Notices

potential new owner after some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2010, 05:01 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential new owner after some advice!

hey guys/girls?

just a quick one as im new to all this and hopefully about to buy my new scooby!

Basically im looking for a uk turbo2000 and think ive found one.
its a 99/00 with 118k on the clock, 2 owners from new and fsh and its up for £2900... and i believe totally standard which is also what im after.

question im asking is this;

do you think £2900 is a tad high on price? (prob hard to say with not seeing car)

are there any major issues or things to look out for when buying, as 118k miles seems quite a bit but im prepared to take it as its got the history to back it up.

is there anything that might be a problem even though its got fsh?

are there any common issues/ faults to look out for?

thanks for your time people, if i end up buying it ill stick up some pictures!!

mark

Last edited by markstand; 26 February 2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: incorrect mileage
Old 26 February 2010, 05:20 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

yeah knocking in the engine which does not go away when warm listen to it from being dead cold all the way to warm up tkae it for a good 20 minute run down a nice big raod werer you can get some power donw then check to see if there is water bubblign up in the over flow ont he pansger side at teh front of the engine bay as that will be a big no buy and im sure a few other guys on here will point out soem stuff oh high and wellcome to the club : >
Old 26 February 2010, 07:10 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scoobynet Mark.
Wouldn't know where to start Mark TBH. It's just like buying any other second hand car but just a little bit more expensive if something goes wrong IMO. With the mileage on that car I'd be really thinking about will it need a re-build? and can you afford it if it happens? (can't comment on the price sorry)
Its a UK Turbo so different to my classic, as I have a my96 JDM WRX version but just for example (not trying to worry you about Subarus);
1 month after I bought mine the engine went bang and my car was low mileage with only 70,000 odd. Since then it's had a full re-build, new gearbox, MAF sensor, cam sensor and various other bits & bobs. Basically anything that could go wrong did go wrong
........But just because that happened to me doesn't mean it'll happen to you.

Here are some sites that may help you in your quest

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | BuyingGuides / Impreza Buying Guide
Subaru Impreza Buying Guide (GC8) - Impreza GC8 Buying Tips
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ing-guide.html
Impreza buying guide - Type-RA.co.uk - Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R

but eitherway goodluck and I wouldn't be without my Scoob even with everything thats happened Gareth
Old 26 February 2010, 08:57 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

just found a link to the car ill be going to look at if it'll help!

2000 SUBARU IMPREZA Turbo 2000 4WD 4dr Saloon

sounds a bit worrying all that gareth!
id have thought the engine and the like would have been all ok with it having fsh? and 1 owner. id not mornally touch cars with high mileage but then its only average for the year so i dunno plus they all seem to have pretty high mileage on cars around that age.

and im guessing there is no telling when the engine is going to go bang either! sounds like you had a bad time with yours, but good it hasnt put you off lol
would you say though, now youve had the work done its pretty reliable?
ill be going from a toyota celica to a scoob so used im pretty used to the reliability!

ill make sure to take it for a decent drive and the like to check for the water boiling over too.

cheers for the welcome also! haha

Last edited by markstand; 26 February 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot to put in the link!
Old 26 February 2010, 10:10 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Yes, my cars definately more reliable now Mark.....but it would be with mostly all new parts
Your link didn't work for me but I'll have another look later.
Just remember 1 owner from new is not a guarantee after all you don't know how they've been driving it for the last ten years.
E.g. Did they let the turbo/oil cool down before switching the engine off?
Have they done a lot of short trips and ragged the car before everthings up to correct working temperature/pressure?

Full service history is good though; never had one with mine as it was Japanese so hence why I could have suffered so many of the problems I've had .
If you can find out what oil has been used? how regularly have the oil changes been done? have genuine filters been used or cheaper ones? where was the work carried out? etc etc Might be worth contacting the garage to see what they think of the car mechanically to if they've been working on it for a long time. Anyway I'm babbling
Maybe some others will chip in a few ideas to help you in your search too
Old 27 February 2010, 12:28 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

yeah that link doesnt work as the car has now sold! gutted! ah well saved me a 350 mile round trip to go look at it i guess haha

ill keep an eye out for one though maybe with less mileage and keep a bit higher budget in mind
cheers for the help though guys
Old 27 February 2010, 03:16 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

No problem Mark. Might be worth also checking the for sale section on this site for that car your after. Goodluck with your hunt Gareth
Old 27 February 2010, 04:36 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

there re some well look after cars on here for sale you maybe should think about buying of here as people would have look after them better maybe
Old 28 February 2010, 11:17 PM
markstand
Scooby Regular

yeah ive been looking on here for quite a while, but they tend to be either modded/ imoprted or out of my price range ha-ha, ill just have to save some more cash up i think!

would rather have an import, but i dont wanna get stung with hefty insurance. ive managed to get a quote for a uk 2000 for £650. (only 100 more than my celica!)
being 26 with 6 points doesnt really go in my favour though!

ill keep me eyes peeled tho and keep looking on here, theres bound to be one come up sometime soon!