Notices

water leak with pics PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 07:21 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak with pics PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone i went out with the family today as it was the last day before the kids go back to school.
We turned up at a local place to go for a nice walk around the hills parked and locked up the car and off we set. About an hour latter we came back to the car to find a big puddle on the floor OMG so i had a look at the water level and there was enough to get us home. Anyway to the point after removing the intercooler and air filter pipework i managed to see the water leak right in the middle of the engine all i need is just a little help to tell me what it can be? i think what ever it is theres going to be a bit of work involved. Thanks everyone

Old 01 September 2010, 07:32 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

if its the little pipe on the right that is leaking then its the throttle body water pipe. its not really required and easily bypassed, there is a sticky in the projects forum on the mod.

the two pipes in the middle are just oil breathers and the red one is the turbo feed/return

Last edited by dbay; 01 September 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01 September 2010, 07:33 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When you look at the last picture showing the throttle body. You can see a pipe with a silver sprung clip, this is one of the water pipes for the throttle body so check this. It may also be that the water has settled there and is coming from else where. As it is next to the turbo check around the water pipes on the side of the turbo.
Hope this helps steve
Old 01 September 2010, 08:50 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

im thinking its worse than a pipe as it leaks quite bad and i couldnt see anything wrong with any of them, is the housing for the stat under there as the top rad hose joins on a alloy pipe coming out from underneath that area
Old 01 September 2010, 08:56 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like you breather has been leaking oil on to that throttle body water pipe and made it soft and split mate
niktiler
Scooby Regular

It might make it easier to find if you get the engine running and warm so the water is under more pressure, you should hear it hissing if its a split pipe or something
dbay
Scooby Regular

no the stat is on the bottom passenger side front, the pipe for the top rad hose is connected to the crossover pipe linking both blocks. you will have to take the inlet manifold off to replace the seals.
Old 01 September 2010, 09:10 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

i had the engine running before i took of the intercooler and filter pipes and i couldnt see no steam or hear any hissing or anything but it was coming out like a tap from the bottom of the engine running from where the engine mount is.
Old 01 September 2010, 09:27 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

it will do if the seals are gone on the crossover pipe the water pump will just keep pumpming it out. seals wont be much there just 2 rubber o rings becarful when you undo the 4 bolts clamping the crossover pipe to the block they are prone to corrosion and some times snap
Old 01 September 2010, 09:36 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help im going to take a closer look tomorrow at the pipes and if theres no luck ill take the inlet off and go from there.
Old 02 September 2010, 05:26 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
looks like you breather has been leaking oil on to that throttle body water pipe and made it soft and split mate

this man was right i took her all to bits today and the bottom of the hose where it bends had gone realy soft and there was a tiny little split (surprised me) so i cleaned up all the mess and replaced the pipe. thanks mate
Old 02 September 2010, 05:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Small split + pressure = lots of water/steam, trust me. When my top hose went it produced CLOUDS of steam, and water everywhere, but the split was a couple of mm if that and only visible when it was pressurised, or when you took it off and really twisted it.
Old 02 September 2010, 08:41 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daddyscooby
this man was right i took her all to bits today and the bottom of the hose where it bends had gone realy soft and there was a tiny little split (surprised me) so i cleaned up all the mess and replaced the pipe. thanks mate
no worries
Regards Ryan
Old 11 October 2010, 12:25 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

That is exactly what happened to mine, took me ages to find it as I didn't know there was a water pipe going to the throttle body. I wanted to change it for a silcone hose but couldn't find one at short notice but will be looking into it more, just to replace it for piece of mind.