Notices

What a nightmare, removed my rear bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2010, 12:48 AM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a nightmare, removed my rear bumper...

So i decided due to the number plate bulb cover screws being f*cked and wanting the side skirts colour coded that i would take my rear bumper off.

I decided to go down the route of unbolting the impact bar as i didn't want to remove the rear lights and it didn't really make sense to me as there are some clips you can't get to, or i didn't know how to, i'm pretty sure you can only do it the impact bar way unless you break bits.

So i was already slightly worried as i heard the nuts that hold the impact bar bolts in aren't actually that secure on the sub frame, add 10 years of rust to this and that can mean the nuts disconnect from the sub frame causing the nuts and bolts just to spin around and you're fudged, it then becomes a horrible problem. Lucky for me this bit went okay and i got the bumper off.

What didn't go so well was all the other rusted bolts and nuts that i soon found when removing the impact bar from the bumper, plus most of the other nuts and bolts. Unreal, it's taking me 2 days because of cutting and drilling bolts. And i though it would be a quick task!

To add to it all, seems if my car has previously been in a rear end situation and the impact bar is bent a lil and a bit rusty, and the body where the bumper sits is slightly dented, but not to bad to worry me or make the bumper sit funny. Bumpers been resprayed too.

So yeah just thought i would tell you about my fun few days, now to DIY it back together .

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 18 April 2010, 01:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Classic?
Old 18 April 2010, 06:38 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Yeah, still love it though ha. Nice to know if i need it off again it will all come off nicely.

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 19 April 2010, 12:43 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

had the same problem mate easy though to remove rear light, with a screxdriver gently prize light away from body they come off to expose the bumper plastic screws undo and the bumper slides off getting my resprayed leaving on the lower trims aswell.
Old 19 April 2010, 09:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't understand the need to remove rear lights: six bolts along the chassis members, a few clips and the whole thing slides off.
Old 19 April 2010, 09:49 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can't understand the need to remove rear lights: six bolts along the chassis members, a few clips and the whole thing slides off.
Not when the captive nuts break off and spin round.
Old 19 April 2010, 05:50 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny_693
Not when the captive nuts break off and spin round.
Isn't there 2 captive nuts still to remove with this method though? Such a bad design in my view.

Last edited by Saalro; 05 October 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 19 April 2010, 06:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't remove the lights

Undo various underclips to free bumper edges, pop bumper bar, job done ! Don't forget the plate light fixing

Easy job, well should be
Old 10 November 2010, 06:30 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

I have just had a rear end shunt in my Classic saloon and needed to remove the rear bumper. I followed 53WRX's very helpful guide to getting the bumper off, complete with the metal impact bar.

I had no problems with the job, and in fact it went more easily than I expected. However in case it helps anyone else I would just add:-

* I was concerned that I might have trouble undoing the 6 large bolts holding the metalwork to the car's chassis rails, given that it's 10 years old and that rust might have taken hold. However they came off easily, and I had no trouble with the captive nuts.

* I was confused for a while because I undid 3 large bolts on the nearside of the car but still couldn't pull off the bumper. I then realised that there are in fact 4 large bolts, but only the rearmost 3 of these secure the bumper assembly (see 53WRX's first pic). I hadn't undone the rearmost bolt, as from where I was lying it was hidden behind the exhaust mounting!

* I couldn't undo the plastic fixings between the front top corner of the bumper and the rear of the wheel arch on each side. I couldn't get a grip on the top fixing nut (if it is a nut, it may just be a push-fitting), and the plastic screw head soon got mangled. In the end I pulled the bumper down as far as possible and was able to slip a hacksaw blade in the gap and cut through the fixings without damaging the bumper or the bodywork. I used a cable tie to replace the original plastic screw & nut when rebuilding.

* there is a stay which runs from the middle of the bottom of the rear valance to the middle of the bumper. There is a single screw fixing half way along this bracket but it's plastic and hard to separate, so I just undid both the metal nut & bolt fixings at the bottom of the bracket

* the wires to the rear number plate bulbs run behind the trim panel under the boot opening and through the valence to the light fittings. Remove the trim panel by releasing the plastic clips, and then you will see white plug connectors, one for each bulb. Just undo the connectors, and the plugs will pull through the holes in the rear valence to release the wiring.

The whole bumper assembly then just slides off the car, and it is then easy to reach the plastic clips along the top of the bumper, which hold the plastic to the metal impact bar.

I hope this helps.

Pete