Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2009, 12:03 PM
mindphaser
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level on a 2003 WRX

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 Impreza WRX.

I'm concerned at the oil level in the engine. Most times I have a look, it appears to be very near the minimum. It's not long had an oil change so assumed the level should be higher than this? There are no visible leaks. Though there does appear to be a little blue smoke coming out of the exhaust if it has been standing for a few days. Also noticed the coolant level always very slowly goes down. The low oil pressure light never comes on. Also noticed the fan always comes on when the car is stationary for a few seconds.

Anyone have any ideas?

Am I checking the oil level at the right time? Should I do it when the engine is hot or cold?

Any responses greatfully received.

Llyr
Old 27 September 2009, 12:09 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

hey - i wouldnt get TOO hung up about the oil level, my 05 wrx gets thru oil as well :-) i actually topped mine up yesterday actually, was pretty much on "min"... you will find its only about 1/2 litre between min and max... not noticed my coolant move much tbf.... but i wud recommend checking the oil once every week or so, i do out of habbit along with tyre pressure..... just carry a bottle of 10/40 semi synthetic in ya boot :-)
Old 27 September 2009, 12:43 PM
mindphaser
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your response wrxwill05. So it's normal for the WRX to use a fair bit of oil? How often should the oil be changed?
Old 27 September 2009, 01:40 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

yeh most imprezas get through oil more than your "traditional" car, maybe someone here can give a more "technical" reason, but i suspect a boxer engine and a big turbo probably doesnt help lol... i usually take mine to Subaru for a service once a year for interim service.... car has only done 22k miles so its not needed a big service yet!

if you can afford it mate, give it a service just before the "cold snap" like November time... not saying im an expert but thats what i do :-)
Old 27 September 2009, 04:12 PM
rovermb6
Scooby Regular

my 03 wrx with 73000 miles hasnt used any oil or coolant in over 1000 since last service and its been driven quite hard at times.
maybe all engines are different.
How many miles is it before you have to add a litre of oil?
Old 27 September 2009, 04:14 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

well ive found on my engine, the difference between min and max is about 1/2 a litre.... which isnt much at all! in 6 months (around 3k miles) ive used about 1/2 of that... dunno if thats average or not...
Old 27 September 2009, 05:01 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

EJ20 engine's dipstick has low and high full circular cut outs. The difference between these is 1 litre. The top one is the max level - as taken on a stone cold engine on a level surface.

Above the top full hole is a semi-circular notch in the side of the dipstick - this is the the max level for a hot engine, when the oil will have expanded in volume.

Last edited by joz8968; 29 September 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 27 September 2009, 05:08 PM
T25 DOC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
EJ20 engine's dipstick has low and high full circular cut outs. The difference between these is 1 litre. The top one is the max level - as taken on a stone cold engine on a level surface.

Above the top full hole is a semi-circular notch in the side of the dipstick - this is the the max level for a hot engine, when the oil will have expanded in volume.
Fully agree with this - between min and maz is 1ltr and a standard impreza no matter wrx or sti can use anything upto 1ltr per 1k miles - anything more than this and there's potentially a problem - some engines use upto 1ltr and some hardly use any at all - just luck of the straw....

However if your finding your also getting through coolant and about the same or more than your oil there could be an issue and may be worth having your cyclinders pressure checked..It could be that you just have a little coolant leak and it's just coincedence - but worse case scenario one of your head gaskets could have given up the ghost...worth getting checked out at a subaru garage...
Old 29 September 2009, 01:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Old 01 October 2009, 11:11 PM
mindphaser
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your responses.

In terms of the coolant - I fill it up to the max and it will slowly just drop below this level - not sure if this is normal or not?

With the oil - not sure what to do. Is it worth getting the engine checked out before any major damage is done? Haven't done any measurements on how much oil it's actually going through - only been surprised when I check it how low it is. So it's normal for a WRX to use anything up to a litre of oil per 1000 miles?
Old 02 October 2009, 06:56 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
well ive found on my engine, the difference between min and max is about 1/2 a litre.... which isnt much at all! in 6 months (around 3k miles) ive used about 1/2 of that... dunno if thats average or not...
That sounds like 1/2 litre use in 6 months - you should be proud of that miserly consumption.

As for coolant, are you filling up the plastic tank by the radiator or the metal header tank with cap on the inlet?

Nick
Old 03 October 2009, 04:19 PM
mindphaser
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Butty
That sounds like 1/2 litre use in 6 months - you should be proud of that miserly consumption.

As for coolant, are you filling up the plastic tank by the radiator or the metal header tank with cap on the inlet?

Nick
Hi Nick - I fill the plastic tank by the radiator. Just another point. I fill it up when the engine is cold. If I check the coolant when the engine is hot the coolant level is usually at or above maximum. Again is there a problem or am I making too much of having to top it up now and again?

As for the oil - still not sure! Anyone recommend which oil I should be filling it up with?
Old 04 October 2009, 02:19 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

- mp, you shouldn't lose any measureable amount of coolant, as when the engine cools down, the partial vacuum draws it back from the overflow tank into the header tank again. Try replacing the header tank's pressure cap.

-Any Ester fully synthetic from the main protagonists e.g. Motul, Silkolene, Millers, Mobil, etc. will be fine for your engine. Just make sure its low temp "Winter" rating is no less than 5W and the high temp rating is no more than 50, and you'll be good to go.

As JGM and Oilman said earlier on, Motul 300V Competiton 15W-50 seems to be very, very good in protecting the EJ engine...

Last edited by joz8968; 04 October 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04 October 2009, 06:26 PM
mindphaser
Scooby Newbie

Well, checked the coolant tonight and it's showing just above half way between min and full. Tried opening the header tank's pressure cap (assume this is the one on top of the radiator with Do not open when hot sticker on it) and couldn't get it off - could turn it half circle but wouldn't come off? Is it best just to try and replace this first? Is it possible to buy coolant?

As for the oil - level looks ok tonight. Hasn't moved. Probably only done about 200 miles since last filled though. I'll just have to keep an eye.

Thanks for all responses so far massive help
Old 04 October 2009, 07:45 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by joz8968

You learn something every day,i wondered what the marks were for.
Old 04 October 2009, 09:12 PM
Mr-Confused
Scooby Regular

Again, thanks for the pic. I have been meaning to ask for a while what the holes and cut out ment!

Tidy...
Old 04 October 2009, 09:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mindphaser
Well, checked the coolant tonight and it's showing just above half way between min and full. Tried opening the header tank's pressure cap (assume this is the one on top of the radiator with Do not open when hot sticker on it) and couldn't get it off - could turn it half circle but wouldn't come off? Is it best just to try and replace this first? Is it possible to buy coolant?...
Yeah, that's it.

It should turn anti-clockwise for about half a turn and come off. If it's well stuck, then that could well be threason why the coolant is not being drawn back into the header tank, when the engine cools. Defo buy a new OEM 0.9bar rated one and go from there...

You can get 'em off eBay brand new for about £10.
Old 04 October 2009, 09:28 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

hi ive got a 2001 bugeye had the car a year now due its 10k service its got 8ok on the clock and dosnt use a drop touch wood
Old 04 October 2009, 10:07 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got two pressure caps on the 2003 coolant system.
The one you're trying to take off is on the radiator and will result in a pool of water on your shoes.
The fill point for coolant is the metal header tank on the lhs of the inlet manifold.
Tha rad cap is round, the header tank cap has two stubs on it.
They need a bit of wiggling to remove if stuck in place.

nick

Last edited by Butty; 05 October 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05 October 2009, 01:50 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Oops sorry mp. I assumed the 2003 car had the same single cap on the header tank as the Classics, and when you said rad cap, | didn't realsie you meant it literally (if you see what I mean.)

Cheers to Butty for the clarification, etc...

Last edited by joz8968; 05 October 2009 at 10:54 AM.