Noisy diesel

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2010, 05:06 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noisy diesel

Hi all
My 8 month old Legacy TDI engine has started making a loud tapping noise under light acceleration, worst at around 1800/2000 rpm. Any ideas?
Old 22 March 2010, 05:20 PM
biggi
Scooby Regular

I would take it back to the dealer as it should still be under warranty, don't waste anytime posting on forums, let the dealers do the donkey work.

I am sure there will be someone on here that would help you but like I said, I would be knocking on the dealer’s door.
Hope you get it sorted.
Old 22 March 2010, 06:04 PM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

As has been said back to dealer at eight months old under warrant no question.
However if the noise you refer to is occuring when engine cold and under light load then i would not worry.
That is typical cold diesel knock for want of a better phrase.
From a cold start under light load at low revs mine knocks and can sometimes sound like an old tractor.

Once a bit of warmth is generated noise gone. However get it checked out thats what you have a warranty for.

Incidentally mine has now done 63000 in 30 months without an issue but as said can be noisy under circumstances described for a short time.
Old 22 March 2010, 06:36 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

You're both right, I should take it back to the dealer, but I'm in France at the moment and driving back next week with a (lightly laden) trailer. I suppose I can test out my French at the local dealer!

The noise does reduce when the engine's hot, but it's still there. It's most obvious when cruising in top and a touch of throttle is applied to pick up a bit of speed. It might be my imagination, but I don't think it's always been there. On the other hand, maybe it's because I'm new to diesels! Previously RB320, P1, Classic Impreza and Legacy turbo.

Last edited by GlynMo; 22 March 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 30 June 2010, 03:10 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

Well my car's now had its first service and the technician says it's fine. In that case, the Scooby diesel is no quieter or smoother than most others! It still pulls ok (although I'm still looking for a sensible way to get more reliable power/torque), and it's averaging 44/45 mpg, but that rattle is starting to get on my t!ts.
Old 08 December 2010, 10:10 PM
toffeeman
Scooby Newbie

My Outback also drinks from the devil's pump. it does get a little bit rattly at idle but is generally pretty smooth especially on the move when compared to VW and Citroen diesel units I've had. Just had mine remapped by Litchfields. It has made a huge difference to it's driveability, smoothness and the extra torque is great for A road and motorway driving and overtaking without having to drop down a gear. I'm now averaging 47mpg whereas before the remap I averaged 42 to 43 mpg; I don't potter around so others may do better. Most of my driving is A roads and motorways and the same 250 mile journey every week so the mpg comparison is real enough. I had a Legacy diesel before with a Superchips remap and that was also torquey but harsh, lumpy and mpg was down, probably due to over fuelling. Certainly worth giving Iain at Litchfields a call, they know what they're doing and the service is top drawer. Not connected in anyway just a happy customer. If anybody wants more info, feel free to PM me.
Old 10 December 2010, 06:38 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that toffeeman. Could you give me a hint as to the cost?
Old 11 December 2010, 12:13 PM
toffeeman
Scooby Newbie

Hi, I paid £587.50 including VAT. They now have a web page for the remap with more details.
Old 04 March 2011, 04:43 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

Well Toffeeman, I went to Litchfields and had the remap, and what a difference! The car is now what it should have been from the factory. Very good up-grade, thanks for the heads-up.

The engine now produces similar torque/power outputs to the Japanese domestic engines (so I'm told), so there should be no risk to the drive train either.

Old 06 March 2014, 10:29 PM
dobiemike
Scooby Newbie

Hi all. I have a 2009 Legacy diesel which when cold sounds like a tractor until it gets warm on my way to work about 8 miles. Is this normal for a subaru diesel? I have tried the dealer but they can here it but say they can find nothinbg wrong but the noise is definitely getting worse. Any ideas please.
Old 25 March 2014, 12:39 PM
GlynMo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dobiemike
Hi all. I have a 2009 Legacy diesel which when cold sounds like a tractor until it gets warm on my way to work about 8 miles. Is this normal for a subaru diesel? I have tried the dealer but they can here it but say they can find nothinbg wrong but the noise is definitely getting worse. Any ideas please.
I don't think the Subaru diesel motor is a quiet one until it's warmed up, but if it's getting worse, I'd ask for a second opinion (different dealer).