Notices

problem since headgasket change

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2010, 03:35 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem since headgasket change

hi all, recently just changed both head gaskets, the second one being turbo side.
put all back together made sure timing marks all lined up. thought it should start straight away.
had a chat with a work buddy who is an ex trainee mechanic, he said because changed both gaskets i would need to build up compression again
anyways disconnected crank sensor, took out spark plugs as he said, they were fouled with fuel and gave them a good clean, whilst they were out checked for spark which there was and put them back in and gave it a good turn over, connected crank sensor again and she tried to fire but then nothing again i.e just turning and no firing.
But when it did try to fire the side i just done sounded alot tappetty, so now its got me thinking i might have put the cam wheels on the wrong way round question is would this make a differance?? and is my mate right it would need to do alot of building up compression? because i been on it all morning and gave up now because need to go to bed as i been working all night
Done the fault code thing and no faults.
anybody have any ideas?
will check back later when i wake up
thanks.
Old 06 November 2010, 04:12 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldnt need to ' build the compression up ' tbh - should fire up straight away if everything is connected back up.
You obviously have fuel if the plugs are fouled up, do you have a good strong spark ??

Cam pulleys need to fitted correctly - viewed from drivers seat:
RH IN ~ turbo side top
RH EX ~ turbo side bottom
LH IN ~ battery side top(has cam sensor pickups on the back of it)
LH EX ~ battery side bottom.

Hopefully you fitted the camshafts back in their respective places (as above) otherwise you havent got a hope in hell's chance of it ever firing up.

Pics of timing marks ( pulleys may differ from yours but the marks are all the same )

Crankshaft

Lefthand side

Righthand side

Mick

Last edited by merlin24; 06 November 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 06 November 2010, 10:54 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

hey thanks mick, very helpful response, will check in the morning.
so thinking the worst case senario is that i put the cams in the other way round that they came out, so will it have bent the valves or could i be lucky and got away with it because it would not fire up properly?
Old 07 November 2010, 08:44 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Are these engines interferance fit or non interferance?

you'd know if it bent the valves mate, you'd hear the engine lock up as you crank it over, the bang is quite apparent tbh, i speak from past experience, if it's turning over ok and it dosen't sound like anythings hitting inside the lump i'd say you'll be ok.

Fwiw it's always worth turning the engine over by hand about 3-4 revolutions before you try and start it anyway, that way if the valves are gonna hit the pistons you'll feel it and as it's only being turned over by hand you'll not damage anything.
Old 07 November 2010, 10:13 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

important to note as in the first pic> there is an arrow on the pully as well as the timing mark. The arrow needs to point to 3 o'clock as in the pic. Its very easy to use this as the tdc mark.
Old 07 November 2010, 10:41 AM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Are these engines interferance fit or non interferance?

you'd know if it bent the valves mate, you'd hear the engine lock up as you crank it over, the bang is quite apparent tbh, i speak from past experience, if it's turning over ok and it dosen't sound like anythings hitting inside the lump i'd say you'll be ok.

Fwiw it's always worth turning the engine over by hand about 3-4 revolutions before you try and start it anyway, that way if the valves are gonna hit the pistons you'll feel it and as it's only being turned over by hand you'll not damage anything.
when i put all back together cranked by hand quite alot, cranking ok quite smoothly and no bangs and timing lined up still.
1st time tried to start it (friday) nothing would not fire, it was getting dark by this point so gave up, saturday my work colleage said need to build up compression so thats pretty much what i was doing yesterday morning, put cranksensor back on it would fire for say half a second and die.
going to check cam sprockets and if they right i must have cams wrong way round.
after all this it better start lol
Old 07 November 2010, 11:08 AM
stann01
Scooby Regular

ok so cam pulleys are in right ..... must be the cams in wrong doh!!
the rocker gaskets need a seal as leaking a bit, whats the name of the sealing agent
i seen on here something 1230?

Trending Topics

Old 07 November 2010, 11:12 AM
Alarmeng
Scooby Regular

Hi fella

where did you get all the parts from as mine is sat on the drive with the heads off waiting to be done!
Old 07 November 2010, 11:20 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stann01
ok so cam pulleys are in right ..... must be the cams in wrong doh!!
the rocker gaskets need a seal as leaking a bit, whats the name of the sealing agent
i seen on here something 1230?

assume youve checked the crank marks as above post? had one myself set up wrong and had exacty same symtoms your having
Old 07 November 2010, 01:17 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

ok update, got rocker cover off and sure enough cams in wrong, its stamped on top one r-ex ****!
now having trouble undoing bottom sprocket bolt its jammed on, why didnt i check stupid me lol.
alarmeng:- what parts you on about? headbolts and gaskets got them as a package on fleabay.
Old 07 November 2010, 07:15 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

ok all back together, tried starting her, ran for about a minute a bit spluttery then cut out, tried taking off crank sensor as before turned over for a bit, reconnected sensor and it spluttered a bit and still cut out? think spark plugs need a clean? other than that its time to burn it lol.