and still carries full FIA approval, a multi point weld in will be weigh considerably more.

Of the cages listed I’d say the Safety Devices bolt in would be perfect, and as a bonus it’s the cheapest option, unless the classic OMP one fits the later cars (as suggested in the previous post) if it does fit then it's even cheaper at well under 500 delivered inc vat.

As for seats look up Bimarco experts, 200 sqid each nice light FIA approved composite shell race seat not very well known but a great seat, harnesses checkout the Nicky Grist harnesses from Peter Lloyd Rallying super quility 6 point harness, with your 1500 budget you should be able to do the lot if you opt for the bolt in cage you may even have enough spare for a plumbed in fire system!!

Last edited by budd; 01 July 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01 July 2011, 10:36 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for your thoughts, guys

Safety Devices sounds OK to me - need to see what delivery times are like etc.
Old 01 July 2011, 03:51 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Custom cages is out, because apparently they don't do a club sport blob eye kit anyway. They do the full FIA spec one, but that's 2505 + vat fitted, which is sadly outside my budget

Scoobyclinic's cage is + vat & delivery, but it still looks attractive, especially as they've got it on the shelf ready to send out.

Not managed to get hold of Nickson yet to hear how long the lead time would be, but even so, it'll be about 250 more than the scoobyclinic bolt in one.

Decisions, decisions.