Notices

Where is the vacum feed for my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2010, 04:41 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the vacum feed for my brakes?

I am looking for the vacum feed for my brakes, to check the one way filter is there, but am clearly being a fool, as I cant see a vacum line going to the brakes anywhere!

Can anyone point it out to my ignorant self in the attached pics?

Sorry for the fool question!

Grant

Im pretty sure the next pic is not where it is (I have a Blitz boost controller which is the big solenoid you can see), but in case:

Last edited by Grant74; 05 December 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05 December 2010, 04:49 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When your looking straight on at the brake servo it on the lower left hand side,you can see the pipe that comes off the union in the servo and go's across the bulk where it comes over onto the inlet manifold on the right hand side again looking straight on to it.
hope this helps.
Old 05 December 2010, 04:52 PM
thewhitewarrior
Scooby Regular

well they are supposed to be from the inlet to the big black round thing in the pic (the survo) what model is it as i can see one on yours?
Old 05 December 2010, 05:31 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Gents- thanks I have found it, although cant see a one way filter in it- do yours have one way filters?

It was suggested that every time I am losing my brake pedal I have just been on full boost, so maybe a one way filter was missing from my pipework.

This is where it goes into the servo:

And this is where it goes into the manifold:

And a wider shot- you can see it going into the manifold at the bottom of the pic, and where it goes across the bulkhead in this one:

But cant see a one way filter?
Old 05 December 2010, 05:49 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I thought the one way valve is part of the fitting at the manifold end of the hose ?
Old 05 December 2010, 06:31 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that- I will; have a look in the morning, and will try and see if its working properly. I do wonder why they fed it all the way to the other side of the manifold, but guess there may have been enough vacum lines coming off one side!
Old 05 December 2010, 06:42 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is part of the fitting in the manifold and works the same as the one on the back of the mani that the breather connects onto under the throttle body.
Old 05 December 2010, 07:32 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Hmm- well I had a look at the manifold fitting, and took the rubber off of that end, and no one way filter there.

So being smart, I thought, lets take the rubber pipe off at the brake servo end. So I undid the end that connects to the hard pipe on the firewall, and nothing there.

Then I took the rubber pipe off the end that connects to the servo, and a sudden rush of air was heard There is no one way valve in there either, but clearly I have messed something up, as brakes are now as hard as nails when you push the pedal!

What I dont understand is why taking the servo end of the pipe made a difference as I cant see a one way valve in it.

What I would appreciate some help with is understanding what on earth I have done, and how to fix it! I presume that I have let the vacum out of the servo, so now have non assisted brakes?

Having left the engine running I thought it would sort the vacum out, but no difference! Help (again) please!

G
Old 05 December 2010, 08:57 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

I have just taken it for a gentle spin round the block to see if it would regain vacum, but nothing- a solid wooden pedal.

It feels like you are pushing the pedal with the engine off.
Old 06 December 2010, 08:22 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Right- thats tonights job then! I did drive it off boost to try and generate some vacuum but only briefly.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06 December 2010, 10:55 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Its no good being gentle with it, you have got to get the car going resonable well,on an open stretch of road & take your foot off the gas for a good length of time, so it creates a vacum in the inlet manifold.

Don't forget its turbo car not normally aspirated, where 90% of the time the manifold only see's positive pressure.
Grant do not follow this advice, it is totally wrong!

Just starting the engine will create enough vacuum, you don't have to drive it to get vacuum.

Also as anyone with a boost gauge will tell you, a turbo car spends >90% of its time with negative manifold pressure.

If you pedal is rock hard, you might have a split on the vacuum hose to the servo or the pipe might be plugged with something (happened to me once when someone wrapped some polythene around the metal pipe to get a leak-free connection and it ended up getting sucked into the pipe).
Old 06 December 2010, 11:04 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

you can see your 1 way valve in the last picture, there is a small bump in the rubber hose as it comes off the metal pipe that runs across your bulkhead.
Old 06 December 2010, 12:54 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Thanks gents- I will have another look, as Im wondering if the valve has got stuck open. The valve has to be in the pipe going into the servo, as taking off the manifold end didnt release pressure.

I did wonder re the vacum- I have a boost gauge and it was on -17 on idle. It has enough time to recover between corners usually, so was thinking a trip round the block while running on vacuum pressure would sort it.

I guess there is always a risk it could have fallen out, but will see.

JDM Stig- I cant see a small bump in that pic, but it must be there- appreciate the tip
Old 06 December 2010, 08:59 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Gents- a big thankyou to you all. All fixed now, and it definately wasnt because I put the pipe back the wrong way round, because that would make me a complete muppet.................

On the plus side, I know the one way valve works, both ways round!