Notices

Is my car running hot?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2010, 06:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Is my car running hot?

And what temerature should the fan kick in?

Just finished replacing the radiator. I followed all the instructions and left it running, and waited and waited, but the fan never kicked in

The Defi water temperature gauge said 94 degrees. Oil temperature was similar.

been out in it twice since, again it reached 94-95 degrees, but no sign of the fan starting

Is this normal? Is there any way I can TEST the fan? Or whatever controls it?
It SMELLS hot too.....like something boiled over on a hob, the guy at the recycling place remarked on it too.

TIA
Old 23 June 2010, 06:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know whose instructions you've followed replacing the coolant but I wouldn't allow the engine to get really hot with the pressure cap off. Have you turned the heater control in the cabin fully up and otherwise ruled out any airlocks?

Standard ECU will start the fan if the coolant temperature exceeds 96 celsius, so if you're hitting 94-95, no, it isn't quite hot enough and thus the lack of fan is legitimately explicable.

You can test the fan (and control systems) by putting the ECU into test mode (connect green plugs, turn ignition on). You should see the fan cycling on and off every four seconds or so. If you don't start at the fuse, and then work forward (listen for the relays clicking) until you find the reason why it isn't working.

Correct running coolant temperature on these is around 85 celsius in current weather when the car's moving. It shouldn't exceed 97 under normal usage as the fan will immediately bring it back down. It it's running consistently higher than 90 then I would suspect something isn't quite right with your rad/coolant replacement. Is the header tank full brim full (when cold) and the system pressurising as it warms up?

Oil temperature in the mid 90's sounds normal though, and if there was anything seriously wrong with the coolant system, your oil temps will suffer as well. Ergo it doesn't sound like there's anything critically wrong.

Last edited by Splitpin; 23 June 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 23 June 2010, 06:55 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Did it sit and heat-soak ? Mine usually kicks in once sat still.

dunx
Old 23 June 2010, 06:59 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

my fan kicks in at 97deg monitored via the ECU on a PSi3 datamonitor. it rapidly drops once the fan is on. it's usual running temp is around 87deg.
Old 23 June 2010, 09:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies lads. It hasn't reached 97 yet, the gauge was sitting BELOW half way from 90 to 100.

Oil temperatures haven't been anything but normal and even when it DID get hot, as soon as the car was moving, the water temperature went back to 84/85.

I'l keep my eye on it.

It's running a LINK ecu, so I don't know if putting it into test mode will work?

I didn't let it get too hot with the pressure cap off, just enough for the thermostat to open and allow coolant to circulate. As soon as it did, I topped up and closed off. And yes, I've seen that it blows hot in the cabin.

Coolant is now full to the brim in the header tank and half way in the expansion chamber.
It will be re-checked tomorrow morning stone cold.
Old 23 June 2010, 10:55 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

when my top hose went last week i had the opposite, fans came on and would not go off, had to re blead the system as looked like no coolant when started again, fnas kick in early if stood still.
Old 23 June 2010, 11:04 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
It's running a LINK ecu, so I don't know if putting it into test mode will work?
FFS Jeff you of all people should know by now that it's important to post details of relevant mods up top.

I know very little about the Link ECU but would doubt it has a test mode in the same manner the OE ECU does. Similarly there's also no guarantee that its fan triggers are the same as the standard box.

However, if you have got a Link, have you got the hand commander for it? If so I wouldn't be too surprised to find that you can either alter the fan start/stop temps - making them trigger at a lower coolant temp, or possibly even find a direct manual "on"/test mode that will allow you to test it all out directly.

Sounds from what you're saying that things are running within normal parameters though.
Old 24 June 2010, 07:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Now't to do with the bloody great big 2.5 motor you've put in it then ?

LOL

dunx
Old 24 June 2010, 10:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Sorry splitpin, I forgot about posting mods. It won't happen again, I promise

I don't have a hand commander, no, but it's going to Darlington in July for it's final remap, so I'll ask Bob if he can verify they are/aren't working, and meanwhile, keep an eye on temperatures. I've still got to wait to go over 4000 rpm.

I never had this before I put that bloody Defi in, the OE gauge just was "in the middle" And still is

Could be the bigger motor, dunx, but I'd have thought it would trigger the fans?
Old 24 June 2010, 12:40 PM
eggy
Scooby Regular

hi mate, i also have the deffi,s fitted and mine reads high on them , but normal in the oe gauge. think i read here before that the deffi,s read that wee bit higher.
Old 24 June 2010, 01:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I think it's that the Defi is more accurate. I mean the OE gauge has cold W--A--R--M and hot, and no markings as to ACTUAL temeperature.

I'm not worried any more, but it's still making the cooking smell. Probably the anti-freeze that dribbled onto the turbo as I filled it, just a few ccs, but it will now be gassing. If it hasn't worn off in a few days, I might worry.........
Old 24 June 2010, 02:59 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Defi's are anything but accurate mate. Ask the weatherman, he'd have a closer guess at it than a defi would.

David
Old 24 June 2010, 03:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh NOW he tells me, now I have FIVE............
Old 24 June 2010, 05:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The ONLY two that matter are fuel and boost pressure, as you know....

LOL

dunx