Sponsored by:

INSURANCE - What we can & can't do!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 02:43 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Whilst I try to accommodate all enquiries with regard to Subaru (and any other insurance) enquiries, I am sorry that in most cases for Standard UK cars I am just NOT competetive.

This is mainly because my minimum premium (i.e. for a squeaky clean risk - no claims, over 30 years old, great postcode, low mileage, good security etc, etc, etc) is £800.00 - in addition to this I require either RAC Trackstar or Telematics eGuard installing.

As I have said in numerous threads....I set up a scheme for the Impreza P1...having obtained some great rates for myself...I then managed to get some comparable quotes for various members of the BBS...this then grew into a scheme that has been extended to the dealer network and presently has in excess of 170 P1's insured. In addition to these I have managed to assist (in most cases) in providing cover for all sorts of other vehicles...however this has been subject to the installation of a tracking system as mentioned above.

At no point have I ever suggested that I am a motor broker or that I can compete with the likes of Churchill, NFU and others on standard cars - unless the above is true.

In fact in almost all cases one of the first things I do is to stress the minimum premium, the requirements and that I am in fact a partner of a Commercial Insurance Brokerage etc etc.

Whatever the enquiry I would hope that I and my employees always offer advice and assistance - even where we are unlikely to be able to compete (this is obviously at no charge!! )

It has come to my attention that over the last week we have received quite a few enquiries for standard cars - whilst I do not have a problem with the enquiry, certain comments have come back to me that have hit a bit of a raw nerve...

...we have had one comment that we are "time wasters" - and that "we are cr@p motor brokers"...in addition to this the preson concerned (a member of the bbs!!!) suggested that we "were out of touch with the motor insurance market" and that "we were con merchants advertising that we knew Impreza's!..."

The person concerned shall remain anonymous...I would however have thought that maybe he should have carried out a proper search of the topic concerned B4 opening his big mouth...its a shame that when trying to offer such a personal service we then get slated by certain persons...

...I am effectively, the last chance to get a more competitive quote...i.e. if you are suffering with the renewal increases and want to discuss the case with me or one of my employees...please feel free to ring - we will offer impartial advice and give assistance...and if we feel that we can offer a quote that will hopefully be competitive, tell us what your BEST price is...at the end of the day most of you want to better the last premium that has been quoted...and the only way for me to do that is to know what the best price you have is and then I can try to beat it...I can assure you that I will try and slaughter the price....I am NOT out to just shave a small bit off it...I need to beat it by as much as possible...that way you will hopefully refer me to friends and colleagues...

I am sorry to rant on...but basically what I am saying is...

...if you want a quote and are prepared to accept the above requirements I will endeavour to get you the best possible deal that is available...you will then get excellent service from me and my staff...if you are not prepared to do the above, I am still more than happy to try and assist...and to certainly point you in the right direction....but I draw the line when my staff get upsetting comments that come back to me in the form of a verbal complaints...

Sorry to take up so much of your time...if you have read this far...

Its been a bad day and this just sort of rattled me..

Rum (Tom)

P.S. The ONLY advertising that we as a company have in place is 1 (one!!) advertising banner on the P1 Web Owners Club (http://www.p1woc.org.uk) site, kindly put together by the webmaster - FOC !!! We work on a recommendation basis only and we are snowed under with enquiries - we are Members of The Broker Network Ltd with premium income/turnover of in excess of £150,000,000!!! We must be doing something right ...I hope..

P.P.S. Thanks to all the support from all those who have taken out policies with us...

P.P.P.S. Thats all
Old 28 November 2000, 02:52 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rum,

now take a depp breath!

come on guys, give rum a break, hes always offering to help on anything related to insurance. It really helps to have people like him about when you want to know facts about insurance/claims/rights etc etc.

Its a tricky area (insurance), some people like to think it isnt, but it is, premiums often leave me bemused and I work in the industry

robski
Old 28 November 2000, 02:58 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Robski...*LMAO*...is that a Jonny Depp???
Old 28 November 2000, 03:00 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Tom,

You've had a bad day, haven't you?

Think of it this way - I don't have a P1 (or even an Impreza) and have no intention at all of getting one ..... but if I was, I would certainly use you, due to the enormous volume of positive comments I've seen. Recommendation is a powerful tool, as you've discovered.

You're right to say that you've bent over backwards (cue poor Viz-type joke) to point out that for standard UK Scoobs you're nowhere near the mark. But with around one fifth of all P1's (allowing for a large number of crashes) insured through your scheme, you're clearly not doing too bad a job.

Nick

PS Do you do house insurance?
Old 28 November 2000, 03:06 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick...*LMAO*.. ...yea we do home insurance, travel insurance, health insurance, cat and dog insurance ...but mainly commercial insurance....

If you would like a quote for household give us a call....if I'm not about speak to John Stringer (AKA Jerry Springer ) or Rich Thompson...as with my above post we will sort you out a top deal

All the best

Tom
Old 28 November 2000, 03:07 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I haven't been in touch with Tom yet (so it wasn't me ) as my policy is not due for renewal until June, but B4 June I will ring round seak prices, cover and advice then make a discision based on all the above, not just premium.

Nothing pi***s me off more than people who are abusive when you are trying your best to help them out.

Lee
Old 28 November 2000, 03:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Don't let the buggers get you down! I think every other post from you, whether insurance related or not, mentions that you'll not be great for standard UK scoobs...

Keep on smiling!
Old 28 November 2000, 03:42 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

chiark,

Thats what I thought...maybe I should post in brail...or with big florescent signs...or maybe a wav.doc ...its strange that if they have managed to find my number...and an advertising banner that doesn't exist (?? !!), that they haven't managed to read all the info, as you said (and I said) I have posted on numerous occasions that I openly admit to NOT being competative on cars other than P1's etc. Anyway, that in its self doesn't worry me...its when my staff get the brunt of someone elses stupidity and anger - that winds me up big time!!!

Oh well...c'est la vie I guess...

Rum

*taking chill pill and going for a smoke*
Old 28 November 2000, 03:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Someone's been abusive to your staff? Sheesh, there's some pillocks on here (state the bleedin' obvious). You've probably got their address, you know where they live <grin>

Enjoy the smoke.
Old 28 November 2000, 03:47 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with the other comments: great service and someone who _does_ know scoobs.

Had no trouble with Tom knowing exactly what mods an RB5 WR Sport PPP had AND I got a policy that beat the next best by over 200 quid with better cover too!

Probably be in touch soon for some track day cover.....
Old 28 November 2000, 03:54 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

My insurance was up for renewal about 2 months ago and I called Tom for a quote. Although he couldn't sell me a policy (27, UK Turbo) he was still polite, helpful and probably the only person I spoke to who knew what they were talking about.

Can't believe the attitude of some people when somebody tries to do them a favour!!

Tom I promise most people are incredibly grateful when you go out of your way to help them.
Old 28 November 2000, 04:50 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Joey,

*head swelling*

I know...as usual its the minority! and I guess we will always have a minority - maybe its not a bad thing just F**king annoying!

Just had a caffeine and nicotene intake so feeling a little better...

All the best

Tom
Old 28 November 2000, 04:55 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tom,

After speaking to you myself regarding P1 insurance I was pleasantly surprised at the quote and top class service you gave me and look forward to 'hopefully' doing business come the New Year!

'Ease-up' people, I wish all brokers were as enthusiastic and determined as Tom.

P.S Tom, does more P1's on the scheme mean reduced premiums?
Old 28 November 2000, 05:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

PaulMc: not at the rate at which people seem to be damaging them . (sorry, couldn't help myself)
Old 28 November 2000, 05:10 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul,

I wish it was that easy - it is however something that will be addressed at the aniversary of the scheme - numbers are good, but we have to look at claims as well - unfortunately there are presently 2 of us (me and someone that shall remain anonymous ) that have managed to have accidents... where it will be classed as our fault i.e. where the insurers are unable to recover their costs from a guily Third Party, so the insurers have had to pay out quite a bit of their wonga...at the anniverary we will obviously discuss these points and hopefully renew on the same basis or with some reduction...however as posted above the minimum premium levels will still apply...

Tom
Old 28 November 2000, 05:11 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

chiark...Git....just beat me to it!!!
Old 28 November 2000, 06:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Tom

If I had a P1 rather than a lowly Terzo, I'd gladly come running to book a policy, having read your contributions here over the last year. Sorry some **** spoiled your day, don't worry about it.

Meanwhile, as I know you give friendly and knowledgable advice, dare I ask again for the answer to that riddle of a few days ago? what is the difference in premium calculation btwn having to declare an accident come renewal time, but not claiming, and claiming but with PNCB?

All the best to you

BJH
Old 28 November 2000, 07:11 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Do you know what I do with the customers that moan? I simply send them free tickets to teh cinema or to a concert and pop a compliments slip in saying "Clearly you complete w****r, you need to get out more!"

That works. Makes em sit back and wonder just what it would be like offering a good or a service to the world and having to help everyone and anyone to keep people happy.

Rum, take a look around you. The person who offended you surely is a small fish in a big sea compared to all those P1s you have insured etc etc.

Kill em and eat em mate, at the end of the day I did not slaughter anyone that could'nt insure me. I simply accepted the fact that the co's I went to were not comeptitive on my particular car. That is beyond the logical world for some and this seems to be the case.

I hope the person that did this apologised and I wonder what they do for a living....

Always look on the bright side of life....la la la la la
Old 28 November 2000, 07:47 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

On the one or two occasions I have emailed Tom with a couple of queries he has always responded quickly and more importantly accurately. I don't own a P1 and I don't have a policy with Tom, but this made no difference. If all Insurance companies were like Tom - life would be a lot easier.

The individual who made the comments should really think long and hard before opening their mouth again. Comments such as those are potentially very damaging and at best misinformed.

The vast majority of people on this board appreciate what you do Tom. Don't let the b***tards get you down

Chris
Old 28 November 2000, 07:55 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've lost count of the number of times I've read you state that you are [basically] only competitive on P1's.

How much more idiot proof does that statement have to become before people understand?

Jeesssssss!

Don't let the buggers grind you down...

C

Old 28 November 2000, 08:48 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go on my son give it sum :
Tom you know my views on some of the folk on here.
Old 28 November 2000, 09:03 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Brenden,

I haven't forgotten ...no doubt in the next couple of days I will post the solution to your riddle...just not that easy putting in on screen...so once I have a decent wording/example I will post it

Tom
Old 29 November 2000, 08:07 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

I blame the degeneration of today's selfish society. Here is a guy trying to do his best, offering free and good advice even when he knows there's no business at the end of it, and people behave like this.

I have spoken to Tom and received excellent advice even though (due to my advancing years and occupation) I managed to get a lower premium elsewhere.

Many thanks Tom and keep up the good work. I'll be on the blower again next year.

XRS
Old 29 November 2000, 08:25 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Don't let the *******s get you down. In the dark, shark infested waters that is the contencious issue of insurance premiums, you were the brightest, and most helpful - even though you knew and admitted from the onset that you would be unable to be competitive for me!

Great advice, great personal service and honesty - you can give it no more!
Old 29 November 2000, 08:44 AM
richbay
Scooby Regular

RUM how are you on WRX insurance? is it worth a call too you???
cheers
Old 29 November 2000, 08:56 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Tom does not insure my P1 (he'll get a chance next year) but does insure other cars in the business inc VR6, S4 & 328.

He has always been polite & Very helpful on one case in particular.

There are some pr1cks out there!
Old 29 November 2000, 09:13 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I too have had help from Tom, at no cost and I wasn't even insured through him. He was polite and helpful and really sorted me out in my time of need (and could potentially save me a lot of money)

I can't believe anyone who has read his postings could have been confused over what he is and isn't competitive over

'I am not competitive on UK Scoobies' is surely pretty conclusive ?

Grr, you put yourself out for people and then become a target of hostility, how many times does this happen I wonder ?

Gary
Old 29 November 2000, 09:24 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the support guys ...Yesterday was not a good day!...

...Today is starting better

The person concerned knows who they are...he has not apologised...no problem...I just hope that in his time of need he knows how to grovel....not that I'm bitter or twisted

With regard to WRX cover...no worries...as I have said above above and before...if you are prepared to fit the Tracking and the premium is more that my minimum £800.00 then its worth me having a look.

The higher the renewal the more I have to play with as far as savings are concerned...I have saved quite a few people an aweful lot of money at renewal time...mainly when the initial premiums have been £1000.00 plus...if in doubt give us a call...

All the best

Tom
Old 29 November 2000, 10:00 AM
richbay
Scooby Regular

thanks Tom, i will give you a call, anyone know how much a tracker is fitted?
Old 29 November 2000, 10:05 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

richbay - give me a call and I can discuss the tracking at the same time...

0113 250 0377

Tom