Poor running/lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 12:54 AM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor running/lack of power

Hi,

I have recently put my Impreza (MY99 WRX import) back on the road after 3 months of not being used due to a worn clutch, which I have now replaced. When I first started driving it again, it would stall at every junction and hesitated quite badly. Fault code on ecu for MAF, so I replaced MAF (new item from main dealer) and reset ecu which cured the fault.

When I reset the ecu it started flashing up code 32 (oxygen sensor) but then gave the all clear flashes.

The Impreza has since developed another fault, it intermitently shudders under light throttle and fuel consuption has gone up. Also the performance has dropped quite a bit - at times it is like there is no turbo, its just flat under acceleration untill much higher in the rev range than normal. There are no fault codes currently on the ecu.

I am thinking that this is probably a faulty oxygen sensor, but:
Why did the ecu start to give a fault code and then give the all clear?
And why has it not logged the fault code before or since the reset?

Also any other idears of what might be causing this fault?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart
Old 25 March 2010, 12:16 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Not likely a oxygen sensor, but sounds like a air leak. make sure all the intercooler pipework is ok.
Old 25 March 2010, 10:20 PM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

Thanks mit, I will take the intercooler back off at the weekend and check all the pipes, perhaps one was damaged or loose from when I replaced the clutch.

Another thing I noticed today is that after the car is driven at high revs, it hunts at idle for the first 30 - 40 seconds when you stop.
Old 25 March 2010, 10:41 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Def sounds like a leak, i had similar on my last scoob, turned out the tmic pipe had a bolt missing.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:27 AM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

Update.

I removed the intercooler on saturday and checked the hoses, which were all ok. I made sure all hose clips were tight and refitted the intercooler.

While I was there, I removed and cleaned the oxygen sensor and reset the ECU

The car is deffinately running better, but not perfect and I am still getting code 32 when resetting the ECU (I have started another thread about the fault code when resetting).

I am going to replace the oxygen sensor and will post on both treads with the result.
Old 02 April 2010, 02:41 PM
walczak21
Scooby Newbie

hi i am new to this website!! i have same problem. i have subaru impreza turbo 2000 from 1995. my mate who a mechanic told me that my scoob is loosin power as it is not takin enough air into turbo. n he said that best bit is to replace intercooler. but first i decided to give it a good clean, so i took intercooler out n gave it a good clean, i cleaned it and it woz clean enough inside. but when i put it back in scooby, and start drivin it turbo hardly kicks in. it sounds like it is not takin hardly any air. i think i have blocked my intercooler even more, but also i had problem puttin back in its place the intercooler, so i disconnected the pipe dat connects to turbo and dump valve, put that into turbo, then i mounted intercooler in its place then i put the pipe back into intercooler which goes underneath the intercooler, but i only put 2 out of 3 bolts back on as i struggled to put the far bolt back on. so the car is not using turno at the mooment. could any one please give me advice, i have ordered used intercooler from ebay see how that goes. or maybe is it that bolt missin issue. but when the pipe is bolted on into intercooler it is very hard to put the pipe back into turbo. any advice as well please how to put the pipe back into turbo please thank you
Old 04 April 2010, 12:05 PM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I would be suprised if your issue is being caused by a blocked intercooler. Check your air filter and pipe work up to the turbo incase you have a blockage there.
Also check that the waste gate is not stuck open or the vacumm pipes to it are not split.

You will need to refit the third bolt or you may loose pressure after the turbo. The pipe onto the turbo is a fiddle, but it should go on eventually! And make sure you do all the hose clips up tight.

Is your mate sure that it is a lack of air into the turbo and not a loss of pressure after? make sure all the intercooler hoses are ok including the ones to the dumpvalve and make sure the dumpvalve is working/not stuck open.

Regards

Stu
Old 04 April 2010, 04:31 PM
walczak21
Scooby Newbie

thank you 4 your help!!! since i have that problem my scooby wont go any higher than 3-4 thousand revs. and smoke comes out of turbo. does it mean that there is lack of air goin into turbo??
Old 06 April 2010, 09:48 PM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I have replaced the oxygen sensor and reset the ECU. Got the all clear code strait away - only travelled about 10 feet

Shudder/hesitation has gone and car seems to run much smoother.

Now having problems with lack of boost, but I think this is down to the intercooler pipes, as they have been taken off several times lately (including when I replaced the oxygen sensor) and the one between the intercooler and trottle body is swolen with a couple of small splits on one edge (but these are on the outside of the hose clip so should'nt cause an issue).

Thanks to Splitpin for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Stu

Last edited by stuimpreza; 06 April 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 06 April 2010, 10:43 PM
walczak21
Scooby Newbie

i have checked all pipes on intercooler, and you was right STU, i had air leak between intercooler and pipe that goes into turbo, now fixed. thanx for your help
Old 06 April 2010, 11:01 PM
stuimpreza
Scooby Regular

No problem, glad to be of assistance. I just need to get to the bottom of mine now!
Old 06 April 2010, 11:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuimpreza
Hi,

I have replaced the oxygen sensor and reset the ECU. Got the all clear code strait away - only travelled about 10 feet
Yep, if you try it on a hot engine that's all it should take when all the sensors are responding properly.

Now having problems with lack of boost, but I think this is down to the intercooler pipes, as they have been on taken off several times laterly
The one to pay particular attention to (assuming you have it) is the horrible moulded plastic y-pipe between the turbo and the intercooler. These are notorious for splitting where the two halves are welded together and are somewhat restrictive even if they're not leaking. Perfect opportunity to get rid and replace with a silicone or STi-type cast alternative.

Thanks to Splitpin for all your help, it is very much appreciated
No sweat Stu, good to hear it's going in the right direction.