Notices

Remap advice

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2011, 07:48 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap advice

I am getting some stuff done to my 2006 Hawkeye WRX and looking for some help/advice.

First things I am doing are or have already done are -
  • Front sportscat to go with straight through middle section and backbox I already have
  • Panel filter already fitted
  • Upgraded fuel pump
  • NGK 7 spark plugs
I want to know if it is safe to drive the car with these mods on without getting a remap. I need to wait until funds allow for me to then do the following.
  • Sti intercooler
  • Bigger Turbo
I do not want to pay for more than one remap if I can avoid it. I am not looking at long between the two stages, maybe 6 weeks or so.

Anyone advise, thanks?
Old 19 January 2011, 08:01 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still drive the car , but ideally you want to keep it off boost as a decat on it's own can sometimes throw up a check engine light depending on which model impreza you own . Personally I would leave the car as STD as you possibly can and take your time and acquire the mods you need over time, then when you have arranged your mapping day give yourself 3 days before the remap to add all the mods on at the same time.

Last edited by midnight; 19 January 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 19 January 2011, 09:15 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

As above. You can't enjoy the benefits safely until its remapped, so why rush?
Are you decatting your up pipe while the turbo is off? Its worthwhile as this will improve your spool up with a bigger turbo. It will also prevent the cat being ingested by the turbo as they sometimes fail when boost is increased.
The standard WRX intercooler is ample to around 320bhp too.
Old 19 January 2011, 09:18 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
As above. You can't enjoy the benefits safely until its remapped, so why rush?
Are you decatting your up pipe while the turbo is off? Its worthwhile as this will improve your spool up with a bigger turbo. It will also prevent the cat being ingested by the turbo as they sometimes fail when boost is increased.
The standard WRX intercooler is ample to around 320bhp too.
Was not planning on touching the up pipe as I think in the 2.5 engine it has no cat in it, but I may well be wrong?

Thinking that I will wait and get all the parts done at once, as you say no point rushing and getting it wrong.
Old 19 January 2011, 09:29 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, there is no cat in the up pipe of the hawkeye. I have the same car and decatted it but drove the car off boost until the remap.

Since there isn't long between you getting the parts I would wait till you have all the parts then get it done at the same time. It's been about 6 months since I had mine remapped and I'm just about ready with the next stage with bigger turbo and sti intercooler.

Hth

Doug
Old 19 January 2011, 09:38 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dougmy06wrx
Hi, there is no cat in the up pipe of the hawkeye. I have the same car and decatted it but drove the car off boost until the remap.

Since there isn't long between you getting the parts I would wait till you have all the parts then get it done at the same time. It's been about 6 months since I had mine remapped and I'm just about ready with the next stage with bigger turbo and sti intercooler.

Hth

Doug
Did you notice much difference with the decat and remap?
Old 19 January 2011, 10:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby1975
I am getting some stuff done to my 2006 Hawkeye WRX and looking for some help/advice.

First things I am doing are or have already done are -
  • Front sportscat to go with straight through middle section and backbox I already have
  • Panel filter already fitted
  • Upgraded fuel pump
  • NGK 7 spark plugs
I want to know if it is safe to drive the car with these mods on without getting a remap. I need to wait until funds allow for me to then do the following.
  • Sti intercooler
  • Bigger Turbo
I do not want to pay for more than one remap if I can avoid it. I am not looking at long between the two stages, maybe 6 weeks or so.

Anyone advise, thanks?
should be okay, small risk of overboost

you could get it checked by a mapper now to see whether it is safe, and it is possible to drop the boost etc if necessary wihtout remap so it is safe until you get the bigger turbo and it mapped properly.

Simon
Old 19 January 2011, 11:23 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... or just connect a vacuum pipe from the actuator to the turbo to make it run at wastegate duty til mapped.

It wouldnt be two full remap charges I am sure. Normally the first remap is the more expensive one as most of the setting up is done in that. Tweaks to accommodate a larger turbo and tmic would generally be £150.
Old 19 January 2011, 11:40 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dynamix
... or just connect a vacuum pipe from the actuator to the turbo to make it run at wastegate duty til mapped.
yes but it maybe safe as is and means he is driving about with a lot less power than if all okay.. this would be the last resort if found that the current setup was unsafe.. it is possible to do a level between actuator pressure and full boost of course as well.

Simon
Old 19 January 2011, 11:46 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
yes but it maybe safe as is and means he is driving about with a lot less power than if all okay.. this would be the last resort if found that the current setup was unsafe.. it is possible to do a level between actuator pressure and full boost of course as well.

Simon
but that would require mapping the boost target/wgdc & possible fueling/ignition Simon and I believe the OP is wanting to avoid this.

Actuator pressure is fine for a while - give the OP a chance to enjoy the beautiful scottish scenery

Last edited by dynamix; 19 January 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 19 January 2011, 11:49 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dynamix
but that would require mapping the boost target/wgdc Simon and I believe the OP is wanting to avoid this.

Actuator pressure is fine for a while - give the OP a chance to enjoy the beautiful scottish scenery
no it wouldn't require mapped.. easy to alter 3 different boost levels with the pipework on the car.

Simon
Old 20 January 2011, 02:10 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Keep going I was enjoying you guys trying to out think each other
Old 20 January 2011, 02:21 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by muzzler
Keep going I was enjoying you guys trying to out think each other
I was waiting for Simon to explain how that is going to work out any cheaper than simply remapping or adapting the map on it as it would need the mapper there to ascertain safety of the adapted boost level and a certain amount of faffing around with pipes

Actuator pressure on that turbo is the easiest and something the owner can do himself without external assistance/cost until mapped properly. Also gives an incentive to get it done to release the power

Simon ... your go
Old 20 January 2011, 06:38 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Your both great... Have a quick hug and a kiss
Old 20 January 2011, 07:59 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Going to get it mapped with the first parts on then do another map once I change the turbo, 2nd remap is far cheaper than first. Makes sense to me.