Notices

remap ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2010, 08:10 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remap ?

do i need a remap if i fit a decat exhaust to my car ?
Old 04 September 2010, 08:52 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

to make it safe, yes. you can still drive it but it would not be advised as boost spike will occur and may kill your engine. a decat is not really necessary if you don't want to go for big power, and if you go for decent/big power then you will need a remap anyway, for the bigger turbo etc. unless you just want to decat it for the sound.
Old 04 September 2010, 08:55 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

ok what if i change back box and center pipe then fit the decat down pipe when i have cash for a remap
Old 04 September 2010, 08:57 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

it should be ok as the backbox and centre pipe are not that restrictive anyway, the downpipe cat is the main one and removing that causes the majority if not all of the boost spike.
Old 04 September 2010, 09:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

IIRC, the STI is more susceptible to boost spike than the WRX, newage anyway. My WRX is decatted apart from the up pipe and not remapped, no spiking occurs.
Old 04 September 2010, 09:31 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

i have an sti and need a new exhaust as center pipe is rusted and its 8 years old and not been changed dont wont it falling off when driving but cash is tight at mo how much is a remap ? willing to exchange trades if a mapper has a workshop door that needs work doing or a service as i work for 1 off the biggest industrail door companys
Old 04 September 2010, 09:55 PM
livefreeordie999
Scooby Regular

What is this "spiking" ?? What does that mean and how do you know if it's happening.

The guy I bought my wry off said it was decatted, how do I tell? Where is the cat located and what should it look like?

I'm getting the car rolling roaded tomoro morning, so will they know if the car has been remapped? Does remapping a wrx make it easier on fuel aswell??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by livefreeordie999; 04 September 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2010, 09:55 PM
livefreeordie999
Scooby Regular

What is this "spiking" ?? What does that mean and how do you know if it's happening.

The guy I bought my wry off said it was decatted, how do I tell? Where is the cat located and what should it look like?

Thanks in advance
Old 05 September 2010, 07:04 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

think its when ya car bost at diff amonts each time not a the same psi as normal
Old 05 September 2010, 07:12 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

I have decatted my car apart from the up pipe, it has a prodrive sports cat on it and drives very well, but would need a remap by andy c when i remove the uppipe for the sti one
Old 06 September 2010, 04:22 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by livefreeordie999

Thanks in advance
boost spike is when a car is decatted and not remapped. the car builds boost quicker than it thinks it can and therefore builds too much. when the car realizes its built too much boost, it drops down to normal level, sometimes causes a jerk, isn't massive, maybe no jerk at all, but if there is one then it will be a small one. you would most probably have to connect a laptop or something that reads the ecu and take it for a drive.

if you open the bonnet and look at the back of the engine on the left, you should see a turbo, there will be a pipe coming off the turbo and going down and under the car, if the pipe is straight with no bulges then the car is decatted, if there is a bulge in the pipe halfway down then the cat is still in place. also the decatted pipe will be smooth and shiny, the cat will have heat shields and brackets on it.

Decatted

http://www.templetuning.co.uk/ekmps/...decat_pipe.jpg

Catted
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/lar...rv=1&current=2
Old 07 September 2010, 10:44 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

how much is a remap on avage
Old 08 September 2010, 03:07 AM
71/200
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p.lambo
Depends if you go OS or Ecutek, OS is cheaper for a reason, the guys mapping OS are fairly new to the game and some were having their own cars mapped by pros just 2 years ago! Go figure, its like anything you pay for what you get.

Never delved into the OS it just didnt appeal to me whatsoever. My car ran Ecutek until yesterday when i went stand alone.

Too many OS mappers out there claiming to be good, there is a large thread on here somewhere, dont get wrong some of the OS mappers do know what they are doing and would do a good job but most lack experiance.

Yes we all start somewhere but that somewhere wont be my car.

I watched a so called OS mapper custom map a car, he flashed a generic file onto the ECU got the guy to drive round for a while pressing buttons on the laptop that did nothing. At the end of it told the guy he had a custom map but in relaity he had the same map as Joe bloggs down the road.

Some would say Ecutek mappers could quite easily do that, my belief is they would never risk their business or reputation over it. Its costs alot of money to become an Ecutek dealer, Ecutek dont just sell to Tom Dick and Harry, some of the OS guys would like to be Ecutek dealers but never will be, the reasons behind that are not known to me but often the OS route is a quick buck in the making from Scooby Newbies.

OS software is free so its there for anybody to use, some make money from it some use it for DIY mapping. Not all those that make money from it are good, there are several OS mappers on here, some authorised advertisers some not. But search the names of the advertisers and see who was doing the mapping on their own cars a few years ago. It was not them lol

Last edited by 71/200; 08 September 2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10 September 2010, 09:38 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p.lambo
i would get an open source remap from duncan at race dynamix. well priced at £350 a remap, even though that is for a open source remap, the guy does know what he is doing.
Old 10 September 2010, 09:40 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

theres been a full decat on my classic for 7 years with no probs at all.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71/200
Depends if you go OS or Ecutek, OS is cheaper for a reason, the guys mapping OS are fairly new to the game and some were having their own cars mapped by pros just 2 years ago! Go figure, its like anything you pay for what you get.

Never delved into the OS it just didnt appeal to me whatsoever. My car ran Ecutek until yesterday when i went stand alone.

Too many OS mappers out there claiming to be good, there is a large thread on here somewhere, dont get wrong some of the OS mappers do know what they are doing and would do a good job but most lack experiance.

Yes we all start somewhere but that somewhere wont be my car.

I watched a so called OS mapper custom map a car, he flashed a generic file onto the ECU got the guy to drive round for a while pressing buttons on the laptop that did nothing. At the end of it told the guy he had a custom map but in relaity he had the same map as Joe bloggs down the road.

Some would say Ecutek mappers could quite easily do that, my belief is they would never risk their business or reputation over it. Its costs alot of money to become an Ecutek dealer, Ecutek dont just sell to Tom Dick and Harry, some of the OS guys would like to be Ecutek dealers but never will be, the reasons behind that are not known to me but often the OS route is a quick buck in the making from Scooby Newbies.

OS software is free so its there for anybody to use, some make money from it some use it for DIY mapping. Not all those that make money from it are good, there are several OS mappers on here, some authorised advertisers some not. But search the names of the advertisers and see who was doing the mapping on their own cars a few years ago. It was not them lol

Hi mate just tell me main differnce beetwen EcuTek and OS?
Big difference is just price and you have licence,thats all.
With EcuTek or OS you get its same power(but this depend from mapper).
And why people use often OS?Just ask some people here,why?
Or look at some comments posted here on SN.
Some here guys are reputated OS mappers like Duncan@RaceDynamix,Neil@Slowboy Racing,Rich@FiestaBoy etc.
Look at this
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-mapping.html

Last edited by jura11; 10 September 2010 at 10:27 PM.