Notices

MY05 STI Prodrive not rotating once jump started engine management light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2010, 09:18 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 STI Prodrive not rotating once jump started engine management light stays on

No ignition have to bump start once started engine light does not go out, moderate white smoke from exhaust with slight rattling noise from inside the exhaust, white smoke has been coming from exhaust when starting normal for 6 weeks is this why light has come on and are they connected can anyone plz help
Old 14 October 2010, 09:22 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

White smoke is normally burning water, not sure if head gaskets going on impreza's common but common on other older makes of car.

Needs checking out at a garage before you do more damage to engine!!!
Old 14 October 2010, 11:29 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

You need to see what the code is matey. Possible crank sensor failure?

White smoke. It's getting damper at the mo so could be condensation?

Wouldn't rule out above however.

Whats your location? If your local-ish can plug code reader into your car to save you some money on a garge.

Steve
Old 15 October 2010, 08:25 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

could be two non related things, smoke as said above when you say no ignition? do you mean no lights on dash at all? or no starter cranking? or both?

im gonna guess as its starts from a bump that its starter related either starter itself or the starter relay or immobiliser but more info would be good Does it click when you try to start it?

Last edited by Turbotits; 15 October 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 16 October 2010, 04:05 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Angry Reply to my Thursdays post

My uni studies have kept me from the forum since posting on Thursday night, and the car is not making a clicking noise from starter but battery has been fully charged since and lights glow brightly when trying to rotate the car so fault must lay in the circuit or soleonoid and for the White smoke it's been smoking since mid august Only at first start even when it was very warm temps we were getting. It starts to smoke from 1200rpm untill it's idling at about 857-900rpms then absolutley no smoke when driving but there is power loss once it has warmed up and had a couple of 2nd 3rd gear blasts it seems to be dead guys..
Old 16 October 2010, 04:15 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Also if starting circuit or soleonoid has fault were would I locate the actual starter motor to test with my voltmeter, on the myo5 sti. it's a type Uk also

many thanks to you fellow scooby enthuisiasts showing an interest in my post. Also to Steve my location is in freezing east Scotland, Dundee were the temps are perfect for the scooby topmount intercooler to sook up the colder dense air and I can't even get out to enjoy it lol, once again thanks guys.
Old 16 October 2010, 06:00 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

The starters located on the nearsinde under the intercooler accessed from the top. Id guess the first thing to do would be to check for voltage at the exciter wire, If voltage there when key in crank position then its likely to be starter or the main earth/live wiring to it. If no power then immobiliser or starter relay/fuse would be where id start
Old 16 October 2010, 07:12 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Turbotits for starter location info, but don't mean to sound illiterate. I take it the exciter is the live connection to the soleonoid by it's harness or is there a live positive connection that is screwed to it by a nut. I have also only bump started it once and need to again in about 20mins would doing this untill Monday morning say three times in all do any damage to the engine.. Thanks
Old 17 October 2010, 10:11 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

You have the main thick Live wire to the soloniod and a small thin one> the small thin one is the exciter> this should become live when the ignition is held in the crank position. It could be held in place with a 10mm nut or have a spade connector and just a push on connection> put a volt metre on it and check to see what happens> if you get voltage, If you do that illiminates the imobiliser and relays etc and points towards either the main earth and live wires for the starter. If there good and tight with good clean connections then its the starter itself
Old 17 October 2010, 01:47 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Question

Went out to car this morn and now the starters clicking and was clicking from thurs till this morn being Sunday so I can't be starter motor. Thinking now towards fuse/relay of starter problem I have is I'm not sure were to locate starter fuse/relay
Old 17 October 2010, 01:57 PM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

This iPhone of mine is spelling absolute s**t words and I'm not noticing these untill it's posted, starter is clicking today being Sunday hasn't done so since first problem of it on Thursday.. I do apologise turbotits
Old 17 October 2010, 06:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Thats cool if starter clicking then we can assume its getting the signal from ignition switch to go. so its either the starter itself, the battery is flat or the wiring to the starter does not have a good connection main live and earth although id go with starter.

Do the ignition lights dim when you try to crank?
Old 18 October 2010, 02:06 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Yeah, they dim apart from batt light, engine management light. The clock on dash and the lights glow brightly whilst cranking too. The wires at the exciter harness were really greasey with thickish sludge, cleaned and now it's not clicking at all but the above lights and clock still go dim and you can hear a current type noise whilst cranking. TT I also found a small relitivley new by feel, patch of oil on the underside of startermotors itself any ideas cause I couldn't locate a possible source.. If I do need to purchase a new starter anychance when you've got time, could you think hard as to where in the Uk I can get one for less than a £100, as that's all the funds got availble till student loan thru..

Thanks dude..
Old 18 October 2010, 02:13 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

Steve you were right, had obd tester on car this savo and the crank positioning sensor was the only problem there and the car seemed happier for the 4 or 5 mins i'd got to drive it for,

Thanks to yourself and especialy Turbotits for diagnosing correctly 90% of other faults associated...
Old 18 October 2010, 04:59 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice talking to you tonight mate Hopefully you'll get it all sorted out asap.

Student loans, don't you just love them
Old 18 October 2010, 08:18 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Hey mate, not a problem at all. Glad I could be of some use.

Hope you get it sorted and you can enjoy the car again soon.

Steve