Notices

Your assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2010, 09:23 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your assistance please

Basically i have an intermitant CEL light on, randomly on for 5 mins, 30 secs but gradually getting more freequent!

I have had a search around but can't get an answer as it says for upto 99 model connect the black connectors?, I am guessing its the knock sensor, but don't know how to read the fault codes on a V5 sti!?!

I have taken a snap of the connectors under the dash but confused if i need to connect any together to get a code, they are all connected already!! and cant find any green ones?

Also in the last pictures what is this? doesn't look standard?
Also will the light on/off damage the car i need to travel up north this weekend but wondering wether or not to use my other motor don't want to knacker it up.

cheers Phil

Old 22 June 2010, 09:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You're not quite looking in the right place for the black and green plugs - and unless your car's got an aftermarket ECU (or extensively hacked around electrics) they'll be hiding around somewhere.

You're looking at the steering column loom there. Peek a little bit further to the right, across to the thick tree of cables next to the fuse box (behind where the coin tray would be) and you should see them - possibly taped to the side of the loom. The black plugs have one wire each running into them, and the greens two each.

It looks from those pics like you've already got the lower cowl off so it shouldn't be too difficult to find them. Once you've located the black pair, connect them up, ignition on and tell us what the check engine light flash sequence says.

It's impossible for us to tell you whether you'll damage the car by continuing to drive it in its current condition. It's clear that the ECU is picking up an intermittent fault with something, but without knowing what's triggering the error state, it's impossible to speculate on the possible consequences of continuing to drive on it. In cases like this it's always better to be safe than sorry.

As for that other thing in the second photo, pass. Obvious possibility on an import would be a speedo converter. Where are those wires running to/from?

Last edited by Splitpin; 22 June 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 22 June 2010, 09:55 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Ok i give up there are no black connectors with a single wire on them?!?!?!?!?
see pics

Old 28 June 2010, 09:20 AM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Any one?
Old 28 June 2010, 11:40 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

They will be there. look for green plugs with 2 wires and black plugs with one. check all the plugs incase they have been connected by previous owner and not disconnected.

Where are you based.

Last edited by f4la k; 28 June 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 28 June 2010, 11:51 AM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Thanks mate, i'll have another look tonight!
Old 28 June 2010, 01:13 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Im down in dorset