Notices

Scooby Newbie - Potentially WRX '06 Sportwagon

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2010, 05:00 PM
Saulmac
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby Newbie - Potentially WRX '06 Sportwagon

Hi Guys I'm new on here and in need of a few answers.
I'm in the process of selling my current motor and am looking for something a little more pratical with a bit of punch so am leaning towards a hawkeye WRX Sportwagon.

What I need to know is what sort of realistic MPG can I expect on long drives. A colleague of mine regularly commutes to Aberdeen sitting between 70 - 80mph and claims he gets high 20's and even low 30's to the Gallon, is this possible? I currently drive an RX8(20mpg if your lucky) so know all about poor fuel economy but something that could return 30mpg on a sensible driving day I could live with.
Second question is I've seen a 2006 WRX with the PPP option. With this model what exactly do you get with the performance pack and does it effect the mpg badly?
Last but not least I notice that these models have dreadful stereos(06 I looked at still had tape deck). Can upgrade units be easily sourced given that the head unit seems to be double sized.

Thanks
Saul
Old 16 January 2010, 05:16 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ide say low 20's at that sort of speed..high 20's -30 if your 65-70mph
Old 16 January 2010, 05:21 PM
Rubberscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saulmac
I'm in the process of selling my current motor and am looking for something a little more pratical with a bit of punch so am leaning towards a hawkeye WRX Sportwagon.

What I need to know is what sort of realistic MPG can I expect on long drives. A colleague of mine regularly commutes to Aberdeen sitting between 70 - 80mph and claims he gets high 20's and even low 30's to the Gallon, is this possible? I currently drive an RX8(20mpg if your lucky) so know all about poor fuel economy but something that could return 30mpg on a sensible driving day I could live with.
Second question is I've seen a 2006 WRX with the PPP option. With this model what exactly do you get with the performance pack and does it effect the mpg badly?
Last but not least I notice that these models have dreadful stereos(06 I looked at still had tape deck). Can upgrade units be easily sourced given that the head unit seems to be double sized.

Thanks
Saul
Not to sure what the ppp contains and offers, no problem changing the stereo mate.
Old 17 January 2010, 09:04 AM
Saulmac
Scooby Newbie

Thanks
Saul
Just found some excellent threads on the forum relating to changing out the stereo.
Could however do with some info on the PPP pack for a WRX '06 Sportwagon and expectant MPG.

Cheers
Saul
Old 17 January 2010, 05:58 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

My Hawkeye wagon is 278bhp and I get high 20's MPG for motorway driving.
Old 18 January 2010, 09:06 AM
Saulmac
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
My Hawkeye wagon is 278bhp and I get high 20's MPG for motorway driving.
Hi Arthur, that's pretty good considering the BHP your producing. I take your WRX has been tuned to that power output as opposed to being the PPP option?

Any idea what the differences are between the PPP option and standard WRX for this model of Impreza?
Old 18 January 2010, 09:13 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You get very little for your money in the PPP tbh.

You will get better results sourcing your own exhaust system (to suit the volume that you want) an aftermarket air filter plus a remap.

High 20's MPG on a mapped car as they run more efficiently than one that hasnt been mapped.
Old 18 January 2010, 04:25 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Hi Arthur, that's pretty good considering the BHP your producing. I take your WRX has been tuned to that power output as opposed to being the PPP option?

Any idea what the differences are between the PPP option and standard WRX for this model of Impreza?
I have 3" turbo back exhaust with sports cat, Green panel filter, uprated fuel pump and Ecutek re-map. Looking at about £1000 for that lot though you could get that price down with second hand parts and an open source map. I dont know what is included in the PPP.

As Duncan says I am getting slightly better fuel consumption since the car was mapped.

Last edited by Scooby Arthur; 18 January 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Cant spell!
Old 18 January 2010, 04:30 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

i went from an rx8 to a hawkeye wrx and the fuel consumption improved dramatically. i get an extra 70-80 miles per tank now
Old 18 January 2010, 04:32 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hughes741
i went from an rx8 to a hawkeye wrx and the fuel consumption improved dramatically. i get an extra 70-80 miles per tank now
lol - and dont have to fill with oil every tank either