wont start

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2010, 01:28 AM
finnigan5823
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

this one has really got my head done in,

on 1st turn over it will try and go, for around 2 seconds, and then thats it, it will just turn and not fire at all, if i remove the spark plugs and clear the cylinders ov petrol it will do the same again= try to go for a second or 2 and thats it, av already changed the following items for ones i no deffo work=

injectors
water temp sensor
idle control valve
map sensor
maf sensor
spark plugs
crank sensor
cam sensor
fuel pressure reg

wiring harness (one under inlet manifold, what connects to injectors etc etc)

checked the fuel pressure today and its a steady 3 bar on priming pump,and the timng marks are all spot on.

if i unplug injectors it trys to go= split burst ov trying to fire?
but once all the fuel gone in the cylinders,
i plug injectors back in and it will do the same try to go for about 2 seconds?????
anyone??
Old 18 April 2010, 02:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooooooo.....
Think we need a bit more information
Did this just start doing this?
Had you carried out any work or modifications before this started?
Have you checked the battery or replaced it lately?
Does your car come with the standard Sigma alarm system (or in another word is your car a proper uk car and not an import)?
Have you tried the immobiliser override (assuming its the sigma alarm that is fitted).

And finally, an auto electrician would have cost you alot less than all the above sensors

Tony
Old 18 April 2010, 03:16 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As Tony has already pointed out, we need much more info here; trying to guess the right answer on the basis of what we know is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack when you're blind, deaf, and allergic to hay.

Knowing what sort of car and what model year it is would be a good start.

Finnigan, you say your car runs for a couple of seconds, and then dies. On the assumption this is a UK market car, immediately after the engine dies, do you see the immobiliser LED and/or check engine light flashing?

Have you tried the black plugs to put the ECU in read memory mode?
Old 18 April 2010, 10:17 AM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

I have a very similar problem mate. But was after i rebuilt it!symptoms are spot on though. I have a 96 import! Does the import have these black plugs splitpin?
Old 18 April 2010, 12:21 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

take one of the injectors out and see if there pumping fuel out when you are turning the engine over.
adam
Old 18 April 2010, 01:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Fieldy, yes, the black plugs will be on your car, and will work assuming it has a standard Subaru ECU, so worth giving this a try.

Adam: What exactly do you mean by "take one of the injectors out"? Unless I've misread it this sounds a spectacularly silly piece of "advice".

If you physically remove one from the rail and try to turn the engine over, the result will be fuel p*ssing everywhere from the open well, assuming the fuel pump is still working, and, as a result, almost no fuel going into the remaining three. Other than covering the engine bay in fuel I'm not exactly sure what this idea's supposed to achieve?
Old 18 April 2010, 02:09 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Splitpin;9351705]Fieldy, yes, the black plugs will be on your car, and will work assuming it has a standard Subaru ECU, so worth giving this a try.

Adam: What exactly do you mean by "take one of the injectors out"? Unless I've misread it this sounds a spectacularly silly piece of "advice".

dont be a p*ick if he has any brains he will do it into a tub. and the point is to find out if the ecu is cutting the fuel + immobiliser or something else stopping the fuel from coming out.

adam

Last edited by oadamo; 18 April 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 18 April 2010, 05:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam, with that bit of advice there is no point calling splitpin names as the only one looking like a p*ick would be you

Tony
Old 18 April 2010, 05:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Adam, do you really want your nose rubbed in it or are you going to quit before being made to look a complete prat?

How on earth is he "going to do it into a tub"? He's not holding his ****!

Finn has already told us that the pump is, at least priming, so if he were to try your idea, the moment he turns the ignition on, (let alone attempts to start), the pump will prime for two seconds, shooting fuel out of the well the injector has just been removed from - some dropping uncontrolled into the inlet valve wells and trying to flood the cylinder concerned, and the rest spraying liberally up toward the bonnet and around the engine bay.

If he were then to switch the starter motor on, as well as the fuel pump switching back on and spraying more petrol everywhere you'd have the starter solenoid, motor, coilpacks and various other electrical items doing stuff, not to mention a cylinder that is potentially fluid locked.

Meanwhile, there's no point holding the removed injector into "a tub" as, outside the rail, there's no fuel going into it anyway.

So, who's the pr*ck here?
Old 18 April 2010, 07:40 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Adam, do you really want your nose rubbed in it or are you going to quit before being made to look a complete prat?

How on earth is he "going to do it into a tub"? He's not holding his ****!

Finn has already told us that the pump is, at least priming, so if he were to try your idea, the moment he turns the ignition on, (let alone attempts to start), the pump will prime for two seconds, shooting fuel out of the well the injector has just been removed from - some dropping uncontrolled into the inlet valve wells and trying to flood the cylinder concerned, and the rest spraying liberally up toward the bonnet and around the engine bay.

If he were then to switch the starter motor on, as well as the fuel pump switching back on and spraying more petrol everywhere you'd have the starter solenoid, motor, coilpacks and various other electrical items doing stuff, not to mention a cylinder that is potentially fluid locked.

Meanwhile, there's no point holding the removed injector into "a tub" as, outside the rail, there's no fuel going into it anyway.

So, who's the pr*ck here?
ive had cars in my garage with the same problem i was trying to elimitante a few things but you must no whats wrong so carry on.
adam
Old 18 April 2010, 08:24 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You were "trying to elimitante <sic> things" in an inept and irresponsible way.

If you've tried that on "cars in your garage", could you stick a webcam on the opposite wall and link it to YouTube so we can all watch when it goes wrong?
Old 18 April 2010, 08:39 PM
oadamo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
You were "trying to elimitante <sic> things" in an inept and irresponsible way.

If you've tried that on "cars in your garage", could you stick a webcam on the opposite wall and link it to YouTube so we can all watch when it goes wrong?

for a diy guy you are not going to have the kit to test it so you have to make do. anyway i have better things to do see ya.
adam