Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Methanol Questions......

Having read both
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-methanol.html
&
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ease-read.html

Im considering using a 10-20% meth in my car, but having read the above im a little concerned about usage & storage.

Can someone shed light on how they keep there 205L barrel, ie in the garage out of sunlight, in the shed?.

Im guessing the best Idea is to keep it out of reach of other people in particular Children (my children), and assuming I go for a 10% mix; when required keep a 5L can in the boot for a 50L fill up with Vpower?

The thread above reads that this http://jennychem.com/methanol/803-20...al-barrel.html is the best purchase as it come with a free pump at £177.00 delivered, which works out at £0.86 per Litre, but having done a little more research it appears you can get the same thing for around £100 plus carriage, but if local you can collect, and a Pump is around £10.00, so works out at £0.53 per Litre...

Am I right to assume that all 99.5%+ Methanol (Biodiesel fuel) is the same?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/205-l-Methanol...item3efa545370

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/205L-Methanol-...item1e5b84f2cb

Thanks for reading, open to suggestions please

Rob
Old 26 April 2011, 01:41 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK whilst meths is of course dangerous, flammable etc as long as you're sensible it should all be fine. Have there been any instances of the meths users getting injured ...

TX.
Old 26 April 2011, 03:45 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks TX

I think I'll give it a go once Ive spoken to my mapper. It doesn seem though that there is conflicting stories with Meth deteriorating fuel lines etc, but this may be just a case of poor lines anyway, or even old fuel lines that were just on their last legs!?!?
Old 26 April 2011, 03:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob have look on this thread,some good points
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ml#post9549465

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-methanol.html

Jura
Old 26 April 2011, 07:07 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11

Thanks pal, makes interesting reading.

I think I would be slly to not give it a go with the right guidance. I'll contact Andrew Carr later this week and ask his thoughts.

Lets say I was currently running circ 400bhp on Vpower alone, how much in there to be gained by using say 15% methanol with my current setup?

I know this will Vary from car to car & spec to spec, but reading some results it appears the gain is as little as 10bhp from 5% to a whopping 75bhp on 15%

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 26 April 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 26 April 2011, 07:13 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on turbo and if its near its max already
Old 26 April 2011, 07:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added methanol injection to my set-up and broke 2 gearboxes, mind you I went for the very stupidly expensive method via an aquamist system

Shuan
Old 26 April 2011, 07:29 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Standard position roller bearing GT30 76mm intake

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I added methanol injection to my set-up and broke 2 gearboxes, mind you I went for the very stupidly expensive method via an aquamist system

Shuan
PMSL. I hope they wernt 6 Speeds or even worse So what are you running now Shaun?

Rob
Old 26 April 2011, 07:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broke 2 WRX 5 speeds.............. got API to convert to a jap 6 speed . When the car's running properly pushes out about 400 BHP.....just need to get the APS intercooler pipework fixed LOL

Shaun
Old 26 April 2011, 07:58 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have been running meths in my hatch since october last year, just bought a 205 ltr barrely from bonnymans in ayrshire. store it under a sheet in the garden shed under lock and key and take it outta the barrel with a old impreza fuel pump.
I carry a 5ltr container around full in the boot all the time easy enough to mix and had gains from it and it's cheap to buy
Old 26 April 2011, 08:15 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Have been running meths in my hatch since october last year, just bought a 205 ltr barrely from bonnymans in ayrshire. store it under a sheet in the garden shed under lock and key and take it outta the barrel with a old impreza fuel pump.
I carry a 5ltr container around full in the boot all the time easy enough to mix and had gains from it and it's cheap to buy

Thanks Rob

What knd of "Container" do you keep it in, as I was concerned having read that it can dis-shape some containers, and strip of the paint off others. Im guessing a plastic Jerry Can is a .

Had a quick look at the place you use, and it seem quite resonable at a 205L barrel £139.50 delivered, so £0.68 per litre

Can I ask what you went from bhp wise, and what your now acheiving with what % ratio?

Thanks
Rob

Basket total:
£97.00Hazardous goods shipping:£42.50VAT (included): £23.25Grand Total for 1 item: £139.50
Old 26 April 2011, 08:41 PM
bern11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Does that make a difference if it's maxed already?
Old 26 April 2011, 10:14 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Thanks Rob

What knd of "Container" do you keep it in, as I was concerned having read that it can dis-shape some containers, and strip of the paint off others. Im guessing a plastic Jerry Can is a .

Had a quick look at the place you use, and it seem quite resonable at a 205L barrel £139.50 delivered, so £0.68 per litre

Can I ask what you went from bhp wise, and what your now acheiving with what % ratio?

Thanks
Rob

Basket total:
£97.00Hazardous goods shipping:£42.50VAT (included): £23.25Grand Total for 1 item: £139.50
I always use bonnymans as my supplier for quite a while now, usually takes 3 days before you get your order. but I email them prior to get them to organise a pallet truck to move the 205 ltr drums as they are bit heavy

I carry the methanol in a normal tetracan plastic fuel container, it seems to do the job and I've not had any issues with it as yet.

I went from 380 bhp to 410 at a 10 % mix
Old 26 April 2011, 10:43 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
I always use bonnymans as my supplier for quite a while now, usually takes 3 days before you get your order. but I email them prior to get them to organise a pallet truck to move the 205 ltr drums as they are bit heavy

I carry the methanol in a normal tetracan plastic fuel container, it seems to do the job and I've not had any issues with it as yet.

I went from 380 bhp to 410 at a 10 % mix
You gained 30bhp, 8% bhp which is great from a 10% mix..

Time to order

Thanks for the info mate,
Rob
Old 27 April 2011, 12:06 AM
Mackers
Scooby Regular

Is there any physical detriment if using a 20% mix?
Apart from obvious failures if pushing to much power etc!
Looking to increase the mix ratio to save money on fuel just as much as anything else.

Dave.
Old 23 July 2011, 07:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mackers
Is there any physical detriment if using a 20% mix?
Apart from obvious failures if pushing to much power etc!
Looking to increase the mix ratio to save money on fuel just as much as anything else.

Dave.
Dave, did you turn up the meth %?

Im on 20% currently and the car is much more lively for a standard 2.0

Currently looking for a source of a 205L barrel delivered.

Jennychem delivered inc vat £177
Bonnymans " " £140
Trinity Research ebay " " £140
DT Chemicals " " £134

Eggy told me of a company in Bradford that reasonable, but means travelling and collecting, or decanting into smaller containers. I would sooner have a 205L shed under lock and key whih will last me for a very long time

Rob
Old 24 July 2011, 11:57 AM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

i use 20% and it takes me from 330bhp to 360bhp thats still using my vf28,as said above normal fuel cans are fine for storing/carrying meths or you could purchase a smaller container of meth with you 205ltr barrel and re-use that,1 thing though you dont want to keep opening and closing your barrell as it can get contaminated as skullfudge found out the exspensive way if you leave your car with a meth mix in the tank for a period of time the meths will seperate so its a good idea to give the car a rock before you start it and dont take this the wrong way fellas but if you inexsperianced with using methanol or even if you are exsperianced it is very dangerous you should be using heavy duty gloves and mask,it only takes half a tea spoon of meths to blind you so if you were to get splashed in the face? also it absorbs through your skin very quickly hense the reason for the gloves only 4 oz of meths could kill you,when transfering meths into containers make sure your not near anything that will/could cause a spark meths burns invisable and makes a big exsplosion you wouldnt know untill it was to late,ok so its not all doom and gloom once you,ve safely mixed it in your tank then its time for the grin factor

Last edited by snake1906; 24 July 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 24 July 2011, 01:13 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snake1906
i use 20% and it takes me from 330bhp to 360bhp thats still using my vf28,as said above normal fuel cans are fine for storing/carrying meths or you could purchase a smaller container of meth with you 205ltr barrel and re-use that,1 thing though you dont want to keep opening and closing your barrell as it can get contaminated as skullfudge found out the exspensive way if you leave your car with a meth mix in the tank for a period of time the meths will seperate so its a good idea to give the car a rock before you start it and dont take this the wrong way fellas but if you inexsperianced with using methanol or even if you are exsperianced it is very dangerous you should be using heavy duty gloves and mask,it only takes half a tea spoon of meths to blind you so if you were to get splashed in the face? also it absorbs through your skin very quickly hense the reason for the gloves only 4 oz of meths could kill you,when transfering meths into containers make sure your not near anything that will/could cause a spark meths burns invisable and makes a big exsplosion you wouldnt know untill it was to late,ok so its not all doom and gloom once you,ve safely mixed it in your tank then its time for the grin factor

Very Good advice above^

I use heavy duty fueling gloves, goggles and I now learnt not to attempt decanting in shorts .

In all seriousness though, Methanol feels to be very cold upon touching even through gloves, so as soon as you get a small splash on your skin you know about the cold feel, so rinse it off quick!

Mine is currently under lock and key in the shed, but its soon to go in the garage which is further away from my house

Rob
Old 24 July 2011, 06:14 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

so do you wear all that at the fuel station when filling up lol???

mark
Old 24 July 2011, 06:48 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

lol? theres no lol if it spash,s in you face m8! do you mean when filling with fuel or mixing the meths? if the meths then no the dangerous part is done i still exersize caution when fitting the nozzle to the can though as the fumes are equally as bad for you!!!!! if you breath it in you could get a feeling like an extreme hangover and become very tired prolonged exsposer im sure would end worse,there seems to be a very careless attitude toward meths on this site it makes me wonder what company introduced you to it without exsplaining how bad it actually is
Old 24 July 2011, 07:26 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Goggles and gloves, with arms and legs covered for decanting at base, as for using the Jerry cans at the petrol station is just a case of common sense, nozel on and pour as you would with petrol, although I may start to carry around some disposable gloves for the future!

Snake - in the other thread there appears to be some issues between you and the other member, this does not mean that everyone on here has a "dont give a **** attitude" when it comes to this kind of thing. I take it very serious and do what I need to do to prevent any accident, incident or near miss.

Rob
Old 24 July 2011, 09:11 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

lol? theres no lol if it spash,s in you face m8! do you mean when filling with fuel or mixing the meths? if the meths then no the dangerous part is done i still exersize caution when fitting the nozzle to the can though as the fumes are equally as bad for you!!!!! if you breath it in you could get a feeling like an extreme hangover and become very tired prolonged exsposer im sure would end worse,there seems to be a very careless attitude toward meths on this site it makes me wonder what company introduced you to it without exsplaining how bad it actually is
i dont use it, but am looking in to it, was interested how you get on putting it in your car at the fuel station, jerry cans always seem to leak when pooring, then theres the nozzle, what do you do with that after using it? just putting it in the boot? that will vent off fumes??

cheers mark

Last edited by maps; 24 July 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 24 July 2011, 10:06 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

[quote=maps;10152170]i dont use it, but am looking in to it, was interested how you get on putting it in your car at the fuel station, jerry cans always seem to leak when pooring, then theres the nozzle, what do you do with that after using it? just putting it in the boot? that will vent off fumes??

cheers mark

hello m8, i place the can on the floor between my feet unscrew the cap and screw on the nozzle place the nozzle in the filler neck before you tilt the can and away you go make sure its all out before you remove the can from the neck remove nozzle and replace the cap,meths evaporates quickly so the nozzle should be pretty dry as for the fumes dont breath them in! place the empty can back in the boot,you,l develop your own way of doing it m8,it is a great power gain and is actually better than petrol just treat it with respect. o and make sure you put the meths in before the petrol as it will mix better
Old 24 July 2011, 10:12 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

Snake - in the other thread there appears to be some issues between you and the other member, this does not mean that everyone on here has a "dont give a **** attitude" when it comes to this kind of thing. I take it very serious and do what I need to do to prevent any accident, incident or near miss.

Rob[/quote]

nice1 m8 it sometimes gets difficult when things turn into an arguement exspecially when all your trying to do is help with something as important as this! it just makes me think why do i bother.
Old 25 July 2011, 07:52 AM
paulT25
Scooby Regular

I use a 10 litre Jerry can I got from a Sealy agent.
At the same time I bought the required Flexi spout, which is leak proof and Attaches to the top of the can and the gloves lay in the handle of the Jerry can . All very neat.

I have attatched 2 brackets and a bungie cord in the boot so that the can is fixed , and not sliding about.

I will take on board the comment about the mix splitting , I am lucky though as I drive off the drive its a steep angle so should help the mix out somewhat.
Old 01 August 2012, 10:18 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

when you say a period of time, how long are you talking?
Old 01 August 2012, 10:48 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

an interesting read - nice one Rob Day