Notices

Just had remap and few upgrades!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2010, 08:31 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had remap and few upgrades!! Help

Just had a few upgrades to my98 uk Impreza vf43,modified api injectors,fmic,pump,fpr etc and mapped by bob and now I have I think piston slap?

It can be heard best at around 3grand sounds like a deisal engine.car drives ok far but think somethings seriously not right.

Oil pressure is at 30 when warm as normal and no oil loss.engine temp is half way.

can somebody help my car paranoia please!
Old 20 April 2010, 09:11 AM
biggi
Scooby Regular

Did it start right after the remap, if so I would get it checked, just to makesure everything is ok on the mapping side.
Old 20 April 2010, 09:48 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

is it when it is just cold or when the car and oil has warmed up as well
Old 20 April 2010, 09:53 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Yeh it was never there before I've emailed bob and tried to contact api as they did the work but had no reply. Just my luck
Old 20 April 2010, 09:56 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Seems to be when warm?
Old 20 April 2010, 11:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ring API, David is as honest as the day's long and even more helpful. If you have a problem, he will help you.
Old 20 April 2010, 11:39 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

I've rang him bout fourteen times left msgs to return my call nothing.
Old 20 April 2010, 03:55 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here now, we'll listen to it on Saturday and confirm what the noise is. If it is piston slap hen no real problem it's just a noise. Once it starts to consume oil it'll be a problem until then it's just a noise.....

Can't even visit the doctor these days without the world falling apart. LOL

David
Old 20 April 2010, 04:49 PM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Never heard of two day docters appoitments David lol sort my engine out it wernt like this before!

Another 100mile trip on a Saturday then...I must be the most unlucky api customer of all time lol

You sure it's safe to drive down I could post a video if you like?
Old 20 April 2010, 05:11 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

I cannot be sure of anything until we see/ hear it. Diagnosing engine and transmission sounds down a phone or any other remote way, is a step too far for my low grade crystal ball......

Just drive carefully no boost and keep an eye on gauges and temps and oil consumption It won't come to much harm.

David
Old 20 April 2010, 06:24 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be a bit cautious about driving it if it sounds like a diesel at 3krpm out of the blue (and it didn't slap before)

Can't you get anyone closer to have a look before driving 100 miles with a noise like that? If it's something more detremental to the engine (like the bottom end) you could a) get stranded b) destroy the engine completely c) both!
Old 20 April 2010, 06:30 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally if it was me, i'd trailor it
Old 20 April 2010, 06:36 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

The joys of modifying!! Sometimes we all have to ask is it worth while for a bit more power. Hope you get it sorted
Old 20 April 2010, 10:26 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what power did you make with those mods? 340 bhp ?
Old 20 April 2010, 11:22 PM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

im not sure of the power ....it had a ppp pack on with a few mods running a very healthy 260bhp and was very well looked after on 50,000 on the engine.

feels about the same in low boost mode high boost mode has got a bit more power than before but ive not really tested it fully yet do to this piston slap type noise.

you would have to ask bob what power its running but not a mega difference as of yet.

heres a link to a video of the noise its now making???? for those who are in the kno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09TeQlS5lo
Old 20 April 2010, 11:27 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fingers crossed for an exhaust gasket under load.
Old 20 April 2010, 11:44 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Personally I would trailor that, and stop revving it! You get it mapped on the road or rolling road?
Old 21 April 2010, 12:10 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2.5STI
Never heard of two day docters appoitments David lol sort my engine out it wernt like this before!

Another 100mile trip on a Saturday then...I must be the most unlucky api customer of all time lol

You sure it's safe to drive down I could post a video if you like?

Thats a bit harsh...

You've mapped and modifyed a engine not built by API.

Sound like big end or within a head. Either way i can clarify here and now its nothing got to do with mapping.
A mapper can only map wats put in front of them and with experience of bob thats that end sorted..

Regards API i assume aided in mods/parts aspect and from your list above your well well with engine capibilities using vf43..

Bus as stated by yourself its a 50k engine. Maybe original so 12 years old.

To go around as you are blaming wasn;t there before stuff heard it lots times before.

Looking someone to blame imo. See it over over. someone wanting to buy/own impreza then modify to limit and not expecting any issues on a 12 yr old block.
Old 21 April 2010, 08:06 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

The car was mapped on the road.

I'm not blaming anybody but it's not right is it so Im asking apinions as it wasn't there before I'm running less boost that before in the economy map.

I'm know the basics but I'm not a mechanic...I don't know what to expect it's all new to me and it's my right to be worried as it's my pride and joy.

like when we were mapping and pulled out the garage the car was like a steam train pouring out smoke from the exhaust I was crapping myself but apprently that's fine? Or when it was shaking during the mapping and I thought that was my wheel balance.

Just want to make sure everything fine as I've not had the best of luck on my way home an intercooler hose blew off for crying out loud and when I got back home and went to get my old 440cc injectors out the ex parts box to sell on they were cracked and damaged.

Positive posts only don't jump on your high horse when you don't know the full story.
Old 21 April 2010, 08:16 AM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Smoke may well be overfuelling, which wouldnt be uncommon.

Just a thought- you checked that the FMIC pipes arent rubbing, especially around the cam belt cover? Mine were at first and gave some very funny noises- worth checking.

I have mine pulled away from the cover and held by big **** cable ties!
Old 21 April 2010, 08:55 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Yeh check the pipes not touching or anything loose it's defo coming from the engine. Seems to come more noticable when warm.

I've got a fpr with guage and fuel pressure sits under 3..
Old 21 April 2010, 09:40 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

That noise is either a failed big end or a cracked piston - the sound is distorted by the recording. Either way it is an engine failure of some sort. Best to turn it off.

David APi
Old 21 April 2010, 10:33 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Oh dear...

so won't be driving down on Saturday then dave? What will be the effects of driving it? I've drove to work today it seems fine doesn't make the noise when cold?
Old 21 April 2010, 10:52 AM
New_scooby_04

Oh dear...

so won't be driving down on Saturday then dave? What will be the effects of driving it? I've drove to work today it seems fine doesn't make the noise when cold?
If your engine is in the first stages of failing, you'll make it worse and up a with a bigger bill for repairing it by driving it!

Get it tailored to APi.

I feel for you mate, but unfortunately these things do happen when getting significantly more power out of a 12 year old car. I can personally vouch for the work of David and Bob (they've done my car and many, many, many others without incident). It won't be the quality of the workmanship that's at fault. The likely scenario is that your engine was past its best and the power hike just significantly accelerated the decline (with the turbo, FMIC etc you must have been gunning for 330ish)

It sucks, but David is an honest guy and will do what he can to help you out!

Good luck
Ns04
Old 21 April 2010, 11:54 AM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

I got the general idea that these mods would be fine as in many other cases i've researched and been advice I've been given I thought it wud be.

I thought that it would last more than a day as it's running less boost than before.

I expected it to go someday and plan to stick with it as I've spent thousands onit at api with six speed and other upgrades it seems silly to stop now.

Really gutted as I've always treated my car with alot of care.

Looks like I will be exploring the options of a forged rebuild down the stroker route? David if you could give me a call to discuss my options that would be good.

man this is a bad dayyyy
Old 21 April 2010, 12:14 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Wednesday pm is mapping afternoon Mark. l'll call tomorrow as l am about to get started.

David
Old 21 April 2010, 12:23 PM
New_scooby_04

I got the general idea that these mods would be fine as in many other cases i've researched and been advice I've been given I thought it wud be.

I thought that it would last more than a day as it's running less boost than before.

I expected it to go someday and plan to stick with it as I've spent thousands onit at api with six speed and other upgrades it seems silly to stop now.

Really gutted as I've always treated my car with alot of care.

Looks like I will be exploring the options of a forged rebuild down the stroker route? David if you could give me a call to discuss my options that would be good.

man this is a bad dayyyy
At times like this, it pays to adopt the attitude displayed by an early amusement park owner who went to work one morning only to find that his park has burned down!

He put the following notice up on the park gates (about the only thing that survived the fire)

"Today has been a worse day than yesterday. Tomorrow will be a better day than today. Funland will re-open. Tickets to see the burned ruins, 1$ per person!"

Old 21 April 2010, 01:13 PM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

David that's fine speak to you tomorow going to be a long chat!

all good fun except for th costs involved... Any1 who has had the same happen that could give advice would be apprciated!
Old 21 April 2010, 01:17 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutted for ya mate....my engine was rattling similar to yours last year and everything was pointing to a bottom end failure . For what its worth three individual RAC men said it was a bottom end........... I was gutted to say least

Off she went to David's on a flat bed..... ready for that forged rebuilt, a few days later got a call from David only to be advised it wasnt my bottom end! ...............but my bl00dy 2nd gear !

Its going to a good place........ your safe with API , keep us posted.....fingers crossed she comes back soon.
Old 21 April 2010, 01:59 PM
2.5STI
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments guys it's made me feel alot better!

gona trust in api to sort me out if at the right price and take it from there.

I'll keep you all updated on the outcome.

Quick Reply: Just had remap and few upgrades!! Help