Notices

Going MAF less

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2010, 06:55 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going MAF less

When going MAF less, do you just unplug the MAF and remove it? Can you buy a replacement hose for a 96 WRX or is it a case of measuring the hose required and buying from Samco etc?

Also, what about the MAF plug, should I just wrap in plastic and tie wrap out of the way?

I know about remap requirements etc I just want to know about what is left afterwards, Thanks
Old 31 August 2010, 07:03 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazman861
When going MAF less, do you just unplug the MAF and remove it? Can you buy a replacement hose for a 96 WRX or is it a case of measuring the hose required and buying from Samco etc?

Also, what about the MAF plug, should I just wrap in plastic and tie wrap out of the way?

I know about remap requirements etc I just want to know about what is left afterwards, Thanks
i beleive you can just unplug and leave in situ or as some people have done remove and fit a a large alloy intake cone with a suitable filter.
Old 31 August 2010, 08:46 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks, I thought that might be the case. I assumed that it could just be removed and my K&N just connects to the turbo inlet. Another Q comes to mind, what about the pipes that enter the inlet tract? are they all just breathers? and if so can they just be plumbed into a catch can along with the two crankcase breathers?
Old 31 August 2010, 08:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My Type R still had the MAF connected when I had the Simtek. Even though its not using the MAF itself it was still there until I can get a alloy pipe fitted to my filter!!!! If it doesnt bother you keep it in there for the time being until you find a hose or alloy pipe !!!!
Old 31 August 2010, 09:30 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok thanks, I thought that might be the case. I assumed that it could just be removed and my K&N just connects to the turbo inlet. Another Q comes to mind, what about the pipes that enter the inlet tract? are they all just breathers? and if so can they just be plumbed into a catch can along with the two crankcase breathers?
Do you have a MY96 i.e. the early engine with the slanty IC and coilpacks-on-plugs?

Easiest way is to wholesale remove the MAF + air box assy, but keep the OEM 90-deg downturned turbo intake hose as that has all the ports on for DV and oil breathers. Then you can fit a cone filter on the other end with a suitable dia. ally joiner (depending on the dia. of the cone's flange, you may have to get a reducing type joiner...)

Shrink wrap the MAF connector from the elements (in case you want to turn it back to stock e.g. if you need to sell...)

The only thing that will be left over is the large idle speed control breather pipe that would have gone to the airbox - don't know where this would go...

Last edited by joz8968; 31 August 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01 September 2010, 05:33 PM
Tazman861
Scooby Regular

Thanks Joz, Yes mine is (was) a slanty IC car, It now has a FMIC and K&N IC plus more. I really wanted to get rid of all the breathers into the inlet pipe and just have a smooth pipe from the K&N into the Turbo.

The large idle speed control breather pipe that would have gone to the airbox you mention goes into a hole in the base of the K&N filter!
Old 01 September 2010, 06:22 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...The large idle speed control breather pipe that would have gone to the airbox you mention goes into a hole in the base of the K&N filter!
Wicked, yeah some of them have that, so that's sorted!

I just sold a res. delete pipe and two silicones. The turbo intake one was indeed a fully smooth SFS intake silicone for the early car. It's a 90-deg reducing job -- air filter end is either 70mm or 76mm OD (can't remember) and the turbo end is the std 57/58mm.

You can get such slicone reducers on eBay no sweat......

Last edited by joz8968; 01 September 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01 September 2010, 06:39 PM
mazmike
BANNED

Default hi

on my 1997 sti i had the maff removed but they spilt the wirers and put a sencer in to the fmic pipe
Old 01 September 2010, 06:56 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

i removed the resonator box when i put my induction kit on and the big breather pipe i connected to the down pipe were the stock dv fits on (i have a non stock dv) all you have to do is take the breather pipe off the car n put back on backwards and use a joiner connecter pipe cost me £3 to sort