Notices

swopping engine`s

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2010, 11:23 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swopping engine`s and loom compatibility between model years.

Hi all need a bit of advice please? iv got an my94 v1 sti which iv only owned a few weeks, iv just found out it has been in a serious front ender and the chassis is shot, what i wanted to no is this, I can get an my97 catalunya shell with loom etc, how easy is it to fit my my94 sti engine gearbox and diffs into the new shell? will the engine work on the my97 ecu? if not what do i have to do, i have the my94 loom so if worst come to worse i could swop looms i suppose/

Ant advice would be greatly apriciated thanks

Ian

Last edited by worbs; 12 February 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: none
Old 11 February 2010, 05:50 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 11 February 2010, 06:58 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

If it's worth doing it's worth doing right. I would simply strip the 97 shell bare and then transfer everything from the 94 shell into it. Looms, dash, engine, box, diff, struts, brakes, fuel pump and anything else that looks 'different' . Some ecu's have different wires feeding them so I'd change everything to be safe.

It'd probably take a weekend to get it all done and dusted. Where abouts in the country are you?

It'd be handy to get a workshop manual so that you have access to all the torque settings to ensure it's all perfect.
Old 11 February 2010, 08:23 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NINJA_LOVER
If it's worth doing it's worth doing right. I would simply strip the 97 shell bare and then transfer everything from the 94 shell into it. Looms, dash, engine, box, diff, struts, brakes, fuel pump and anything else that looks 'different' . Some ecu's have different wires feeding them so I'd change everything to be safe.

It'd probably take a weekend to get it all done and dusted. Where abouts in the country are you?

It'd be handy to get a workshop manual so that you have access to all the torque settings to ensure it's all perfect.
I did think it may be better to strip it totally just in case things may be different, im in sunny ol suffolk mate, ipswich.

Ian
Old 11 February 2010, 08:31 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need to swap looms and dash as the 97 cars were very different. 3 pin ecu instead of 4 pin. ect etc
Old 12 February 2010, 12:46 AM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
you will need to swap looms and dash as the 97 cars were very different. 3 pin ecu instead of 4 pin. ect etc
The dash as well? oh crap, what are the differences with the dash mate in regards to ecu/loom?

Ian
Old 12 February 2010, 04:36 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Would i be better swopping bits on the v1 sti engine to match the my97 loom? what would i need to change?
Old 12 February 2010, 05:58 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Ok forget the above, what about a v3 sti loom is that the same as a v1 sti ?
Old 12 February 2010, 07:20 PM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Hey. Seems you've been talking to yourself...

Hee hee...

I wouldn't have the slightest idea of any differences but if they exist then I would imagine they would be slight. The bit that has been highlighted to me so far is that the classic has a cable speedo whereas the facelift classic has an electronic one... Could posse an issue of sorts...

How comes you don't want to simply gut the car and swap the lot into the other shell? It would mean everything would be perfect as oppose to leaving open a few loose ends that only cause headaches later on...
Old 12 February 2010, 07:28 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Hey. Seems you've been talking to yourself...

Hee hee...

I wouldn't have the slightest idea of any differences but if they exist then I would imagine they would be slight. The bit that has been highlighted to me so far is that the classic has a cable speedo whereas the facelift classic has an electronic one... Could posse an issue of sorts...

How comes you don't want to simply gut the car and swap the lot into the other shell? It would mean everything would be perfect as oppose to leaving open a few loose ends that only cause headaches later on...
Lol i often talk to my self fella, its fun lol,

Im not that clued up with auto electrics mate, im a sparky by trade though so swopping complete looms is prob not beyond me if i have the pin outs and diagrams etc, just would of rather it been a straight swop for the sake of being easier (and a tad lazy) lol, but i suppose it`s a chance to learn something new.

The v3 sti is deffo a 3 pin and the v1 sti is a 4 so ill have to do some fettling no matter what

Ian
Old 13 February 2010, 01:52 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by worbs
Lol i often talk to my self fella, its fun lol,

Im not that clued up with auto electrics mate, im a sparky by trade though so swopping complete looms is prob not beyond me if i have the pin outs and diagrams etc, just would of rather it been a straight swop for the sake of being easier (and a tad lazy) lol, but i suppose it`s a chance to learn something new.

The v3 sti is deffo a 3 pin and the v1 sti is a 4 so ill have to do some fettling no matter what

Ian
Not really anything 'electrical' about swapping out the looms, simply unplugging and re-plugging. Could label them if you're forgetful but generally it's easy to find what plugs in where as long as you find something that plugs in somewhere and then work from there...

You 'would' need to use your electrical skills to start mixing up looms though and would need diagrams to identify what sends what where and why... THAT would be hard work in my opinion.

I've carried out a lot of engine swaps and the easiest ones I have done have involved swapping 'everything' as oppose to bits and pieces. Always end up with dodgy relays or things connected in a different manner when I tried the supposed 'easy' route. The ONLY easy route is to do it all right first time!

If swapping out the dashes you'll most likely need to swap out the door cards too. I'm currently trying to figure out a method of removing the classic facelift dash and installing the pre-facelift dash as I prefer the door cards.........

Just look sexier to me......
Old 13 February 2010, 01:58 AM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Not really anything 'electrical' about swapping out the looms, simply unplugging and re-plugging. Could label them if you're forgetful but generally it's easy to find what plugs in where as long as you find something that plugs in somewhere and then work from there...

You 'would' need to use your electrical skills to start mixing up looms though and would need diagrams to identify what sends what where and why... THAT would be hard work in my opinion.

I've carried out a lot of engine swaps and the easiest ones I have done have involved swapping 'everything' as oppose to bits and pieces. Always end up with dodgy relays or things connected in a different manner when I tried the supposed 'easy' route. The ONLY easy route is to do it all right first time!

If swapping out the dashes you'll most likely need to swap out the door cards too. I'm currently trying to figure out a method of removing the classic facelift dash and installing the pre-facelift dash as I prefer the door cards.........

Just look sexier to me......
I reckon ill go for a complete swop over then, i to think it`ll be the easiest option, ill be swopping the door cards as iv got the nice grey alcantra inserts in mine .
I would like to try and keep the facelift dash though, i prefer it to the pre-facelift, ill look into how difficult it will be, will there be issue`s when attempting that mate?.
Old 13 February 2010, 02:21 AM
NINJA_LOVER
Scooby Regular

Pre-facelift door cards will be a little 'cramped' up against the facelift dash. They're also a different colour although you wouldn't think it...

As far as I know if you're leaving the original looms in the doors etc then the facelift looms will fit the electric window switches etc on all but the drivers door which has a different connection block. Not impossible to change over and would merely be a case of cutting and shutting. The switches seem to operate the 'other' way round with the modern loom too... Could of course vary from loom to loom...

Still to get stuck into it all so that's all the info I have so far. The complexities of the wiring has still to be explored for me but I'm definitely removing the facelift dash and fitting the original one... I've only got the basic 'rough' WRX reddy/blacky inserts unfortunately...
Old 13 February 2010, 05:38 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Pre-facelift door cards will be a little 'cramped' up against the facelift dash. They're also a different colour although you wouldn't think it...

As far as I know if you're leaving the original looms in the doors etc then the facelift looms will fit the electric window switches etc on all but the drivers door which has a different connection block. Not impossible to change over and would merely be a case of cutting and shutting. The switches seem to operate the 'other' way round with the modern loom too... Could of course vary from loom to loom...

Still to get stuck into it all so that's all the info I have so far. The complexities of the wiring has still to be explored for me but I'm definitely removing the facelift dash and fitting the original one... I've only got the basic 'rough' WRX reddy/blacky inserts unfortunately...
By the looks of it fella the my97 dash is virtually the same as an my94, im struggling to find pics to compare them, if they are but the wiring is different i may just swop the dash`s as well save messing with modifly old loom to suit new dash, i think what ill do when it comes to stripping the loom from my knackerd shell is to label and number everything i disconnect, that way i can replace number to number, should be easy enough then, are you doing similar to me at the moment then mate?
Old 13 February 2010, 05:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ph.1 MY93-96 (up til Aug 96) dash/interior is the same is the Ph.1.5 MY97 (up til Aug 97) one, yes! But whether the electrics/looms changed about...? I suspect they did, as the ECU is a 3-plug compared to the Ph.1's 4-plug, which probably implies wholesale changes to the looms, etc.......

It was for MY98 (from Sep 97) when the dash/interior changed...

Last edited by joz8968; 13 February 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:57 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Ph.1 MY93-96 (up til Aug 96) dash/interior is the same is the Ph.1.5 MY97 (up til Aug 97) one, yes! But whether the electrics/looms changed about...? I suspect they did, as the ECU is a 3-plug compared to the Ph.1's 4-plug, which probably implies wholesale changes to the looms, etc.......

It was for MY98 (from Sep 97) when the dash/interior changed...

Cheers joz, yer the ecu in the shell im using is a 3pin and my car`s loom is a 4, ill have to study some pin outs and wiring diagrams to see where the differences lie, hopefully they shouldn`t be to severe, if so i will just change dash`s.
Old 13 February 2010, 06:05 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

JGM has pin-out diagrams on his site. Also, slipstream has some PDFs you can download for all MYs, so hopefully, by hook or by crook, you'd be able to get hold of pin-outs for MY94 and MY97, etc.....
Old 13 February 2010, 06:16 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
JGM has pin-out diagrams on his site. Also, slipstream has some PDFs you can download for all MYs, so hopefully, by hook or by crook, you'd be able to get hold of pin-outs for MY94 and MY97, etc.....
Lovelly cheers fella ill have a look at them and see what i can find, you dont no web addreses of hand do you mate?.
Old 14 February 2010, 01:03 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Wicked - they're all here (for the Classics):-

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk