Notices

Will a boost solenoid or the map sensor stop my car from starting?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2010, 05:27 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a boost solenoid or the map sensor stop my car from starting?

As above, I have a uk2000 my98 that's had a new engine fitted, it won't start, it does occasionally and as soon as
it dies it cuts out, the engine check light is telling me either 44 boost solenoid or 45 map sensor, I can't quite tell which as it bloody flashes a bit quick, but my question is this, will this be stopping my car from
starting any help is much obliged
Old 06 April 2010, 05:34 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure the map sensor would stop the car from running if their is a fault.
Old 06 April 2010, 05:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The boost control solenoid won't prevent the car from starting.

Error 45 refers to both the MAP sensor and the pressure source change solenoid.

An error with either of those two shouldn't prevent the engine starting completely (the ECU should substitute a value sufficient to keep it going in limp mode) but I would not expect it to run stably/well.

Is this new engine a like for like (i.e. another MY98 UK) replacement, or? Also, what has actually been changed? Are we talking about a complete transplant including the inlet manifold and its wiring loom, a short/long engine, or what?
Old 06 April 2010, 06:01 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

Hi splitpin, it's a complete likeness, engine wise my98 for another, loom, inlet, everything etc, I kept my orginal loom the only one that was changed was the one on the inlet as this was damaged so put a new one on that's the only thing to have been changed
Old 06 April 2010, 06:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Okay, go have a look under your bonnet and check something out (as I'm having brain fade and can't remember!): Follow the connectors on the boost control/pressure sensor pack and see how the wires make their way back to the ECU. The bit I don't remember on your MY of car is whether they run back in their own conduit and run through the bulkhead, or whether they run into the loom on the inlet manifold.

If you've kept the same boost control pack, and assuming you weren't getting any CEL prior to the swap, then by far the likeliest cause of the errors now is a wiring issue between the boost control pack and the ECU. If that cabling goes around the suspension turret and into the bulkhead then it shouldn't have been affected by the engine swap. If, on the other hand, it runs through the loom on the inlet manifold then you might have a problem on the new one.

One thing you could try is to connect the green plugs under the dash and flick the ignition on. You should be able to hear both the boost solenoid and the pressure source change solenoid flicking on and off. Also check the CEL again and see if you can determine which error you're getting. It's highly possible you might be seeing both 44 and 45 so spend some time trying to count it.

Also, the obvious question: You're 100% sure you've connected everything back up properly round the airbox/boost control area aren't you? Check it again just to be certain.
Old 06 April 2010, 11:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

98 has an immobiliser in the ecu... usually allows start and then dies.. is the key immobiliser flashing on the dash?