Notices

mapping and expected results question please.

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 08:33 PM
manonamission007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mapping and expected results question please.

Hi there,
Havent posted on here much but have been an avid reader and have found loads of useful posts whilst browsing.

My question is....
i have a 02 plate bugeye uk wrx, when i got it it was standard, (wanted to modify myself), i think i am now ready for the car to be remapped but a few questions first please.

1) im in s****horpe can anyone tell me of a reputable mapper that will come to s****horpe and the average price i should be expecting to pay, im not looking for silly power output, just sensible gain and mapping in my mods etc.

2) i have up to now got : blitz nur sprec r exhaust, walbro 255 fuel pump, 3 port perrin boost solenoid, induction kit and a fmic, have i forgotten anything? is their anything else i need to consider before mapping?

your advice is appreciated.
thanks

ps, i have only put the fmic on due to fitting a carbon imported custom bonnet and it doesnt allow enough air flow to the old intercooler.
Old 23 June 2010, 08:39 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Simon AKA Jollygreenmonster gets my vote, he is mobile so just contact him and see when he is in the area, I went to meet him at Scobyworld in Loughborough, not far from Scunny. Cost for the Ecutek re-map is about £620 I think
Old 23 June 2010, 08:40 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by manonamission007
Hi there,
Havent posted on here much but have been an avid reader and have found loads of useful posts whilst browsing.

My question is....
i have a 02 plate bugeye uk wrx, when i got it it was standard, (wanted to modify myself), i think i am now ready for the car to be remapped but a few questions first please.

1) im in s****horpe can anyone tell me of a reputable mapper that will come to s****horpe and the average price i should be expecting to pay, im not looking for silly power output, just sensible gain and mapping in my mods etc.

2) i have up to now got : blitz nur sprec r exhaust, walbro 255 fuel pump, 3 port perrin boost solenoid, induction kit and a fmic, have i forgotten anything? is their anything else i need to consider before mapping?

thanks

ps, i have only put the fmic on due to fitting a carbon imported custom bonnet and it doesnt allow enough air flow to the old intercooler.

a bigger turbo and a decat up-pipe (no large bore ebay bling bling ****e) should be on the list, as for mappers try andrew carr he is based norht west and uses open source so should save you a penny or two
Old 23 June 2010, 08:40 PM
06wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

My question is....

thanks

try Duncan @ race dynamix, he did mine and im very impressed with the outcome
Old 23 June 2010, 08:45 PM
manonamission007
Scooby Regular

have got the de cat up pipe on the agenda should be along shortly so will be on in time ready for map, i have questioned over a bigger turbo but should i go td05 or vf35 and what sort of return should i expect to gain in comparison to my tdo4 (obviously without tearing the engine to bits, i want to improve it not kill it)
thanks for advice so far
cheers
Old 23 June 2010, 08:52 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

have got the de cat up pipe on the agenda should be along shortly so will be on in time ready for map, i have questioned over a bigger turbo but should i go td05 or vf35 and what sort of return should i expect to gain in comparison to my tdo4 (obviously without tearing the engine to bits, i want to improve it not kill it)
thanks for advice so far
cheers
a freind had the same spec as you running a tdo5-16g(front entry converted) +sti pinks and it made 330/330 and was a quick car on the road.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:06 PM
manonamission007
Scooby Regular

if i go td05 - 16g will a classic td05 fit without modification? or do i need to look for a specific td05?
cheers
Old 23 June 2010, 10:51 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

if i go td05 - 16g will a classic td05 fit without modification? or do i need to look for a specific td05?
cheers
you will need a front entry housing as the tdo5-16g is a 90degree up swept intake and you will need the coolant pipes and maybe but not sure about the oil feed banjo bolt, the tdo5 is a good strong turbo that if you look hard enough can be found fairly cheap.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

if i go td05 - 16g will a classic td05 fit without modification?
No. TD05's fitted to pre-97MY Imprezas have a right angle entry to the compressor housing - rather than the front entry cover, so if you want to buy one of these, you would either have to get it converted yourself, or look for one that had already been done.

The other aspect of that approach is that buying a turbo that is now anything between 15 and 18 years old comes with all the obvious risks. If this is the sort of turbo you'd be looking at, it might be worth checking out what people like Andy F or Harvey have to offer. Alternatively the obvious option would be a VF35 seeing as they're newer, plentiful and cost-effective.

Blimey. I doubt anyone reputable would risk going anywhere near S****horpe. I mean, who'd want to drive past a sign with the word **** in it ffs? Maybe if you agreed to drive somewhere else, say, Gainsborough or Market Rasen, you might be able to attract someone.

Sheet, are you driving around with all that stuff on now, without a remap?

The main thing you've forgotten, if you're going to a TD05-ish turbo, is probably bigger injectors. TBH your car would probably be better off without a couple of those "mods", even post turbo swap. It'd definitely be running better (and safer) without than it will be if they've all been fitted.
Old 24 June 2010, 09:17 PM
manonamission007
Scooby Regular

in answer to splitpin - no it hasnt been driving about with everything on it, the bits have all been collected up over a period of time and i think its about ready to all go on now and be mapped, the only thing it has been driven with is the exhaust, i hadnt forgotten the injectors they were mentioned earlier in the thread and i had considered pinks along with the turbo was just trying to weigh up if it would be necessary as i had already mentioned earlier im not looking for massive gain, and would be prepared to put turbo and injectors on at a later date and map again.

if that all makes sense
now just trying to work out what mapper, and whats available as it is an area im unsure on
cheers
Old 24 June 2010, 09:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there,

My question is....

thanks

if it were mine I would go with a vf34 or vf35 and a set of 550cc or 650cc injectors.

then should see 320~340bhp.. the stnadard turbo on the WRX is only a TD04 which will only see 280bhp max give or take a little. . this is assumnig it is not an STi.

Simon