Notices

overheating HELP

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 06:28 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating HELP

well my car has decided to start over heating its a classic uk turbo 2000 on a 2000 plate ever since i had the car ive had to top the water up weekly in the headertank.

i last filled it up tuesday and bleed the system but this morning when driving i noticed it was get very hot on the gauge to the point where it was almost at the top. when i checked when i got to work the header tank was empty but i did notice the expansion bottle area was very wet but it has always done this since owning the car.

also when it was very hot i turned the heaters on full and it was hot for a few seconds then went cold

the bottom hose it hot aswell.

the head gasket was done on the nearside just before i bought the car but the offside wasnt done and there looks what looks like silcone around that area

there is no water and oil mix the oil is fresh as i only changed it a few weeks ago and it all clear.

so what im trying to find out is do you think its the offside head gasket gone or what the problem is

any ideas what it is i need to sort it once i found out what it is i can fix it until then the car wont move as i dont want to do any more damage

any help would be much appricated
Old 25 June 2010, 06:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Are you filling it up with a proper water/coolant mix, or just water? If the latter you are setting yourself up for further problems down the line. Also, you say you've been topping it up every week "since you had the car" - how long is that?

If the expansion tank is constantly wet, then, yes, it's certainly possible that the head gasket is gone. Whether it's the off- or nearside again though would be a good question - it's standard practice to replace both HG's if one has gone so one would wonder whether the previous replacement was carried out correctly.

You really need it looked at by someone who knows their stuff.
Old 25 June 2010, 06:57 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

its been water a coolant mix i been using ive had the car about 2 months now
Old 25 June 2010, 09:19 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

have just checked the paper work form whne the previous owner had done the n/s head gasket and it says that there was silcone on the head when remover and that it was warped and skimmed by 6 thou

would the block not needed skimming aswell?
Old 25 June 2010, 09:37 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinder
have just checked the paper work form whne the previous owner had done the n/s head gasket and it says that there was silcone on the head when remover and that it was warped and skimmed by 6 thou

would the block not needed skimming aswell?
not as a rule the block is to thick to warp so id say that your head gasket has gone if you cant c any sign of a leak and your constantly filling the expasion tank.
Old 25 June 2010, 09:47 PM
terzo314
Scooby Regular

is it still running ok or does it seam low on compression? ive just had headgasket problems, the car started over heating after i came back from a good run, the gauges kept rising but i didnt let it boil, best thing to do is a water coolant test mate, but dont let it boil over!!!
Old 25 June 2010, 10:34 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

The car seems to run ok when it's cool when it starts getting hot it's a bit low on power I'm tempted to pull it out to see what this silicone on the other head is all about I can't under stand why only one side was done
Old 26 June 2010, 02:55 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

A bit daft to take engine out and just do one side, but on the other hand if it was getting sold, maybe just botched up to get rid of it as didnt want the extra expence
Old 26 June 2010, 05:07 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Head gasket! Mine has done the same
Old 26 June 2010, 09:38 PM
kinder
Scooby Regular

yep went down to subaru today and they confirmed it was the head gasket so ill be pulling the engine out on my next day off