Notices

Simtek- error warning and learning?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2009, 09:33 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek- error warning and learning?

I have a Simtek in my car, and in preparation for the next round of upgrades, I refitted my FMIC pipes today.

Now going for a drive, on boost, it just flat lines, so Im presuming I have a boost leak, which is a pain, but there we go.

I dont have any warning lights on the dash, but it did get me thinking, can I read fault codes from a Simtek ECU? I havent paid for any extra connections.

My second question is that you read about ECU's 'self learning' in terms of pulling timing, altering fueling etc, especually in regard to the standard ECU.

My question is, does the Simtek 'self learn'? I presume it cant detect if I say put super duper race fuel in, or conversely 95 ron? Im just wondering how clever the Simtek is compared with the standard ECU.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with my simtek, or the mapping on it, just a couple of questions.

All advice appreciated.

Grant
Old 28 December 2009, 09:40 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I think the OE ECU is developed to be a learning ECU so that when a idiot gets hold of the car and puts Fred's (gnat's pi55) petrol in it won't go bang. By having a aftermarket ECU fitted it says to the manufacteur be it GEMS, Simtek, ETC that you want the best for your car so will run on the best fuel avaliable. Thus they don't need to spend the money on R&D thus keeping the cost for us down. That is the way I view it, Steve.
Old 28 December 2009, 09:46 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

If its not learning Steve, which is what I currently think, its not an issue for me, just wondered really.

Quite interested in the ECU code reading though.

If you want a laugh, on an MR2 turbo, you read error codes by shorting two terminals with a paper clip! No joke- Toyota main dealers get branded paperclips though.......
Old 28 December 2009, 09:55 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I am not sure if they are learning or not. I am sure my GEMS is not, you would be better off speaking to Steve Simpson who can be found at TEG Sport in Carneforth, for more factual info.
Old 28 December 2009, 09:58 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

as far as i'm aware its not self learning and you cannot read fault/flash codes.
Not yet anyway when updates are released ????? Closed loop knock control will pull timing when det is detected but at the minute it does not.
I know there are alot of us waiting for the updates though.

Tim
Old 29 December 2009, 07:43 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

If its not on the Gems then it wont be on a Simtek.

Whats the news on updates? Having the car mapped in Feb so was wondering if this will be in time or not.
Old 29 December 2009, 08:27 PM
steve rally
Scooby Regular

Simtek does not have "adaptive" control over fuel and ignition functions in common with most aftermarket ECUs.

The knock control (due for release on MY00 onwards Jan 1st and other models Feb 1st) will pull ignition across user defined zones depending on knock severity and there will be options regarding the "recovery strategy"; however this will not be a "learning" mode as per OEM ECU.

Currently sensors can be read by purchasing the Customer Software kit which would enable fault diagnosis, but for the future we are working on the possibility of using the tacho to display a value relating to an out of range sensor value.

Steve

Last edited by steve rally; 29 December 2009 at 08:31 PM.