Questions on Methanol

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2010, 09:41 AM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Methanol

Hi everyone

My classic sti v4 is mapped for 95 ron plus half bottle of nf per tank can i just start using 10% methanol from now on.I dont want to get the map adjusted just for that alone at the moment saving for big power mods etc?

Is this the right one?

http://www.dtchemicals.co.uk/index.p...uct_detail&p=2

How could Nf be as good as to increase power and increase the ron with so little amount inside the bottle compared to using 5 litres methanol?

Does it damage fuel lines injectors over time etc with a 10% mix. does it depend on type of injectors i will be fitting nismo injectors when i have the rest of the mods?

Does the tank of fuel have to be left low until next fill up to make sure you get the mixture right of methanol?

so many questions

any info would be great

Mark

Last edited by MarkC; 14 June 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 14 June 2010, 10:05 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark mixing 10% methanol without mapping is a no no as it will lean out the fuelling on the car. The fuel lines and injectors will be fine but would keep an eye on them if they are old as they may perish, mine perished after 2 years of use.

You are correct the best way to fill up is 5 litres of methanol first then tank up, you get the best mixture of fuels that way and also the mixture does have to be bang on as the mapper will allow a little margin of error.

The methanol on your link will be fine but just to reiterate no point unless you are going to map for it

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 14 June 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 14 June 2010, 10:12 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Mark mixing 10% methanol without mapping is a no no as it will lean out the fuelling on the car. The fuel lines and injectors will be fine but would keep an eye on them if they are old as they may perish, mine perished after 2 years of use.

You are correct the best way to fill up is 5 litres of methanol first then tank up, you get best mixture that way of fuels that way and also the mixture does have to be bang on as the mapper will allow a little margin of error.

The methanol on your link will be fine but just to reitrate no point unless you are going to map for it

Banny
+1

If you are going to switch to Meth and getting it mapped for it I would personally do a tank of petrol and meth then do a 20ltr of just petrol just before the map so you flush the NF out of the system.

JUST STAY OFF BOOST AND TAKE IT EASY UNTIL YOUR GETTING IT MAPPED UP.

Steve
Old 14 June 2010, 12:05 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti

You are correct the best way to fill up is 5 litres of methanol first then tank up, you get the best mixture of fuels that way and also the mixture does have to be bang on as the mapper will allow a little margin of error.

The methanol on your link will be fine but just to reiterate no point unless you are going to map for it

Banny
Did you change to braided fuel lines for the methanol? Was it your aftermarket injectors that perished or oem? When its mapped for 10% does it matter if there is some left over from previous fill up in the tank so you end up then with between 10 to 15% on a tank does it matter?

Thanks for the help

Mark
Old 14 June 2010, 12:15 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Standard rubber hosing never changed to braided fuel lines, the injectors are perfect never had a problem with them, only the rubber fuel hose perished Makes no difference if you have a bit left over as this will be accounted for during mapping.

Banny
Old 14 June 2010, 12:17 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Banny and Steve
Old 19 June 2010, 03:29 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

I contacted that company through email on the link above about sending it to ireland but got no reply. I dont think many companys in the uk would ship methanol overseas due to it being dangerous? This company in northern ireland sell methanol and they deliver it but its expensive compared to prices in the uk . If you scroll down the spec list of the methanol on link below it says water content 0.1% max. A Lad i know buys the meth from mistralni but on the label it says water content 0.25% max, would that much water do any harm in the tank?

http://www.mistralni.co.uk/details.php?id=5

Last edited by MarkC; 19 June 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 19 June 2010, 08:04 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://jennychem.com/store/cat1 are recommended by people on here.