Subaru Impreza Wagon 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2010, 11:14 AM
rkidscd001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza Wagon 2000

Hello everyone,
I am looking at purchasing the above vehicle in the next few days.

I need a car that has enough space to fit my Dog in (Winston), tow my trailer for my track bike and also still give me lots of fun when im on my own. I thought that this ticks all the boxes so I think im going to go for it.

I just wanted to ask if there are any things that I need to look out for on a car of this age and mileage (88k)

It has 18 stamps across 2 service books, im yet to look at the car and service book but im told its in great condition and has had two owners from new.

What are the service schedules on these? Do they have serviceable cam belts or do they run off chains?

All help and advice is welcomed.

Thanks!!
Old 08 August 2010, 01:31 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mate, the service on these are every 10k but most people do 5k oil changes. The cambelt on that year car should be changed every 40k. As for things to look out for, obviously that the service history has been kept upto date. Plus make sure the car has no silly mods fitted such as a dump valve, induction ect..

Where is the car located?
Old 08 August 2010, 01:38 PM
shamone
Scooby Regular

Great choice! Should be ideal to fits your needs - mine is my daily drive for a long commute, fits our (extremely large) border collie in the back, and is indeed mucho fun!

Just make sure you buy a well loved one - plenty of history and serviced on time (every 7500) and not from a 20 year old that's kicked its head in every day. i got mine at 108k and it's now at 136 with no major issues yet.

Look out for any signs of abuse and make sure you test drive it properly - with time on AND off boost. Key things at 88k will be clutch and cambelt - clutch will be pricey, although cam belt can be changed yourself if you're half decent with the spanners (kit with all pulleys is under £200).

One important thing to consider is the year, if you're thinking of doing anything to it in the future. If you get a 97-98 it won't be mappable as standard, you'd have to get an aftermarket ecu - so you'll find there's usually quite a hike in price for a 99-00. If leaving as standard, then don't worry about it!

If there's one in particular you've seen, post it up - someone on here may know it and be able to give you some additional history......
Old 08 August 2010, 02:08 PM
rkidscd001
Scooby Newbie

Hi L.J.F - The car has only had an exhaust fitted to it. It was installed to get it through the last MOT as the standard one had a hole in it. The car is located in MK.

Hi Shamone - cool name lol. I would assume that as its got a FSH, the Cambelt has been changed twice, and quite recent too as its only at 88k. With regards to the clutch, what are the tell tale signs? Obviously if it smells and/or slips, that is a dead give away but does the clutch pedal go heavy when its on the way out? I would also assume that the bite point would be quite high if its nearly gone. How much is a replacement clutch generally?

With regards to modding and remapping, I dont think I'll head down that route. Although saying that, I said I would'nt mod my Kawasaki ZX6R, I've only owned it approx 6 months and I've spent a grand so far on modding it lol

What sort of BHP do they run as standard? What can you get out of the engine with a remap without pushing it too hard? I know the main guy at Revo Technik, maybe he can have a play with it. and also, you can fit a removable towbar to these cant you?
Old 08 August 2010, 02:50 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Good choice mate,my recent wagon had 88,000 with a folder full of receipts and fsh and runs like it was made yesterday.If its a classic between 1999/2000 its 215 bhp std,before that then its 208 bhp,after 2003 then its 225bhp.Regarding remap with std tdo4 turbo and supporting mods should be good for 270 - 280 bhp.If you change to a bigger turbo,then up to 350 bhp before you trash the std box is the general sort of consensus on the forum. You can fit a towbar as my mate bought 1 which is brand new and he has not got round to fitting yet,whether it is removable or not i dont know.
Old 08 August 2010, 03:34 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

As above,270-280bhp with a remap/fuel pump/exhaust.

I had a Classic about 4 years ago that i bought completely standard and just changed the airfilter and exhaust on,and even that made a big difference,however,2 weeks ago i managed to locate a 1 owner late model Classic with low miles (50k) that the guy had done a the above conversion on and i have to say i love it,and at that level of tune is still completely reliable.

Service intervals are 7500 miles OR 6 monthly on a Classic,whichever comes first,and i believe a cambelt every 3 years/40k (mines had 3!!).
Old 08 August 2010, 03:56 PM
rkidscd001
Scooby Newbie

Hey Midnight, I'm based in Coventry too! Hopefully by the end of the week, we will have another Scooby Wagon cruising around Thanks for the info, cant wait to go and see it and have a good test drive in it. Woohoo!!

Toomanycars - I dont think such a thing is possible lol - Thanks for the tips
Old 08 August 2010, 09:27 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

What model year car are you looking at buying, and yes I live in wyken 3 mins from the hospital mate.
Old 09 August 2010, 07:13 AM
rkidscd001
Scooby Newbie

Its on a W plate.

The one I was looking at has sold now. I have found a low mileage one with just 35k on it. Thinking of going to look tonight, its in Green so hopefully I like it when I see it.