Notices

Gearbox trouble!! code advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2010, 08:12 PM
jperkie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gearbox trouble!! code advise please!

evening all, i have an x reg turbo 2000 ,a few months back noticed that the gearbox started to feel a bit worn when driving, and now and again when in fifth if you took your foot of the throttle it would jump out of fifth gear, so with this in mind decided to fit a vf28 turbo and had a remap just to finish it off!! was well surprised when it came out at 312 bhp but the chap that done my remap said that it felt like my gearbox's days were numberd!! which just confirmed what i had thought.so i have now decided to get another gearbox, my current g/box code is TY754VN1AA and looking on ebay i found a rebuilt uprated TY754VN4AA with all new seals ,bearings and syncros, contacted the seller to make sure this box would fit without having to change anything else and the seller assured me it would as he explained that it is the VN part of the code which is the crucial bit that i need to worry about and he said that it would be a like for like replacement without having to change anything else, i was just hoping that you helpfull people could just confirm what i have been told? as i did not want to miss this g/box so i bought it on the hope that the seller knows what he is talking about? any info would be appreciated. p.s sorry for the long winded way of explaining it but thought it would make more sense from start to finish!!!!! thanks jamie.

Last edited by jperkie; 25 August 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...formation.html

Tony
Old 25 August 2010, 08:29 PM
jperkie
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that link ,it lists my current box but do'snt list the box i have just bought?
Old 25 August 2010, 08:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possably a new age gearbox out of a wrx.

Tony
Old 25 August 2010, 09:16 PM
jperkie
Scooby Newbie

if that is the case is it still going to go straight in with no problems?? i.e diff change etc?
Old 25 August 2010, 10:00 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

As long as its the same drop gear to match the diff, try and get the code from your diff and match them up.Its usually better to try and buy a g/box and matchin diff, sometimes saves a lot of hassle in the long run. Stick it in and after 5 mins of drivin you will know if its ok, if not just find a diff to match... Then get the bits to repair your own box and sell it with a matchin diff or keep it as a spare...
Old 25 August 2010, 10:09 PM
jperkie
Scooby Newbie

that is a good idea but it is that sort of hassle that i am trying to avoid? but i have been assured by the seller that it will be fine!! but just wanted your thoughts and suggestions on it? thanks
Old 25 August 2010, 10:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The "jumping out of fifth" issue is a well known problem caused by a loose locking nut, with a relatively easy fix. It can in many circumstances be done very cheaply without removing the box from the car, provided you catch it early.

The VN4AA box is, as above, out of a newage (MY03) WRX. It should be a straight swap. However, it is a debatable point as to how much longer it will cope with the power than the unit you have now, were you to have the locknut replaced.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:40 PM
jperkie
Scooby Newbie

well the fifth gear issue is the main problem but it is somtimes difficult to get in 1st and rev and it feels like there is a lot of end float in the box when you start slowing down, it dosnt feel smoth to drive when you are going steady about 35ish and hold the throttle steady in 3rd you can feel the car fluctuate slightly backwards and forwards untill you go a bit faster or change gear? so i thought i would bite the bullet and get another box?. thanks for the info jamie