Notices

Can someone please explain (Cam Belt Set Up)

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2010, 02:09 AM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please explain (Cam Belt Set Up)

I'm 100% confused, i'm trying to get my head around what to replace when i get my cam belt changed.

As far as i was aware to change the cam belt all you needed was a cam belt and a tensioner if needed.

Then i was searching the forum and people were mentioning kits, so i looked kits up and this brought this into the mix:

SUBARU TURBO CAMBELT KIT WITH TENSIONER 1998 to 2007 on eBay (end time 26-Jan-10 11:26:39 GMT)

So here we have - toothed idler, No.2 idler (small roller) tensioner and roller idlers X 2 - WTFrick!?!? What are these?

THEN i was looking at pulleys and i understood this part UNTIL this:

CDF Racing Suppliers of Whiteline bailey manley wiseco samco powerflex performance fricton

That tensioner doesn't look like the tensioners that i've seen in the ebay link? What is it?

And to add to this apparently there are 2 types of tensioners? What's the old one look like, i'm assuming the one in the ebay link above above is the new design.

If anyone can explain any of this to me i would be extremely grateful.

What do i need to to completely replace all the cam belt components?

I am aware that the alternater and power streering pullys are separate and nothing to do with the cam belt set up.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Saalro; 28 September 2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 17 January 2010, 08:52 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Depending on what year car you have the above kit will fit 98 onwards, for earlier cars the tensioner is a piston type and the idlers vary a little, but buying as a kit shouldn’t be a problem i am assuming you have a pre 98 car.

The pulley wheels in the second link are separate to the cambelt service rather engine dress up, the design, colour etc will always vary on year and maker.
Old 17 January 2010, 10:06 AM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

There is a cam belt tensioner pulley, that would come in a kit if you brought a "cam belt kit"

The pulleys we do are , Crank alternator powersteering and aircon tensioner
Old 17 January 2010, 08:13 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-Ink*
Depending on what year car you have the above kit will fit 98 onwards, for earlier cars the tensioner is a piston type and the idlers vary a little, but buying as a kit shouldn’t be a problem i am assuming you have a pre 98 car.

The pulley wheels in the second link are separate to the cambelt service rather engine dress up, the design, colour etc will always vary on year and maker.
Originally Posted by CDF Racing
There is a cam belt tensioner pulley, that would come in a kit if you brought a "cam belt kit"

The pulleys we do are , Crank alternator powersteering and aircon tensioner
I have a Classic MY00 Turbo 2000.

So the cam belt physically touches the idlers and idlers have bearings?

So if i was to get the cam belt done i could have these pulleys fitted without having the cam belt off again?

Are none of these pulleys actually used to rotate the cam belt?

I thought the crank pulley might be part of the cam belt system, guessing not now.

Thanks

Old 17 January 2010, 09:22 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Saalro

So if i was to get the cam belt done i could have these pulleys fitted without having the cam belt off again?

I thought the crank pulley might be part of the cam belt system, guessing not now.

Thanks dudes,
Sam Rogers

Yep, these lightweight pulleys have nothing to do with them cam belt/campulleys, they sit in front of the cam pulleys

The lightweight pulleys are ran by multivee belts which can be changed in minutes

Give me a call on 01634 292002 if you need any more info or pm me
Chris
Old 18 January 2010, 12:36 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the help man.

Old 18 January 2010, 03:57 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saalro

Yes.

Yes, although you'd need to remove the tensioner and recompress it properly, so if you are going to replace one or more of them, the best time to do it is in concert with the belt change. You only need to change the idlers if the bearings have worn (and have play in them) or have gone noisy/notchy. Otherwise they can be re-used without problem. Obviously enough, if only one has gone, you only need to replace one.

The worst is usually the little ****** that sits above the water pump. Subaru improved the design a few years ago so the best option if that one's bad is to get an MY03+ replacement and the longer mounting bolt it needs.

No they're all used to rotate/position/tension the cam belt.

There are two crank pulleys. One is part of the cambelt system and the other isn't. One of them sits on the nose of the crankshaft and drives the alternator, PAS and (where fitted) aircon belts. This is the one included in CDF's set. The other one sits behind, underneath the belt cover, and drives the timing belt, as well as providing timing pulses to the ECU via the crank position sensor.
Old 18 January 2010, 04:55 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Thanks