Notices

Have to start somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2010, 06:04 AM
L33
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to start somewhere!

Hi everyone, I'm lee, I don't actually own a Subaru of any description at the moment, I actually have a 93 Toyota MR2 and a 01 astra coupe, but I am selling both in favour for a nice 'classic' shape WRX..

I am looking to build a solid reliable stage 1 impreza to be used as a daily driver.. I have owned couple of cars this way, a nice balance between powerand handling..
I'm hoping that people wi be able to advise me of some known aftermarket parts that are proven to show good gain in performance..
Illlet you know what I already have in mind, if anyone has any suggestions to which make of parts work well, I would be very appreciative.. I will be buying and fitting All the followingbefore putting the car on the road if it helps..

I'm setting myself a budget of around £3k to spend on buying the car to get a nice fairly standard example.. Maybe £2k to spend modifying before putting it on the road..I don't really know too much about imprezas, so I'm looking for some good advice that will ensure that 1. I have a better chance of getting a good example of one and 2. Using a select few parts be ableto build a good fast road impreza.. I enjoy "enthusiasic" driving :-) (don't read boy racing around city centre) so I'm not looking for sill scraping, big wheeled, subfilled 'pimped out' car that ****s itself when it encounters a speed bump or a pothole..

I'm planning on starting with a full service obviously..then this is what I have thought of already;
-lightweight alloys about 17x8/9 with Toyo t1r tyres
- full powerflex polybushes kit
-full Decat exhaust (make?)
-airfilter (make?)
-possibly bigger turbo depending on cost of one?
-ECU remap (any recommendations?)
-uprated clutch
-bigger ARBs*(make?)
-front and rear strut braces*(make?)
-updated discs and pads*(make?)
-braided brake lines
-uprated suspension
-short shift
- front recling bucket seats with harness, can't remember who makes them but the harnesses that plug into the rear seat buckles, so to keep car able to carry 4 adults if needed

If there's anything that anyone would add/not put on let me know, i've not started buying parts yet and I'm quite open minded :-)

Sorry for the essay but I want this car to be really well thought out, not just a mixture of random parts that don't work well together..*

Thanks in advance

Lee
Old 26 May 2010, 07:55 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wanting to pi$$ on your parate but 3K wont get you much of a car. a 15 - 16 year old wrx with a load of miles on it. the 260hp in the jap imports of that era will be fast enough for road use. you need to remember though to pick up one that has been weel looked after and has a full service history (something you dont always get with a jap import). A UK car might have better provenance but UK cars this age will only have 215hp and might not be "fast" enough for you.

£2k will also not get you much in the way of Mods either. Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but while it is possible to do things on a shoestring it is very hard.

E.G.

Alloys with tyres £750
Bigger turbo from £250
ECU (ESL Live) £250 up to simtec £1000. Then you need it mapped.
Uprated clutch £350 if fiiting yourself
Uprated brakes £250 if fitting yourself
Uprated suspension (springs £150) full coilover £1000 if fitting yourself
Racing seats £250 each

As you can see, it's an expensive car to modify properly. This is not even touching the engine which will not be forged and may have upwards of 100K miles on it. cars like these have not usually had an easy life sorry to say (being a boy racers wetdream) but it is possible to find a low milage unmolested example if you look hard enough and are prepared to wait.

Again, dude I am sorry to bring a few home truths to you but better you know now than later.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:44 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u will prob be able to pick up most of the stuff u require 2nd hand on here or on other forums etc to help keep the costs down

but as above if goin for new u will find the funds wont stretch far.

its also hard to price brakes etc depends on what yr u get as most classics have 2pots and its better to upgrade to 4pots but i think 97/98 onwards had 4pots as standard.

there are a few classics on various forums for around ure money but as most are modified
u might find the car will cost more so leave u less on upgrades as the car might already have things done to it that u were planning,

best bet is to look in the forums at the car sales and will give u a better idea as what u can/cannot get within ure money ,

best of luck in ure search mate