Notices

WRX Classic Oil? Confused?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2010, 07:17 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Classic Oil? Confused?

Hi all, I have a classic WRX running just over the 300bhp mark and after looking around I have confused myself, I wanted to know what the best viscosity oil to use in my car was but there are so many different answers, Basically I have not had it long and cannot remember what the previous owner said he put in it, Since the weather has got cold I occasionally here it rattle for a second or 2 on startup and am thinking maybe what is in it is too thick for colder weather? From what I have read it seemS that 10w40 would be a good choice?
Old 08 December 2010, 07:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10w40 semi synthetic is what subaru recommend, you can go fully synthetic for say a 5w40, you dont really need anything more than that unless you have a 400bhp track machine tbh.
Remember the 5w is the cold weight, we dont do 0w in these cars as they dont like it, so 5 will warm up quickly giving good lubrication, the 40 is the hot weight, so a 40 will warm up quicker than a 50.

Tony
Old 08 December 2010, 08:02 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

5w40 fully synthetic.

Get what you need here
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/
Old 08 December 2010, 08:08 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for that

Got a couple of offers on at the moment that will be of use - A free litre of Fuchs Pro S with every 5L container bought and Gulf Competition at £30 for 5L.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-Current-Offer.aspx

Either the Gulf or Pro S in a 5w-40 is ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by oilman; 08 December 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08 December 2010, 08:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Thanks for that

Got a couple of offers on at the moment that will be of use - A free litre of Fuchs Pro S with every 5L container bought and Gulf Competition at £30 for 5L.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-Current-Offer.aspx

Either the Gulf or Pro S in a 5w-40 is ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Knew you wouldn't be far away.
Old 08 December 2010, 08:34 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys , Think I'm starting to understand? The car is driven hard alot of the time and I plan on using it for track days, Would a 5w50 be better suited or am I off the mark?
Old 08 December 2010, 08:37 PM
markietay
Scooby Regular

Wildpikey are you a member here www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk
Old 08 December 2010, 08:44 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markietay
Wildpikey are you a member here www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk

Yes, I use both forums, TBH I tend to find there are more people on here and get answers a bit quicker but both are very good
Old 08 December 2010, 09:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

What year classic do you have?

Tony
Old 08 December 2010, 09:23 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What year classic do you have?

Tony

Sorry I should of mentioned that , Its a 1993, Engine is spot on, Just as I say, The other day when I started it up on an icy morning it rattled for literally for a second or 2 so maybe the oil is too thick for this weather, I want an oil that is a good all rounder really, I have seen so many different viscosity's being recommended it confused me, 5w seems good for the cold weather but then I have read a post on here from a reputable tuner advising against it in a classic I know how sensitive these engines can be and don't want to make a costly mistake
Old 08 December 2010, 09:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

5 is the lowest you want to run, even subaru put 5w down, they dont put 0w though
I would also be careful with your car, its 17-18 years old now, they have crappy composite head gaskets, and your oil pump will be pretty tired, I would suggest you get it sorted with a new and uprated one (RCM/API do them to name a couple of places).
Then there is the fuel surge issue, also oil starvation (classics are reknown for these 2), and brakes.... god they dont half suck on the early cars (even the later ones).

Tony
Old 08 December 2010, 09:52 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

Theres not really much left on the car that is standard or much older 2 years tbh, The previous owner spent quite a bit of time and money on it, Its my first Impreza though so I'm learning as I go along, It was the engine that attracted me to the car if im honest, I just don't want to damage it by using the wrong oil
Old 08 December 2010, 10:24 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Edit: I never saw post #12 before i replied.

Originally Posted by WildPikey
Sorry I should of mentioned that , Its a 1993, Engine is spot on, Just as I say, The other day when I started it up on an icy morning it rattled for literally for a second or 2 so maybe the oil is too thick for this weather, I want an oil that is a good all rounder really, I have seen so many different viscosity's being recommended it confused me, 5w seems good for the cold weather but then I have read a post on here from a reputable tuner advising against it in a classic I know how sensitive these engines can be and don't want to make a costly mistake
No such thing as an all rounder really Pikey. 5 for the winter 10 for the summer is good for mine. If you plan a track day or two then you will be well advised to change the day before. So that's at least 3 or4 changes a year. So an 'all rounder' is not really a consieration if you think about it. Good quality is more importent.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
5 is the lowest you want to run, even subaru put 5w down, they dont put 0w though
I would also be careful with your car, its 17-18 years old now, they have crappy composite head gaskets, and your oil pump will be pretty tired, I would suggest you get it sorted with a new and uprated one (RCM/API do them to name a couple of places).
Then there is the fuel surge issue, also oil starvation (classics are reknown for these 2), and brakes.... god they dont half suck on the early cars (even the later ones).

Tony
Tony, as per usual is talking bollox. Sorry i mean total sense.

0 is a no no. Yes our cars are nigh on 20 years old with, at the very best, patchy service history. If you drive hard and track it then you will need to/expect to replace/upgrade the majority of the crucial components.
The first thing i did was the 4 pot conversion, followed shortly after by the RCM oil pump upgrade, and always run with a minimum of half a tank of V-Power. I don't drive particually hard and have not tracked mine, but i still expect failures and am not surprised when **** lets go due to wear and tear. You will need to spend a good few £ either before your 1st track day, or very very shortly afterwards.

Last edited by Glowplug; 08 December 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08 December 2010, 10:44 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

If you are going on a track then do watch your oil pressure, especially with sticky tyres. I got paranoid in mine and have a baffled sump and an oil cooler, which gives longer oil lines so more oil in the system but oil advice above is good.

I personally think you need at least brembos for a track day, with decent pads and discs, and braided brake lines - stock brakes will fade and ruin the day