Notices

a46-00

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2010, 08:20 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a46-00

Jusyt pulled one of my injectors out and it looks brand new, really clean and it says on it subaru and on the side it says a46-00, Im looking at my injectors because my oil keeps filing up with fuel and im trying to find out why, dose anybody know what a46-00 means and if it is the correct injector for a 93 reg import impretza wrx. I have looked everywhere but cant find anything, Any ideas would be appriciated, My oil was brand new in at 11am and by 5 pm it stank of petrol again and was freely dripping of my dipstick????
Old 21 May 2010, 09:02 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

What colour is the tops of your injectors? That's usually a good guide to the flow size, which would tell you if they're over-fuelling your engine. By the sounds of it they are, so you'd need to either go back to standard ones, or get a remap.

Common colours are grey, yellow and pink.
Old 21 May 2010, 09:20 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8 The top of the injector is grey almost a rubbery matterial?
Old 22 May 2010, 12:54 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Grey top would normally mean 380cc injectors which is the standard size for your car, so the problem must be something else. You'll need to post up some more info about the car for anyone to make an educated guess what it might be: is it modified, has it been running rough or had very high fuel consumption, how long have you had it, and so on.
Old 22 May 2010, 08:29 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Either an injector is getting stuck open, or an o ring has failed, and fuel is leaking past.

pulling the spark plugs, disconnecting the crank sensor, and spinning the engine over should identify which cylinder is getting filled with fuel.

Then you'll have to see if it's the o ring, or injector.

Mark.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:40 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Cheers lateral, i will do that but how will i know which cylinder is filling up, Might be an obviouse answer but im not sure.
Old 23 May 2010, 09:37 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

You should see when you spin the engine over, as fuel will come out the offending spark plug hole.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:30 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

cool, thats great thanks very much, i will do it soon as, next couple of days. For others my car is a 93 import wrx, Its had a full decat, Big stainless steel induction which is coming off, Alloy headder, I think thats about it, But last night i checked my oil again and now it seems my oil is disapper disappearing, now it is very low, and iv found over the last few days that the back of my car is coverd in this very rought black coating, I think somehow my oil is coming out of my exhaust, being burnt or something, anybody know what this could be or is this to be exspected when your oil is being contaminated by fuel, Is my fuelk being contaminated by my oil aswell, Iv got no leaks on my drive so it must be being burnt and coming out the exhaust????
Old 24 May 2010, 02:33 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't be driving it around until you sort it out. It may cost you your engine, or if it's drinking oil, it may already have done.
Old 24 May 2010, 03:38 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

im an idiot, Someone just told me you should check your oil when engine is settled, just checked it now and its full, so i dont know what it is all over my car?? I will do all that tonight and come back tomoz.

Ta
Old 25 May 2010, 11:20 AM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

Right did all that last night, Nothing happend at all, No oil came out of the spark plug holes, What dose this mean, Dose it mean that my injectors are deffinatlly not sticking open and my o rings on the injectors are diffinatlly not perishid, dose this mean that my piston rings are melted and that is the only thing it could be or could it be other things still, Seriously considering what to do here, I dont wanna give up on it , is it possible to be simply over fueling because of the second hand fuel regulator that sc fitted, or other reasons? im prepared to take it of the road and stick a new engine in, there is one on ebay now 30000 miles fresh import but i dont wanna do that if its something simple, What could it be, and also, im in manchester and am really struggling to find someone who can fix my car where would you go if u had a problem that others have stuglled to locate. I rekon i could do the engine change myself and would do if i KNEW it was something internal, is it possible to find out if my piston rings are deffinatly melted???
Old 26 May 2010, 09:35 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

boost
I think you might be getting o-rings mixed up with piston rings here. Unless I'm very much mistaken, when t'other Mark mentioned a leaking o-ring as a possible cause of the problem, he was referring to the little rubber seals that go around the injectors, not piston rings. Bearing in mind your own comment about the injectors looking unusually clean, that seems like the most plausible scenario to me - your car's previous owner probably fitted new or refurbed injectors, and either didn't use new o-rings or damaged one when fitting the injectors back on.

Anyhow, getting back to fixing the problem, if you can't actually see fuel coming out of any of the pistons, what about just sticking one end of plastic pipe over the spark-plug hole and the other end to your nose and seeing if one of them smells more obviously of petrol than the other three? Failing that, an exchange set of flow-matched injectors with new o-rings shouldn't set you back more than £100-ish, which is obviously a lot less than a new engine.

Edit:
I could be wrong, but I would have thought also that the plug on the cylinder that was getting excess fuel might look a fair bit different than the other three.

Last edited by markjmd; 26 May 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 27 May 2010, 04:01 PM
boost2010
Scooby Regular

yes i thought that and when i pulled the plugs they were all very clean and the same. i was gonna just put a new engine in £700 diy, but found a guy called chy at subaru leeds who seems really good, im booked in thurs he dosnt think it will be internal or there would be far more serious symptoms such as black smoke amongst other things, when i get there were goin out in the car with his wideband stuff conected and let me show him when its right and when its wrong, then leavin it there. This is the last chance for the car if it dose not get fixed this time im getting rid and getting a corrado vr6, i hope it dose though iv wanted a subaru for years dispite the stereotype i love it but you gotta end it somewhere