Brand new Exedy Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2010, 10:25 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brand new Exedy Clutch Slipping

Hello guys,

As some of you will know I ripped 2nd gear off the gearbox under normal conditions last week, so after sourcing advice on here it was replaced along with a new clutch two days ago.

The garage (not to be named) had a low mileage gearbox in from a car they were breaking (I know of the car), so this was the donor and I bought a genuine exedy clutch kit from a supplier. On removing the box the flywheel had noticable wear and cracks in it, so this was replaced with am exedy lightweight flywheel. The car was put back together and it seemed ok on a gentle ride around the surrounding area. I shelled out the cash and off I popped home. I was advised to take it easy with no launching etc. Im a mature driver so this isnt a problem for me, however on the motorway on the way home in 3rd, 4th and 5th the clutch was slipping very noticably. I pulled in to the next service station and rang the garage. They said the clutch should not be lsipping, but then said not to worry as its still bedding in..
The clucth does seem to be quite high, higher than i would expect on a new kit, Is there an adjuster on the Scooby's?

Ive only had around half a dozen clutches replaced on all my motors in my drive life, and have never experienced clutch slip on a new clucth kit hence the reason for this thread.

Any help would be helpfull thanks Rob

Thread I hijacked:
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...questions.html
Old 03 April 2010, 10:31 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe needs bleeding correctly. my exedy one didnt slip when it was new. not once. and you did right by putting in a new fly wheel.

get it bled again and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03 April 2010, 10:39 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
maybe needs bleeding correctly. my exedy one didnt slip when it was new. not once. and you did right by putting in a new fly wheel.

get it bled again and see if that makes a difference.
As the garage is 60 miles away I limped the car on and hung around whilst the work was carried out. I didnt notice the clutch being bled a all.

I so all the work carried out: all prep for the gearbox remova (intercooler out, exhaust off etc), Clutch and flwheel replaced, and another gearbox installed etc. At no point did I see any alterations to the clutch set up. I assume if just plug and play with these clutches?
Old 03 April 2010, 10:52 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

yeah and no. when you take the slave cylinder off the car it obviously relax's due to no pressure on it. and because you have had a new box and clutch its always best to bleed the system as well. well i believe it is.. if not it could be a fitment error
Old 04 April 2010, 11:09 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Going to ring them Tuesday.... not been out in the car over the las few days so they can't say ive damaged it....
Old 04 April 2010, 08:24 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

i had same problem when i had the red excedy 350bhp clutch fitted to mine but a few week later was fine
Old 05 April 2010, 08:04 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

the clutch shouldnt need bleeding and even if it did it wouldnt make the clutch slip,it would only give you a poor feel to the peddle.there is either a problem with the new clutch or it has got something on it that is making it slip,like oil or brake flluid.
Old 05 April 2010, 09:13 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

If there is air in the clutch system it won't cause slip, but could prevent the clutch dis-engaging correctly, and cause drag, or judder.

Make sure there is some free play on the clutch peddle, or adjust it so there is.
Old 05 April 2010, 09:20 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have paid someone to fit/repair I wouldnt start messing about with it,
If there is a issue they may get a bit funny if you have been messing,
id let them have it back to sort IMHO.
Old 05 April 2010, 10:47 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, it would have gone back by now if it wasnt for the Easter weekend. Looks like im booking another day off work then!!!!

The Clutch is at the top, almost the same position was where the old clutch was that was getting close to slipping (but was still relatively healthy).

The car hasnt moved for 3 days and ive no intention of messing with someone elses work, so it will be going back. But as the clutch is under warrantee and the 3rd party garage has fitted it im just wondering how to approach it? Taking it back to the garage is easy, but who is to blame and who foots the bill? What if the clutch is faulty?.....

Strange how one comment above said his slipped too then seem to bed in..?

Rob
Old 05 April 2010, 11:26 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance
If there is air in the clutch system it won't cause slip, but could prevent the clutch dis-engaging correctly, and cause drag, or judder.

Make sure there is some free play on the clutch peddle, or adjust it so there is.

this is what i was getting at
Old 07 April 2010, 08:17 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Update:

Ive not been in the car over the Easter break with the intention of taking it back to the garage, however I went out in it yesterday for the first time in 4 days and it seemed fine, no slipping that was noticeable. I didnt take the car very far (apx 4miles) so I dont really know what it will be like under heavy load, full throttle, or when it gets hot, However I did give it the one blip in 3rd and it seemed to pull fine which was pleasing. I think I'l give it a little while to bed in and then see how it goes from there before I take it any further, or do you think I should take it back to the garage anyway?

Thanks in advance for all the advise and help guys. I really hope this is the problem resolved...

Cheers
Rob