Notices

Any reasons why I shouldnt use this exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2011, 08:34 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reasons why I shouldnt use this exhaust?

Hi all, recently purchased a impreza Type R, version 5. The problem is that the downpipe is a decat 3" bore and the rest is also decatted but 2.5" bore, plus the manifold is standard. I can feel this really restricting the airflow.

Im not after big power or a track car and im looking to get it mapped for UK fuel. Seeing as though im getting it mapped i thought id upgrade the exhaust system too.

Would these ebay jobbies be ok do you reckon?:

Manifold header
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-WRX-STi...item483b135d42

Exhaust system
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...item5198da7bf4

Also what sort of gains would i be expecting from such mods and a remap? (obviously the ones stated in the ads are 'slightly' optimistic). Rest of the car is standard, it had a metal air filter but ive heard that the standard airbox with a sports filter will be enough for me so in order to prevent any MAF issues ive replaced the filter with a standard box and upgraded filter.

Thanks

Sami
Old 25 April 2011, 09:00 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

the exhaust is probably not to bad but the manifold looks junk, if i were you i would get in touch with harvey smith (posts as harvey) for a ported manifold. As for the induction side, your correct, nothing wrong with the standard airbox with a decent panel filter
Old 25 April 2011, 09:04 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

EBay manifold looks crap flex joints will leak, nothing wrong with your setup mate I cant see how you can feel the exhaust restrictions . If I was you I would contact Harvey on here and have your original headers and up pipe wrapped and ported then mapped. you will get great results.
Old 25 April 2011, 09:07 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I've got that exhaust I think but with the down pipe as well, made good gains over my 3" mongoose system with sports cat. Fit wasn't the best but played around a bit with it and got it to sit right
Old 25 April 2011, 09:07 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Why not buy a better quality used one from the for sale section on here? At least you will know what you are buying ad how it will sound. I'd avoid any exhaust component with flexible joints as they are an obvious weak point.
Old 25 April 2011, 10:02 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

s70rjw
Im really iffy about driving the car whilst its still mapped to jap fuel so i just wanted to buy an exhaust quickly and get the car mapped, if i can find one on the for sale section that will do the job then id rather do that, but just in case i cant find one within budget i wanted to know if that ebay one would do.

Chrispy200+
How does the exhaust sound? (too loud? pops bangs etc?). Were the power gains that noticable?

Greatgonzo
Its not that i feel a lack in power, but at times it doesnt sound too healthy, especialy on the way down the revs. I had richard henry have a look and they said the exhaust going from a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" exhaust will be restricting it. (I dont have magical powers, honest! )

I will get in touch with harvey aswell and see what he can do to help.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 26 April 2011, 10:38 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Maybe if your car was 450bhp+ it would restrict it but as it appears not to be i would be inclined to ignore the RH advice
Old 27 April 2011, 04:14 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

So having a full 3" exhaust will give me no gains over having a 3" downpipe and 2'.5" catback once its been mapped?
Old 27 April 2011, 04:29 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Nothing you will notice on the road anyway.
Old 27 April 2011, 04:30 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

You may get some if the 3" is a really well designed job, but i cant imagine it making a big difference. I think Harvey (and a fair few others) managed well over 400bhp on a 2.5" system. If you're never going to go above 400 i'd leave as is and spend the money on a ks3 knock monitor or something like that. At some point when everythings done on my car and the engine gives up i might go for 500+ so i kept an eye out on ebay and ended up with a revolution full 3" for £100!!! Couldnt believe my luck.