Notices

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2011, 09:04 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

hi was wondering if someone can answer my question as i am getting ready to install some new gauges, yes they are not defi or prosport however if they are no good i will bin and get more! as could not say no at the price i got them for brand new!!
i know theres loads of guides and common sense thats not my question my question is, in the picture of bits and pieces that came in the box is there enough bits there to install the sender etc as i know it does not fit direct and needs modding so to speak, and do i leave out the one i remove yes.
and its a 2002 sti incase anyone interested

Last edited by wrx fifer; 18 January 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 18 January 2011, 09:32 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

and not to be pain but with me not been too hot with electrics i just want to clear this up, as per this out of the box if, i am taking power from wherever via something that only comes on with ignition so gauge only comes on when ignition on from the red wire indicated coming from top half of gauge, it also states to take another wire from lower right to ignition as you can see, trial and error will find out was wanting a heads up thats all and where does the top black wire go? as bottom half has a ground to be fitted, slightly confusing me this

Last edited by wrx fifer; 18 January 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 18 January 2011, 10:31 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

not many people sure then
Old 18 January 2011, 10:52 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

Default Hi

The red and black wires are for the lighting up of the gauge, the black is just an earth to anywhere, the red wire needs to be conected to a live from the dash lights so it becomes live only when the lights are switched on
hope this helps
Old 18 January 2011, 11:57 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

You may still need a fitting kit- do a search on here- I think its oil pressure you need a fitting kit off of ebay for, but could be oil temp- cant remember now! Hope thats of some use
Old 19 January 2011, 12:04 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wr pete
The red and black wires are for the lighting up of the gauge, the black is just an earth to anywhere, the red wire needs to be conected to a live from the dash lights so it becomes live only when the lights are switched on
hope this helps
its a smoked gauge so you cant really see it during the day so wiring to lights would be no good as would have to turn the lights on during the day i will use the centre clock for that, so thats the power sorted was more the sender bit i aint sure of.
thanks for the replys guys
Old 19 January 2011, 01:42 AM
technical_subaru
Scooby Newbie

it look like a prosport copy to me or same syling,
did you not get any piping in the kit??? to run to the sender because you will struggle to get that sender onto the block, it can be don, but a bit of a pain in the butt. so a piece of braided hose to remotly fit it with correct ends,normally dose the trick, i have fitted hundreads, that would be the easy option. a pipe can be made quite cheap!
ALSO is that all the fitting kit you got got as well to connect to the block? might not be up to the job, fitting kit looks a little cheap
at the end of the day the fitting kit is what makes it a good compnant, gauge is a gauge other than defi that it.
Old 19 January 2011, 10:27 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for the reply so i will get a braided line with ends and does just screw in the hole then and the sender in to the other end something like this, then i just need to mount new sender that all?
still not 100% on the bottom right wiring and is yop right another gound? for some reason
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 19 January 2011, 01:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Crap wiring diagram, what is the bit at top left supposed to be? Honestly, there are INTERNATIONAL symbols, why don't manufacturers use them?

Anyway: Firstly, the sender. It's mahoosive, so will NOT fit straight into the OE pressure switch tapping under the alternator

That's why you'll need the T-piece, one end into the OE tapping, the other end then has the OE switch in one side and the sender in the other side.
The e-bay item you've shown is NOT right, it's for a non-electric gauge, yours is electric. You need a T-piece, there are some on this page: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Wiring: unsure about the top wiring, but yes, it looks like lighting wiring. It needs the red connected to a wire which is live when the lights are on, so behind hazard lights switch, cig lighter, clock, radio, etc.

Top right, also labelled "black" and the one at right centre off the gauge fitting nut, are earths. The one labelled engine ground is ALSO an earth, but needs to be on the engine. Any spare bolt head will do, use a ring connector.

The live to ign should be to a wire only live when ign is on, second click, ie : NOT live when just headunit is on, so somewhere near ign switch is good.

You can find live wires using a cheap circuit tester, mine is brass with a sharp point to pierce insulation, cost under £4, available from decent carshops.
Old 19 January 2011, 02:30 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

thanks alcazar, i see the kit i have got with it is actually on that page, but have not been given the pipe, would you happen to know whats the size i need from thos t-pieces with hose as i see some are diffrent.
Old 19 January 2011, 03:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nope, depends on your sender, but at least one is marked, "Subaru Impreza".
Old 19 January 2011, 06:49 PM
technical_subaru
Scooby Newbie

i would not use the oil light switch an a t piece my self, i would use the back of the block, it will give quicker reading to when low oil pressure accrues, it just a allan bolt at the back just underneath the throttle little more tricky to fit but could save you a crank if you lose oil pressure, i could sort the adapter out for you, its just another oil light switch adapter i have a few, you will just need to get the fittings,
yeah the ebay pipe is very wrong just a custom piece would be better an look nicer you want steel braided not jut nylon,
Old 19 January 2011, 06:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not sure about that tapping, mate, it's for oil TEMPERATURE. Would it have the same pressure as at the front of the block, where the OE switch is?