Anyone Understand Tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2009, 06:32 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Understand Tracking?

Hi All,

Just had the tracking done on my car as it feels like it pulls to the left a lot.
I got a sheet with the figures on of how it is set now but no ide if its right or wrong but the car feels no different.
I can post the figures if anyone understands them?
Old 28 September 2009, 06:37 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I once had the tracking done on an old ST24 of mine at Nationwide (I think) and when that came out it was pulling to the left too. I took it straight back and basically it hadn't been done correctly by the garage. Just a thought but maybe that's what's happened to yours. I'd take it back and get them to re-check it for free as it wasn't done correctly first time round by the sounds of it.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:50 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

It pulled before it did, still does after. I had a BMW the same and it was the tyres knackered that did it. I have the figures that the car is adjusted to now and want to know if they are the correct figures they should have done it too and that they done it right.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:55 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_big_1
It pulled before it did, still does after. I had a BMW the same and it was the tyres knackered that did it. I have the figures that the car is adjusted to now and want to know if they are the correct figures they should have done it too and that they done it right.
oh.....I'm no help then got a classic so wouldn't know about the figures regarding yours sorry
Old 28 September 2009, 06:57 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

lol I have the ones off the workshop manual but no idea if what they have dones is the same lol
Old 29 September 2009, 03:55 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

I would imagine that you have less negative camber on the side that the car is pulling to - more tyre in contact with the road in a straight line than the other side, more drag and hence the pulling to that side. I think "tracking" tends to just be the toe/in/out adjustment and what you need to change is the camber on either side. I did mine myself with a laser level and lots of measuring and calculating angles but most would prefer a 4 wheel alignment and a proper print out.
Old 29 September 2009, 03:56 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Sorry didn't read your post by all means post the figures.
Old 29 September 2009, 05:33 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

If the settings you have are showing similar figures right and left then its likely to be tyres causing the problem.

Swap the tyres from the front to rear keeping them on the same side of the car.

It shoud have been checked by the garage but just incase(and ive found a few)lol if its got rotational tyres check that there running in the right direction>
Old 29 September 2009, 05:45 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

I showed the figures to a guy at work and it's the caster angle that's out. It could be someone hit a kerb at some point and it's easy to knock. Anyone no what is likely to be effected on a 2006 sti?
Old 29 September 2009, 10:21 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen many scoobys where the caster isn't the same both sides. It is non adjustable on classics, not sure about later ones.

So camber is very close to being the same both sides? This is normally what causes pulling. Caster affects camber when turning but on a straight shouldn't cause a big problem.

Unless there is more than .5 deg difference in castor I'd be checking that my tyres are ok both sides (same make, size, and manufacturer location - I say this because Pirelli had a issue with different batches) and of the same pressure. Even 2 psi difference can be noticed.
Old 29 September 2009, 10:34 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

The issue is the caster is out on the left by 1.16 so could be a worn bush or something.
Old 30 September 2009, 10:57 PM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

a castor angle is only present on cars to cause the steering to self centre. while it should be within its tolerence its unlikely to cause the car to pull