Notices

Tell Tell Signs... Is it a kosher car??

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2010, 04:02 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell Tell Signs... Is it a kosher car??

Hi guys,

I found this scooby for sale and need a bit of advice.

Its pretty much exactly like mine. A version 6 on a W plate (mine is on a V plate).

I have a few questions, things that are different to my car:

1. the scooby badge on the front is the stars and not the 'i' as with mine.

2. the seats dont have the red right over the top and on the bits where your thighs sit as on mine

3. it has an air bag, unlike mine

I thought all the imports had an 'i' badge not the stars, I thought that was a UK thing?
Also with the seats, they look like the seats I had in my version 3/4? I thought the seats in the 5/6 onwards had more red on them?

I just wanna make sure its kosher as my brother is on his way to buy it this Sat.

Thanks guys
Old 02 November 2010, 04:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chassis code on the vin plate will tell you how kosher it is, then check it with the one on the bulkhead.
Version 6 STI's will also have clutch push start.

Tony
Old 02 November 2010, 04:12 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Yeah its got the clutch push down start like mine :-)

The VIN is a G I think if memory serves correct. GC8C..G or whatever, thats the same as mine... eventho my car is a ('99) V its got a VIN code the same as a 2000 car.

I was just curious about the seats mainly?

The guy seems proper genuine and everything checks out, but just wanted to be extra extra certain about this car and you guys are the experts
Old 02 November 2010, 04:16 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

never been thrashed then says

'Performance wise this is a full fat JDM STI, and shouldn't be compared to a UK turbo 2000.
Golf R32s/ BMW M3's/ EVO's/ Starlets and all manor of other sports cars have seen what this looks like from behind! UK subaru's can't touch it either, when you want performance jap is the only way to go!'

Sounds like thrashing to me, seems genuin enough, personaly i'd prefer one that was mapped to uk fuel straight away on import, but thats just me and depends who you ask
Old 02 November 2010, 04:20 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seats are the same as my old version 5
Old 02 November 2010, 04:29 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

The 1st thing that is going to happen is an ECU and have it mapped to UK fuel, I'm very much on the same way of thinking as you Tidgy

But other than that it runs beautifully and ticks over so smooth I was very impressed with it.

So am I being overly fussy with the seats and badge then? Its got the wind deflectors and I told my bro that I'm having them as a finders fee, lol
Old 02 November 2010, 04:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The interior isnt a version 6, more like a version 3 or 4, version 6's have more red than 5's, the entire headrest should have red trim and so should the seat base.

Tony
Old 02 November 2010, 04:43 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Coil packs look to be V5/6 but intercooler - is that a V3/4 or does it have an adaptor plate?
Old 02 November 2010, 05:07 PM
JohnHey
Scooby Regular

Worst of all........................it says SOLD at the bottom of the ad!
Old 03 November 2010, 10:27 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Its sold to my bro

But he hasnt actually done the deal til this Sat... I just wanted to double check a few points.

The intercooler has a plate adaptor for the HKS - I've forgotten what my tmic used to look like, lol

TonyBurns - So I was right in thinking the seats are ver 3/4... why would this car which appears to be a version 6 have ver 3/4 seats??
Old 03 November 2010, 11:38 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

You have done a full HPi check haven't you??

If the car is as the advert reads, then your bro has a nice car. I do like them in white.

But as already pointed out by yourself and others, little things are not tallying.

Old 03 November 2010, 12:05 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I have HPI'd it and its clear... these little niggles dont tally, but I've been over the car with a fine toothed comb and tested it as much as poss. It is a very nice car indeed and runs sweet as a nut.

I have a good feeling about it so I think based on all the info and what I've seen I'm going to tell him to go thru with the purchase.

An ecu is 1st on the shopping list as I will be much happier once its running on UK fuel
Old 03 November 2010, 12:55 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex_00s
I have HPI'd it and its clear... these little niggles dont tally, but I've been over the car with a fine toothed comb and tested it as much as poss. It is a very nice car indeed and runs sweet as a nut.

I have a good feeling about it so I think based on all the info and what I've seen I'm going to tell him to go thru with the purchase.

An ecu is 1st on the shopping list as I will be much happier once its running on UK fuel
Ok, it might just be me being over cautious. Which VRM did you use to HPi it with, the one in the photo, or have you got the re-issued one??

The last M3 i drove was capable of 155mph+ so wouldn't be sat behind you at 118mph.

I wouldn't say that it is 'very rare.

56k and it's "had a brand new Exedy clutch fitted which still has loads of life left in it"

I would think even if the Exedy was on from the factory it should "still have loads left in it". As should the factory unit, unless it has been hammered. So why was it replaced??

Only 2 tyres replaced, that could be from lots of drag starts and would tie in with the clutch. If it has been regularly launched then other components my be on their limits too.

Not trying to burst any bubbles mate. Just an unbias view and opinions for you.

Good luck with the car.
Old 03 November 2010, 01:53 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

there is the possibility the seats were worn so he has replaced them and it hasnt done 56k more like 86k, they are the same seats has mine btw and mine is a v4
Old 03 November 2010, 01:55 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I totally appreciate your comment I know you're not trying to pi$$ on my parade

You've raised a good point and it'd be very difficult to find out the true of anything you've said. I can only go on this current owner and that he's a ver genuine bloke... I've bought and sold so many cars you get to suss ppl out and he seems very sensible and not a boy racer or anything like that.

But then you dont know who had it b4 him and you're right it could have been thrashed to go thru a clutch and tyres at the same time... maybe the prev owner just bought it to rag for a while and got rid when things were begining to show wear... leave the next owner (ie. this guy) to pick up the bill for repairs??

I used the private plate on the HPI, but on the report it showed that the plate is changed and gave the new reg
Old 03 November 2010, 01:58 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Id be wary clutch shouldnt be replaced at that mileage
Old 03 November 2010, 01:59 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

as long as the big ends didnt go i wouldnt be bovered, mileage on imports is a lottery anyway,does it still read in km btw
Old 03 November 2010, 03:12 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

It reads in mph and still has the restrictor on it (how is that removed btw?)

The engine runs beautifully, no knocking what so ever from the big ends - she purrs smooth and true
Old 03 November 2010, 03:13 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Yeah its got the clutch push down start like mine :-)

The VIN is a G I think if memory serves correct. GC8C..G or whatever,
Is it a GC8C or a GC8G? Big difference between the two!

thats the same as mine... eventho my car is a ('99) V its got a VIN code the same as a 2000 car.
Are you bearing in mind the fact that the JDM model year coding is different to the rest of the world? Is your car a UK/Euro market one? If so, GC8G on these is MY99. UK/Euro MY00 is GC8H...

I was just curious about the seats mainly?
The seats look like you would expect in a 6.

The guy seems proper genuine and everything checks out, but just wanted to be extra extra certain about this car and you guys are the experts
There's nothing in the advert that suggests the car is not what it appears to be, although the comments above about checking via alternative avenues are more than fair enough. The main item of interest/potential concern I picked up is the fact that it's described as bog standard (and therefore will be running standard STi 6 mapping) but has a K&N induction kit fitted.

The bloke's gone out of his way to mention pretty much everything about the car but hasn't said anything about the fuel it's been run on. Combination of standard mapping + induction kit (even a good quality one like the K&N), even on V Power, is far from ideal. Would be worth asking him about what's gone in the tank and see if any mention of octane booster comes back.

First thing I would do if I'd bought the car is take advantage of the fact that the original intake/airbox bits are available, and refit them. Then get it checked out for proper running, and map it properly. Standard DV would be going back on too but that's a far less critical issue.
Old 03 November 2010, 03:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It reads in mph and still has the restrictor on it
Are you sure about that? As standard and without any derestriction the speedo should read in km/h only and the odometer will be in kilos.

(how is that removed btw?)
You can either fit an external electronic gadget which divides the speedometer pulse frequency by 1.609 (and therefore making it read in miles per hour), or, much better, alter/remove the restriction in ROM when the car is being remapped. This is preferable as the ECU includes a load of speed-based stuff which doesn't work properly when you use an external divider.
Old 03 November 2010, 03:35 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

The VIN code def had a G in it, but also a C as far as I recall... I know that C is for a ver3/4 and G is for a 5/6. I'll ask the guy the exact code and post it up.

He did say the only mods he's done is fit the k&n and also a full cobra exhaust system inc headers and sports cat down pipe.

Its always been run on V power since he's had it which has only been a year, but he mentioned he used octane booster in the begining...

I will fit the original dump valve and air box
Old 03 November 2010, 03:44 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Are you sure about that? As standard and without any derestriction the speedo should read in km/h only and the odometer will be in kilos.

You can either fit an external electronic gadget which divides the speedometer pulse frequency by 1.609 (and therefore making it read in miles per hour), or, much better, alter/remove the restriction in ROM when the car is being remapped. This is preferable as the ECU includes a load of speed-based stuff which doesn't work properly when you use an external divider.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to take it on a motorway and test it I didnt actually drive the car, my bro and dad took turns test driving it and they didnt notice whether the speedo read in mph or not altho the guy says it does... I cant imagine him lying considering they took it for a drive, but again another thing I will double check on thank you

So when the car is mapped the restrictor can be removed then? Thats the route we'll take I think
Old 03 November 2010, 03:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The VIN code def had a G in it, but also a C as far as I recall... I know that C is for a ver3/4 and G is for a 5/6. I'll ask the guy the exact code and post it up.
The fourth character of the applied model code is the model year, so as long as that's a G and it's a JDM import then it's an MY2000. Shouldn't be any C's in it if it's an STi version 6. Worth checking, that.

I will fit the original dump valve and air box
Sorted. Don't forget the resonator and uptake prior to the airbox, they're important.
The only way to be absolutely sure is to take it on a motorway and test it I didnt actually drive the car, my bro and dad took turns test driving it and they didnt notice whether the speedo read in mph or not altho the guy says it does...
Odd one that. The previous owner says in his advert that it hasn't been deristricted, which would suggest it has the standard 0-180km/h speedo. However, it would have needed some sort of conversion done on it to get it through SVA...

So when the car is mapped the restrictor can be removed then? Thats the route we'll take I think
You can remove it from the ECU via mapping, yes. This would still leave the speedo - although as you say, it sounds like something's already been done with this. One is using a divider (and sticking a bit of tape over the "k" in "km/h" on the card), the other one is simply changing the display card behind the needle so it reads in miles per hour instead of km/h. If the latter approach has been taken, once you take the restriction out of the ECU, the speedo needle will still go off the scale over 112mph. Either way you'll need to work out what's what and go from there.
Old 03 November 2010, 05:38 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Thank you all very much for the comments and advice