Remap = smoke...?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2009, 09:58 AM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap = smoke...? Attention JGM

Hi,
Iv just had my 2001 wrx remapped and last night on tickover when the engine hot it started smoking, it looked grey and smelt like burning oil.
I turned the engine off and on again and it stopped.

I noticed later on in my jurney that it started again on tickover but the car was sat ticking over for about 3-4 mins before it started smoking.

I had the map set up to run rich on over run to give a anti lag effect so I thought it might just be over fueling on tickover .......?

What we thinking??

Last edited by shaddow; 21 August 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 21 August 2009, 10:05 AM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

im thinking bore wash. the petrol and oil is mixing then burning in the exhaust.

possibly???? dunno im just speculating.
Old 21 August 2009, 10:29 AM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

He also said he altered the timing as well as the fueling.
I was hoping it was nothing serious as it does not smoke on boost or general driving.
Old 21 August 2009, 11:35 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask JGM (Jolly Green Monster) - Simon's on here quite a lot he'll probably be able to answer your question - just post a "Attention JGM"
Old 21 August 2009, 11:36 AM
motorola222
Scooby Regular

^ +1 wtf was he doing altering the timing risky business inst it.
Old 21 August 2009, 12:09 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Done!
Old 21 August 2009, 01:03 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

ignition timing surely... I.e. fuel and ignition maps were altered?
Old 21 August 2009, 01:15 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, thats correct.
I had the car fully mapped to 276 bhp and I asked if he could add a anti lag style popping on over run so he altered the fueling and ignition timing on over run to achieve this.
Hope thats a bit clearer
Old 21 August 2009, 03:57 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not normal.
Seen that on one wrx and after some digging the plugs had done 60k and one was v badly worn.
New set sorted it.
What did who ever mapped this one say?
Old 21 August 2009, 04:34 PM
crasherkid
Scooby Newbie

just curious to this as i have a 06 wrx and after had full de-cat system but no re-map yet found the same problem smoking at idle and smells pretty bad but once driving seems ok till a few minutes at idle read a lot of forums with people with the same problem asked a local subaru garage and said it was the turbo that had gone even though only done 20k but dont really feel any power loss.. i aint that clued up on this stuff so any further advice wud be appreciated as just about to buy a td05 16g upgrade and wud i need remap straight after..? thanks
Old 21 August 2009, 05:17 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Not normal.
Seen that on one wrx and after some digging the plugs had done 60k and one was v badly worn.
New set sorted it.
What did who ever mapped this one say?
They said if Id just been hoofing it that it may be just pulling some oil through. I was spanking it prior to it smoking it to be fair.

They said keep an eye on the oil level and check to see if it does it again.

Il check the plugs this weekend too.
Old 21 August 2009, 05:25 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crasherkid
just curious to this as i have a 06 wrx and after had full de-cat system but no re-map yet found the same problem smoking at idle and smells pretty bad but once driving seems ok till a few minutes at idle read a lot of forums with people with the same problem asked a local subaru garage and said it was the turbo that had gone even though only done 20k but dont really feel any power loss.. i aint that clued up on this stuff so any further advice wud be appreciated as just about to buy a td05 16g upgrade and wud i need remap straight after..? thanks

Could possibly be your seals on the turbo, or could be something else.

When you fully decat a newage without remap, they overboost and often det somewhere through the map as theyre trying to spool earlier as there is less restriction but there is not enough fuel in that part of the map.

So can cause all sorts of damage to different places.

Best to get a remap upon installing the decat.
Old 21 August 2009, 06:04 PM
crasherkid
Scooby Newbie

ive had the decat for about 2 weeks now and eemed to be from then as didnt really notice it before as it is only on idle and after been sat for few minutes it doesw smell very much of oil and recently had to top... so guessing it sounds like the seals then?.. and so if i do get an uprated turbo i need to get more a less instantly a remap is that correct as it is an everyday car for me..? thanks for the help
Old 21 August 2009, 07:02 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crasherkid
ive had the decat for about 2 weeks now and eemed to be from then as didnt really notice it before as it is only on idle and after been sat for few minutes it doesw smell very much of oil and recently had to top... so guessing it sounds like the seals then?.. and so if i do get an uprated turbo i need to get more a less instantly a remap is that correct as it is an everyday car for me..? thanks for the help
I'd hazard a guess at it being the seals yes on what you have said.

If you get say a TD05 instead of your TD04 your running now, you will need a map immediatly as the car will run very badly all the fueling etc will be wrong which could then potentially kill your motor, which you dont really want.

Id advise getting yourself an STi topmount intercooler, STi injectors and then the STi turbo, which I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what the newage STi turbo is. Possibly a walbro fuel pump. Then get it mapped straight away, that with the decat you will make a reliable 340hp that you can use everyday.

Otherwise, you'd be better off just getting a replacement TD04 and getting it mapped for the decat I'd imagine you'd see around 270 maybe with the decat.

I personally would go with the other option of the STi bolt on bits and a remap, that way your getting alot more power for not a lot of money and still having to get a remap.
Old 21 August 2009, 08:08 PM
crasherkid
Scooby Newbie

the sti top mount and the injectors was exactly my plan but am stuck in a bit of a situation as am i damaging the motor now driving with damaged seals as i need to get to work too but am driving steadily.. and hopin to replace the turbo this week.. is the sti turbo not a tdo5 16g...? really appreciate ur help gonna ring yo moz to see prices and booking for the mapping..