Notices

£25, 15% up fuel economy, more bhp - hocus-pocus

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 02:38 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think.........MaxPower tested it this month.... (Cough Cough, was reading it at the newsagent... Cough Cough)

They found no evidence of any improvement

J
Old 08 April 2002, 02:56 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Sounds exactly like the things that 'descale the water pipes in your house'
Old 08 April 2002, 08:02 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My aunt has just fitted something sounding very similar to her car, she had the emission tested before and after fitting, thye definatley went down, trouble is they were barely readable before, she's also found a slight increase in mpg, if you try it, let us know the findings, I could do with saving a few quid on fuel!
Old 09 April 2002, 12:20 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I've read a little more about this on the internet. There are loads of examples claiming hydrocarbon fuels burn better if ionised by a magnetic field. Eg if you hold magnets by the side of a *** lighter you can feel the flame get hotter; merlin engines were fitted with magnets in WW2 to give fighter planes greater range but it was a military secret! etc etc

However, the Environmental Protection Agency in the USA has scientifically tested many "fuel saving devices" and published a document on the web - bottom line there is no evidence anything like this works and can sometimes be detrimental. Also they have supported law suits against some companies for the way they advertise these things. (Suprise, suprise!)

Anyway I wont be trying this out - I should have bowed down to the advice of Max Power magazine in the first place
Old 09 April 2002, 03:07 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

i know the thing you mean, i read an article by ccg i think who scientifically bench tested it, it showed to have NO gains.

They tested it on a golf with all sorts of calibration equipment, but did conclude that it showed no gains on THIS car.
Old 09 April 2002, 03:42 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

I have somethig like this for 2 years. No power gain only smooter idle ans beter emisions.
Old 04 August 2002, 02:07 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Smile

Was flicking through the TV channels last weekend and stopped on a shopping channel because there was a dyno graph of a Skyline GTR on screen. They were selling a widget for £25 which was basically some neodynium magnets which you attach around the fuel line. Something to do with alignment of hyrocarbon molecules and impurities in the fuel apparently causing a more complete combustion. Before and after data was shown demonstrating 15%reduced fuel consumption, 8% extra bhp on the Skyline and reduced exhaust emissions on an older car.

I accept that nearly all of these things are a con, but for low cost I almost thought of trying it! I am a research scientist by profession and their explanation was sketchy to say the least.

Could this ever work? After all some people believe in Broquet and such like!

[Edited by Boost II - 4/8/2002 2:08:29 PM]