Notices

Few things, suspension, wheels buckled etc

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2010, 05:15 PM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few things, suspension, wheels buckled etc

Hi, I have just had my car in a garage as I have been having a bit of judder on the steering wheel ever since I bought the car a couple of months ago. The car is a 2003 STi.

The garage have had a look and they say I have 2 buckled wheels which makes sense as the previous owner was honest and did say he had hit a kerb when it was frosty earlier in the year. Also, the wheels have damage which backs this up.

My first question is- Can these be straightened out? I am desperate to get them straightened as they are genuine PPF7 wheels which are worth quite a bit?

The second thing it went in for was a knock on the back end. They had it on the ramp and I had a look whilst I was there too. You will have to excuse me if I don't make sense with this next bit as I have a very limited mechanical knowledge. The car has whiteline anti roll bar and drop links (I think!). The drop links appear to be hitting the anti roll bar. They almost look too thick so every time they go upwards they are hitting the anti roll bar and this is causing a clonking sound on the rear end. Can I just fit standard drop links to get round this or is there some kind of mod that can be done to the whiteline ones?

Thank you!

Andrew
Old 07 April 2010, 06:09 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Photo !

Please

dunx

P.S. Wheels are scrap.
Old 07 April 2010, 06:13 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

When is this juddering? driving? what speed? does it disappear at certain speeds? Braking?
Old 07 April 2010, 06:21 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Alloys can be straightened, especially quality one's like the PFF7's. There is a place in Manchester that does it as I have took mine there in the past. price is around £40 per alloy.

Droplinks hitting the anti roll bar???? Are you sure you have identified the correct parts here? The droplinks are connected to the anti roll at one end and connected to a tie bar at the other.
Old 08 April 2010, 01:56 PM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have taken a picture to show the offending parts. The arrow points to the bit that I thought was a drop link. The circled bit is where its rubbing.

Thanks
Old 09 April 2010, 06:56 AM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 09 April 2010, 09:44 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

It looks like the ARB has wondered left a little bit and also looks like quite a bit of surface rust. I would undo the two bolts remove give it a quick clean and grease and put it back. I can't remember from mine what stops it floating left and right but by removing and regreasing you should find it sits more in the center and doesn't rub one of the drop links.
Old 09 April 2010, 09:46 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Having said that.. I think your drop links are on the wrong side of the ARB. Take a look at this photo. http://media.photobucket.com/image/i...rdroplinks.jpg

I honestly can't remember what a normal one looks like now and can't go and have a look right now.