Notices

confused.com 95wrx with 98wrx engine cdb???

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2010, 06:58 AM
dynasty_d
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused.com 95wrx with 98wrx engine cdb???

Brought a 1995 import wrx, but the garage i took it to noticed that the 1995 wrx had a facelift front end. The car went in for a HG change and they say to me that the engine is a 1998 wrx import engine... Strange thing is, few people who have seen then engine state i have a CDB, but after trying to research on here, i hear that there was no such thing as a 1998 CDB??? Im confused as to what specs it should have etc. Its running a TD05 turbo also, is this the norm? and wondering how the ecu would cope running a 98 engine in a 95 car.... im confused as to which ECU it has as im pretty sure that it would need a 98 ECU to run the 98 engine, or could it be a mapped 95 ECU???

So confused, spent most my time reading about the 95 wrx specs and just hoping a few people could help with a crash course on the 98 spec engine...

Many thanks
Old 03 November 2010, 07:48 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

TD05 is the norm for a 1995 WRX.
A 1995 ECU will run a 1998 engine as long as the intake manifold (and associated sensors) used is the 1995 one.
What did the garage use as a basis for identifying it as a 1998 engine?
Old 03 November 2010, 08:27 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Have a look at bottom of this thread for how to id cdb withot removing heads
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...eck-block.html

or this one for the differences with the head off
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...k-etc-etc.html

Old 03 November 2010, 02:42 PM
dynasty_d
Scooby Newbie

It has the criss cross pattern on the block, The garage claimed that the HG set they ordered for the 1995 wont fit the 1998 engine... can someone confirm this please? also with regards to 1995 ecu running the 1998 engine, would it be wrong to assume that the 1995 ecu is mappable to allow it to run the 1998 engine or is it a case of the engine being the same as a 1995 because of the 1995 ancillaries???
Old 03 November 2010, 03:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They only did one CDB in 1998 and that was the 2.2 22B block, doubtful you have one of those fitted
Engine wise, 1995 is a phase 1 engine, 1998 is a phase 1.5 engine, probably some differences so you would need to order the correct kit for said engine.
Biggest pain here is we dont know if the entire engine is the 1998 one? any pictures of the engine bay? biggest givaway is the coil pack in the centre of the inlet manifold on the phase 1.5 engine, the phase 1 doesnt have this.

Tony
Old 03 November 2010, 03:40 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynasty_d
It has the criss cross pattern on the block,
If I remember right All classic era EJ blocks have some crosshatching on them. The key point with a closed deck one is that the hatching is in the places mentioned in the thread quoted by his n hers above.

As Tony says the only closed deck block that was available in the 1998 model year was the 22B's. You'd certainly know if you had one of them as the "EJ22" logo will be cast into the block next to the oil pressure switch. More to the point, if the garage have replaced the head gaskets, (and assuming they know what they're talking about), they will be able to tell you whether it's a closed or open deck unit because they'll have seen the deck faces.

The garage claimed that the HG set they ordered for the 1995 wont fit the 1998 engine... can someone confirm this please?
Now this is the point where I start to wonder about the garage. An HG set ordered for a 1995 engine will fit a '98 one. It may or may not be the correct thickness, but it should fit as all EJ20 head gaskets are the same physical shape.

also with regards to 1995 ecu running the 1998 engine, would it be wrong to assume that the 1995 ecu is mappable to allow it to run the 1998 engine or is it a case of the engine being the same as a 1995 because of the 1995 ancillaries???
The '95 ECU is mappable via a plug-in ROM chip. However, that may be a moot point. The big problem we have sitting here on the other side of the internet is trying to work out what you have (and how much, if any of what you've already been told, is not accurate). It is eminently possible that you don't have a closed deck engine, and while it is possible that you do have a 98MY one, I'd be interested to hear exactly what basis the garage have used to make that determination. Is the engine type/number still visible on the sticker attached to the offside cambelt cover? Have you also checked to see whether the engine number stamped on the back of the block matches the one on the vehicle ID plate or not?
Old 03 November 2010, 04:46 PM
dynasty_d
Scooby Newbie

Im trying to find as much about this car as possible, the car dash dial only reads up to 130mph too??? im pretty much sure that that cant be right as the dials in the toyota previa goes up to 140mph! I'll post pics up asap as the garage have had the car for the past 2 weeks, it might be the fact that they were busy working on other cars and using that HG situation as an excuse... another theory ive come up with is that the whole front end of a 1998 car was fitted as it does have the facelift front end??? the guy at the garage did point this out straight away, unless imports were originally that way?? I'll be collecting the car Thursday and i'll ask him more questions and him claiming to be ex prodrive, im sure he should know the answers...