Notices

WRC induction system

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2010, 10:01 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default WRC induction system

Was reading through a mag and saw the Subaru WRC induction system, basically it replaces the TMIC, which looks VERY cool!!! Any done a conversion like this on a road car?

ignore the red circle, just a pic I "borrowed"

Last edited by grahamc; 16 May 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can spend 100k on an engine then its worth the effort, most people cant afford a 600k grp A WRC car though so as they run about 320bhp but silly ammounts of torque, we just stick with the standard road setup

Tony
Old 16 May 2010, 10:11 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you can spend 100k on an engine then its worth the effort, most people cant afford a 600k grp A WRC car though so as they run about 320bhp but silly ammounts of torque, we just stick with the standard road setup

Tony
I get that they spend silly money on the engines, car, gearbox, etc.

But I am considering doing a fair bit of work on my cars engine and since the turbo, intercooler and induction systems are all changing - was just wondering if it had been done on a road car.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the grp N cars stick with a pretty standard system, even when spending alot of cash you cannot beat the standard air duct or if you go over 400bhp, a cold air induction kit in the wing.

Tony
Old 16 May 2010, 10:35 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Well the grp N cars stick with a pretty standard system, even when spending alot of cash you cannot beat the standard air duct or if you go over 400bhp, a cold air induction kit in the wing.

Tony
Yeah, I figured the induction kit in the wing would be the way to go, but figured if it had been done, it would be cool to go for.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:38 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamc
But I am considering doing a fair bit of work on my cars engine and since the turbo, intercooler and induction systems are all changing - was just wondering if it had been done on a road car.
I'm not sure exactly what your question is here, what exactly do you mean by "it"? If you're asking about the induction and airfilter arrangement on those
pics you've posted, it makes sense to do it that way due to the turbo being laid back at a very extreme angle that can't be replicated on a roadcar turbos, so the opportunity to replicate it is limited whether with a standard position or rotated unit.

Under these circumstances you'd be better off running the induction in the normal position in the offside wing/flitch area - which is, in fact, where most Impreza WRCs (bar the S6 and S12b) have it.

Yeah, I figured the induction kit in the wing would be the way to go, but figured if it had been done, it would be cool to go for.
From a technical point of view, there's no such thing as "cool". It's been done on that car because it works in that application. If you're building a roadcar, the same considerations and constraints do not apply.

Last edited by Splitpin; 16 May 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 16 May 2010, 10:48 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I'm not sure exactly what your question is here, what exactly do you mean by "it"? If you're asking about the induction and airfilter arrangement on those
pics you've posted, it makes sense to do it that way due to the turbo being laid back at a very extreme angle that can't be replicated on a roadcar turbos, so the opportunity to replicate it is limited whether with a standard position or rotated unit.

Under these circumstances you'd be better off running the induction in the normal position in the offside wing/flitch area - which is, in fact, where most Impreza WRCs (bar the S6 and S12b) have it.

From a technical point of view, there's no such thing as "cool". It's been done on that car because it works in that application. If you're building a roadcar, the same considerations and constraints do not apply.
Yes, I get that its been done for a specific application, rallying... the question is, "has it (the cold air induction system) been done on a road car". If it had been done, I would prefer to use this setup on my car instead of the generic "filter in the wing" option.
Old 16 May 2010, 11:07 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

the question is, "has it (the cold air induction system) been done on a road car".
Unless someone pops up to say otherwise, I'd say probably not. As above the repositioned turbo on the WRC cars is the key to making that "filter in bonnet scoop" arrangement work. With the turbo in its normal or rotated position you would end up with a very inefficient (if not impossibly) tight right-angle bend immediately prior to the compressor intake.
Old 16 May 2010, 11:22 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd have to have a special uppipe and downpipe made to run a turbo like that. Not impossible but bloody expensive and all the other mods to compliement the whole thing. Might actually be cheaper in the end to buy an old ex-works car

Limited to c.300bhp, no MAF sensor and full working ALS, all run on the std ECU. Awesome!!
Old 16 May 2010, 11:25 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Unless someone pops up to say otherwise, I'd say probably not. As above the repositioned turbo on the WRC cars is the key to making that "filter in bonnet scoop" arrangement work. With the turbo in its normal or rotated position you would end up with a very inefficient (if not impossibly) tight right-angle bend immediately prior to the compressor intake.
now thats pretty much the answer I was looking for. I did not realise the turbo was in such a different position.

thanks
Old 16 May 2010, 11:48 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
You'd have to have a special uppipe and downpipe made to run a turbo like that. Not impossible but bloody expensive
A lot more expensive than that, as you'd also need a turbo with a lubrication system capable of working properly in that canted back position. Regular gravity return turbo oil systems only work properly when the shaft is horizontal (or within a couple of degrees of it).

Again WRC runs the laid back turbo orientation because it has advantages re. exhaust manifold design and packaging, and, most significantly, centre of gravity. When you're competing in that arena the gains represent time on stage and are worth the cost. However, in a roadcar application it just doesn't justify the expense to try and replicate it.